Talk

Advanced search

To want to know what my ds has done today?

(6 Posts)
Hidingbehindclouds Tue 15-Sep-15 16:05:55

It was ds(3)s first day at preschool today. He has been there from 7.30 this morning until 3.15. I wanted to start with a half day but the staff suggested we start as we mean to go on and do the full day.
I arrived 5 mins early for pickup and waited outside the room with other parents, then suddenly the door flew open, ds was ushered out and I was told his 'stuff' was in the corner of the cloakroom. (Coat and wellies, bag with spare clothes etc) I caught the eye of the room manager who put her thumbs up and smiled and the door was closed.
I knocked because his lunchbox wasn't there, and one of the staff opened the door, handed me his dripping lunchbox and closed the door again. I assumed they were very busy so thought I could call later to find out what happened.
When we got home, ds immediately asked for a drink and downed three cups before stating he was hungry. I looked in his lunchbox and of everything I put in, there was a small yoghurt and half a small sandwich missing. A carton of juice had been opened with straw insitu and put back full so everything was soaked. He was possibly too excited/wound up to eat but I would have expected him to have a snack at some point.
He's in a new set of clothes and the ones he was wearing are covered in yoghurt. Mainly on the shoulder and back! Ds is a very neat eater and rarely spills, let alone throws over his shoulder....
I know they have lots of kids to look after, but couldn't they have spared me more than a thumbs up on his first day? Or should I just accept that he's still alive so that's fine. Should I call them or just stop worrying?

CigarsofthePharoahs Tue 15-Sep-15 16:19:07

My DS never ate much at preschool the whole year he was there. Apparently he kept wandering off to the loo and not returning. He regularly left me open food to deal with, drinks, yoghurts, crisps etc. Was usually quite grim!
They were so good in every other regard I didn't complain. Perhaps see how he goes over the next few days?

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Tue 15-Sep-15 16:20:36

Did he enjoy himself? Did he seem happy when you picked him up? If so I wouldn't worry too much, especially about the dirty clothes, there'll be much worse before long!
Do the preschool do a diary of what the kids get up to? Ours do and this would have a word or two if ds didn't eat, but I wouldn't worry about it unless it happened several times if he's otherwise happy.

LittleLionMansMummy Tue 15-Sep-15 16:27:21

I would make sure you speak to them when he's next there. Tbh if it was his first day then I would have expected a proper handover, however busy they are. Yanbu but perhaps next time need to be a bit more forthcoming - hang around until someone is free to talk to you.

arethereanyleftatall Tue 15-Sep-15 16:50:00

It's hard to get used to when you're used to a full run down from a nursery, but I'm afraid you'll have to get used to this. It would have been nice to have given you a few minutes on his first day though!

Osolea Tue 15-Sep-15 18:47:58

I work in a reception class, and I wouldn't think it was ok to treat families like that at school, let alone pre school.

If a child doesn't eat any lunch then we'd talk to the parents, and we certainly wouldn't allow a child to ruin their lunchbox or not even drink their drink at lunchtime.

I wouldn't worry about the yoghurty clothes though. Messy children at the end of the day is a good thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now