Advanced search

To go to minor injuries with this?

(12 Posts)
Fisharepeopletoo Wed 16-Sep-15 12:53:45

Need some advise as I'm not sure if I'm just being melodramatic about this!

The other day (Sunday) I woke up with a sore leg. Hurts mildly when just doing normal things like sitting down, walking around but is extremely, massively painful If you press down on the front of my shin bone in one specific spot. As in, makes me scream and almost cry kind of pain.

Not had an 'accident' of any sort that I can think of that I may have injured myself in, no bruising or swelling, it looks totally normal except for hurting like a bitch.

A quick google (I know, I know, bad idea) comes up with either shin splints or a stress fracture as likely causes and it does seem to fit the criteria for the stress fracture but says that it's an injury commonly associated with running and I never ever run, although I have started exercising recently when I never use to before.

I'm totally stumped as to why it's hurting so much and want to get it checked out but I don't want to seem like a hypochondriac just going to minor injuries for a sore leg! Wibu to go there?

AtAt Wed 16-Sep-15 13:12:50

I was actually going to suggest an stress fracture before I saw you had googled it already. I would go to minor injuries. I went to the DR's with a possible stress fracture, and I had to be referred for an xray. It's best to get it checked, as if it is a stress fracture, you need to rest it, so better to be Sade than sorry. Hope you feel better soonflowers

Epilepsyhelp Wed 16-Sep-15 13:14:05

I would go to the GP. I got my head ripped off by the Dr at minor injuries and illnesses when I went in with a fast developing skin infection.

TheBunnyOfDoom Wed 16-Sep-15 13:15:11

I would go. If it's a fracture you'll need to get it x-rayed anyway.

Witchend Wed 16-Sep-15 14:16:14

Shin splints is something I get, usually when I've been trying to walk fast on pavements.

It's an ache down the front on my leg, dull ache when not using, but painful when walking. Walking uphill when it's been bad can be very hard. Also I can't move my foot fully up and down. I tend to get it in both legs, although worse in one.
It certainly doesn't hurt worse to press it, if anything it eases it.

So I'd go and get checked for a stress fracture as it doesn't sound like shin splints.

Fisharepeopletoo Wed 16-Sep-15 14:19:07

Would it be better for me to go straight to minor injuries rather than to the GP first? Last time I went to the GP they just send me straight to the minor injuries anyway, and since my transport is being fixed atm I'll have to get taxis.

Fisharepeopletoo Wed 16-Sep-15 14:21:55

That's what I've been thinking witch, it's definately only in one leg and I have full range of motion in my foot. It's very painful to press on.

INeedNewShoes Wed 16-Sep-15 14:26:46

I would go to minor injuries. Without an x-ray the GP won't be able to rule out a stress fracture I would have thought.

(I got stress fractures in my metatarsals just from walking a lot on hard pavements in flat ballet shoes - it doesn't have to be a sports injury).

AtAt Wed 16-Sep-15 21:30:52

How did you get on fish?

jorahmormont Thu 17-Sep-15 02:26:52

I had shin splints/stress fracture (never figured out what it was as it eventually went away) after a half marathon, and it sounded exactly like what you described. I screamed and howled with pain - it was one of the worst pains I've ever felt.

Hope you've managed to get seen and are feeling better.

Purplepixiedust Thu 17-Sep-15 14:08:25

I would ring your GP and ask what you should do. I did this after a fall in the snow where I twisted my knee and they advised me to go to a&e.

Owllady Thu 17-Sep-15 14:11:33

Minor injuries. Hope it's all okay

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: