Advanced search

Hospital or???

(96 Posts)
pinkpepperpod Tue 08-Sep-15 15:36:49

Daughter has come home like this. She says she has double vision. What should I be doing? AIBU to think A&E? I don't just run there for every little thing, in fact she's 14 and has never been, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

skinoncustard Tue 08-Sep-15 15:39:13

How did it happen ?

The80sweregreat Tue 08-Sep-15 15:40:51

you should take her to the doctor, she may need drops.

pinkpepperpod Tue 08-Sep-15 15:41:59

A boy punched her, but we think it might have been his fingernail

hullabaloo234 Tue 08-Sep-15 15:43:32

depends how she did it. blunt force trauma or foreign body I would say get it checked a walk in, but if experiencing double vision perhaps call for advice re A&E.

I have burst blood vessels in my eyes many a time with violent vomiting and they always clear up on their own after a few days/weeks.

WhatTheJeffHasGoneOnHere Tue 08-Sep-15 15:43:45

Yes I would, or eye casualty if you have one.

A boy punched her??

pinkpepperpod Tue 08-Sep-15 15:44:18

I've tried getting an emergency gp appt, but they have nothing today. She could maybe wait but is crying and very distressed.

Konserve Tue 08-Sep-15 15:44:21

or eye hospital if they have an a&e there

booboobeedoo Tue 08-Sep-15 15:44:39

AandE for the double vision. Where are you? Specialist eye one if poss. (e.g. Moorfields in London)

Gruntfuttock Tue 08-Sep-15 15:45:03

Can you get her to your GP?

Konserve Tue 08-Sep-15 15:45:17

and police
that's serious assault

Nc19999992 Tue 08-Sep-15 15:45:29

I wouldn't mess around with eyes, if she's got double vision then I'd get her checked out. Might be worth ringing nhs direct and seeing if they can help?

WhatTheJeffHasGoneOnHere Tue 08-Sep-15 15:45:40

And police for the boy.

Gruntfuttock Tue 08-Sep-15 15:45:42

Sorry, cross-posted with your last post about the GP.

KurriKurri Tue 08-Sep-15 15:46:37

this website may help - I think your DD fulfills several of the criteria on there for a trip to a and e, I would be concerned about the double vision.

Utterly shocked she was punched - poor child, how awful for her (hoping it was an accident. not an attack on her) sad

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 08-Sep-15 15:46:39

No she can't wait. She's had a blunt force injury to her eye and has double vision. Get it seen to today at A&E if you don't have an eye unit you can access.

SnottySundays Tue 08-Sep-15 15:47:09

Hospital- go to A&e. Don't bother with GP they don't have the equipment to have a proper look.

LunchpackOfNotreDame Tue 08-Sep-15 15:48:26

A&e and notify the police and school

WhatTheJeffHasGoneOnHere Tue 08-Sep-15 15:48:41

The hospital will have the right equipment to look in her eyes. The GP won't.

Griphook Tue 08-Sep-15 15:49:30

Looks like he's takes a scoop out if her eye, yes take her to a & e, may need something to stop germs getting in

lessthanBeau Tue 08-Sep-15 15:50:26

Go to a and e, if the sclera (thin film that covers the eye) is split it could need stitching under ga. My DS got a stick poked in his eye, the gp said he may need a stitch go to a&e if you want, turns out the stick had gone thru his eyelid and split the sclera, he was in hospital overnight had stitches under ga and was off school for 8 weeks as stitches in the eye are super delicate. Don't mess about with eyes, if I hadn't taken my DS to hospital he could have lost his sight to infection.

Noeuf Tue 08-Sep-15 15:50:33

In similarish cases I've gone to our optician - DS wears glasses and they have been great.

Maryz Tue 08-Sep-15 15:51:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Smoothyloopy Tue 08-Sep-15 15:51:40

Minor injuries unit, if you have one near by.

pinkpepperpod Tue 08-Sep-15 15:52:37

Thank you all. I'm going to take her to a&e. I wasn't sure if I was over reacting, but you can't be too careful with eyes.

She's apparently had a day of having stones and acorns (?) thrown at her, and being called a spastic by the boy and a girl, and then this. The school are aware, and this happened at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now