Talk

Advanced search

To HATE my landlady?

(10 Posts)
CowPatRoberts Thu 10-Sep-15 12:56:24

We have a landlady who is a bit of a pain in the arse, she's very passive aggressive but it's a nice flat and the rent isn't too steep.

However she takes a LONG time to do repairs, we have a broken window in the bathroom that was reported in November but apparently the joiner is only now returning her calls and we'd scheduled for him to come on Monday and fix it. She cancelled, and then sent me a text this morning to say she would be coming round today (not asking, telling) and when I politely asked her to take a rain check as we'd need a bit more notice, she replied with "You had notice earlier in the week. I really think that stands but i will pass onto joiner. I can't be pressured into getting uridine if it's been put off. And please don't tell me how to run my tenancies as I've run more than you'll ever likely to have in a lifetime."

I don't really know how to respond to this, I don't want to get into an argument (particularly via text) but equally I know she has to give us notice. In our last place we had the landlord letting himself in when we were out and taking things, which culminated in the police getting involved so there is a very good reason for my request and I don't think I've been unreasonable.

Pleurepaslabouchepleine Thu 10-Sep-15 13:10:08

Gosh she sounds like my ex-landlady, she almost hit me on our checkout day because I called her petty ! She was a very nasty bitch !

ToastyFingers Thu 10-Sep-15 13:10:23

I'm a bit of a bitch, but I'd text back saying something along the lines of:

Although you profess to have endless experience as a landlord you seem woefully ignorant of my rights as a tenant.

I am entitled to more notice before you access my home.

NotYouNaanBread Thu 10-Sep-15 13:21:29

Wow.

I would love to text back:

I'm afraid today is not convenient. Tomorrow or Saturday would be fine though. Thank you for getting this sorted - it has been unpleasant having a broken window for 10 months.

Was that last part of your message meant for somebody else, possibly? I doubt you meant to say "please don't tell me how to run my tenancies as I've run more than you'll ever likely to have in a lifetime" to me.

Let me know about tomorrow/Saturday when you can.

Best,
Cowpat

Obv. I wouldn't say that, but I'd love to.

CowPatRoberts Thu 10-Sep-15 13:35:04

The urge to reply with a scathing comment is strong but the advice from my partner is to just reply "okay, thank you"

vulgarbunting Thu 10-Sep-15 13:36:36

If it was me I would be desperate to get into an argument...but it would just make me more and more mad. She sounds totally irrational. Take the higher ground. If she tries it on again then quote the law.

Having said that, I totally feel your pain. We had something in our contract that we asked to be done. The landlord called me a liar, which made me so mad. I just dug out the contract and proved that I was right.

Another friend, living with her boyfriend in a nice flat in London, both professionals, treated it well, paid rent on time etc. was evicted with 12 days notice because the landlord decided she wanted to live there. She didnt have their deposit in a protection scheme so held some back so that she could get it prodessionally cleaned (despite just a normal clean being in the contract). Such terrible treatment of tenants!

CowPatRoberts Thu 10-Sep-15 15:26:16

Also, she really seems like the type to take as much of the deposit as she can- anything I can do to pre-empt another disaster there if/when I leave?

NotAWhaleOmeletteInSight Thu 10-Sep-15 22:13:54

No advice, but YANBU.

When I was a student we had an awful landlady. We ended up withholding the final month's rent, because her record of illegal behaviour left us with no confidence that it would be returned. We put this in writing and she gave us notice - but we were all moving out anyway.

CowPatRoberts Fri 11-Sep-15 13:04:36

What's the legal stance on that?

frenchcheeses Fri 11-Sep-15 14:08:24

Out of interest did she protect your deposit correctly? If not and she continues to be a cow, move somewhere else and sue her for between 1 and 3 times the deposit. You'd win if she didn't protect it (and within the required timeframe etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now