to be slightly offended by this?

(23 Posts)
magicpuppy Tue 15-Sep-15 10:31:25

I recently bumped into a woman I used to know socially.

She was part of a large group of people I knew but I was never particularly friendly with her on a one to one level. Nothing negative but I never was bothered about becoming friendlier with her.

Over several years the group drifted apart. I'm still friends with the ones I was always friends with but don't see the others at all.

Anyway I bumped into this woman. We said hello politely that was that. Now I see she has friend requested me on Facebook. She could have done this any time for years as we have some mutual friends.

AIBU to be thinking that the reason she requested me having met me is that I am overweight and from her page she is obviously involved in selling some stupid diet crap.

Not subtle at all, is it?

BowiesJumper Tue 15-Sep-15 10:35:46

That's a bit of an assumption isn't it?

DoJo Tue 15-Sep-15 10:35:58

I think you could be reading too much into it - if she hasn't seen you for a while and then had you at the forefront of her mind, sending you a friend request is quite a natural thing to do. If she does try to sell you her diet crap, then you can un-friend and be done with it, but I wouldn't assume that her interest was limited to your weight unless there was good reason to.

magicpuppy Tue 15-Sep-15 10:36:25

Meant to add that although I am slightly offended I am more amused by it than anything. Her page is full of the diet stuff. Did she think I wouldn't notice? grin

MelanieCheeks Tue 15-Sep-15 10:37:37

You're making assumptions abut her motives, but you don't have to accept her friend request if you don't want to!

PurpleDaisies Tue 15-Sep-15 10:38:01

Don't you think it's more likely that since you'd actually met recently that was why she added you?

If you're leaping to it's because you're overweight I think you should consider whether you have some issues with your self esteem.

WorraLiberty Tue 15-Sep-15 10:38:03

Errrm yeah YANBU, that'll be exactly what it is.

Because it couldn't possibly be that she thought, "Oh there's a blast from the past, I think I'll see if she's on FB and add her".... hmm

magicpuppy Tue 15-Sep-15 10:39:59

Maybe I am being a bit unreasonable but we were never friends. Never had more than a 'hi, how are you?' , 'fine, and you?' conversation and that was 10 years ago so why the sudden interest now?

Hellocampers Tue 15-Sep-15 10:40:34

Jesus op do you normally over think like this.

She's met you again and wants to be friends.

Your self esteem sounds really low. She probably just wants to be friends again. It's nice.

magicpuppy Tue 15-Sep-15 10:41:31

OK. I accept I am being unreasonable. I only have people on Facebook that I am actually friends with so I did wonder at her motivation.

Houseworkavoider Tue 15-Sep-15 10:42:04

Maybe she thinks you're nice and wants to be friends!
Why is that not the first thing you thought?

Tootsiepops Tue 15-Sep-15 10:42:15

Don't accept the request unless you want your fb newsfeed filled with diet crap.

From what I understand about people who get involved in selling this shite, everyone is a potential sales mark so I'm guessing she is in fact hoping you'll buy from her.

ShadowLine Tue 15-Sep-15 10:42:38

I think it's more likely that seeing you has brought you to the front of her mind, so she's been thinking about you the next time she was on FB.

Assuming that she's adding you because she thinks you need to lose weight is a bit of a leap.

LurkingHusband Tue 15-Sep-15 10:45:26

A lifelong quote I first read on MN is "you wouldn't worry what other people thought about you if you knew how rarely they thought about you" ...

magicpuppy Tue 15-Sep-15 10:47:11

I didn't think she thought that I'm nice and she wants to be friends because she doesn't know me!

I saw her. Remembered that I used to sometimes see her in the pub 10 years ago and said hello nicely. That was it til I opened her request, looked at her page and it's all about selling some diet products that I have seen talked about on here as being a hard sell type of business.

And my self esteem is fine. I am working on losing weight myself - the best way by being conscious of what I eat and exercising more. Not by buying a lot of expensive supplement.

Hoppinggreen Tue 15-Sep-15 10:49:23

Her diet crap is probably one of those multi level marketing ( ie pyramid) schemes so she Probably adds anyone on FB she can think off to flog crap to and get to join her team.
So she's trying to make money off you rather than suggesting you are fat, not sure which is worse really

catkind Tue 15-Sep-15 10:54:29

Hmm, initially thought nah, all sorts of random people have fb friended me at random points in our acquaintance or lack thereof, none of them have ever tried to sell me anything.
But... if it looks like she's using her fb as a selling page, then - I wouldn't be offended but I wouldn't accept either. She probably does it to everyone thin or fat.

yumyumpoppycat Tue 15-Sep-15 10:55:50

YAB slightly U. Diet crap aside would you have said yes to the request?

magicpuppy Tue 15-Sep-15 10:58:46

Wouldn't have said yes anyway as I don't know her so therefor would not want her knowing what is going on in my life. I have no interest in hers.

Maybe I do Facebook wrong confused I like to look at photos of my friends and family, see what's going on with them. I have no interest in the lives of people I once vaguely knew.

Houseworkavoider Tue 15-Sep-15 19:11:45

Ah good.
Sounds like she's out to make a buck. I'll bet she adds people every day.

WickedWax Tue 15-Sep-15 19:16:31

If you have no interest in the life of someone you once vaguest knew then delete the request and move on.

You've got yourself feeling offended over something you've made up in your own head.

cremeeggboycotter Tue 15-Sep-15 20:07:36

If you don't want to know don't accept her.

If you want to know her more, or know if she's a user then accept her and see what happens. Have a scathing reply prepared if she's using you to make a buck!

IAmNotDarling Tue 15-Sep-15 20:14:41

I think she was trying to sell me diet shite too. YANBU.

No self esteem issues either.

Is is Forever Living or Herbalife? If it is add her and provide this thread with updates grin on her craziness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now