Talk

Advanced search

Fly tipping dilema...

(8 Posts)
minionmadness Tue 08-Sep-15 10:27:17

We live in a rural location at the bottom of a very long winding single width road. There are fields surrounding the road and the 7 houses.

This morning I'm coming back home after school run, as I turn a bend there is a pick up truck tipping a load of rubbish into one of the entrances to the field. I have to stop because he is taking up the width of the road. There are two men in the truck.

My first instinct is to get out and confront them, this is where I live and they are dumping a truck load of rubbish in my back yard so to speak. I don't though, I was on my own with two men who had been caught out so who knows what they might do. I thought I would get a picture of the number plate and report it but one of the men wouldn't take his eyes of me and frankly even though I'm not usually intimidated I darn't lift my phone. I managed to get a quick picture of only half the number plate as they reversed into the entrance to the field to let me past.

I get here and I'm furious with myself for not saying anything to them and I'm sat here thinking about the possible consequences of reporting them. They know my car and number plate, they know where I live and although I'm furious at what they have done I don't want to report and potentially put my family in harms way.

WIBU to not report this...

Snowfilledsky Tue 08-Sep-15 10:34:26

Can you report anonymously?

I would be livid too. We used to get it a lot around here. Sometimes blocking the lane completely.

minionmadness Tue 08-Sep-15 10:37:33

Even if I report anonymously they will know it was me I was the only person who saw them and they know that.

There are signs at various points down the lane displaying the fine for fly tipping.

TenForward82 Tue 08-Sep-15 10:37:57

You alone with two dodgy bold-as-brass blokes fly tipping in the middle of the day? You were sensible not to say anything. I'd definitely report though. They don't know exactly where you live and I doubt they made note of your number plate.

Snowfilledsky Tue 08-Sep-15 10:39:37

Sorry minion yes, (brain not working today).

Do they really know where you live?

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 08-Sep-15 11:53:21

101, non emergency police?

minionmadness Tue 08-Sep-15 14:09:03

I decided against reporting since the lane is a dead end and there are only our 7 houses at the bottom of it so they definitely know where to find us.

This goes against what my head is telling me to do but I'm not prepared to risk anything happening to either our home or any member of the family which may be a possibility should I report them.

Radiatorvalves Tue 08-Sep-15 14:18:02

Your choice, but not one i would have made. If anything did happen the police would know exactly where to look. You could tell police how intimidated these criminals made you feel. Not doing anything means that they may come back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now