Talk

Advanced search

To think this is a pisstake considering the circumstances?

(6 Posts)
YoureNotAlone Sat 05-Sep-15 22:50:49

My lovely kind Dad passed away unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago. He lived abroad, and we had the funeral over there, but I said to my Brother that perhaps we ought to place a notice in the local paper (in UK) of where he spent most of his life, just to notify people of his death, as he had a lot of friends there.

So I go on to the website tonight, and the cheapest 'announcement' will cost around £125 shock I mean for Christ sake, it's a few words just to notify people of my Dads passing, that's all.
Robbing fuckers! Why do they have to rip you off when you are at your lowest?! I appreciate I am totally fed up and down atm but that IS a bit steep surely?

BifsWif Sat 05-Sep-15 22:55:50

That is expensive! It's free in our local paper if you do it online, but £25 if you go in to do it.

I'm sorry for your loss flowers

ButterflyUpSoHigh Sat 05-Sep-15 22:56:46

It is expensive but normal cost for such an announcement. My uncle passed away and my auntie couldn't face going to pay the final bill. My parents paid for her and were given an itemised bill. The newspaper charged £125 and the funeral directors charged £30 for contacting the newspaper. Sadly everything is expensive these days.

HirplesWithHaggis Sat 05-Sep-15 22:56:51

It does seem steep, but how does it compare to the rates for hatches and matches?

YoureNotAlone Sat 05-Sep-15 23:08:04

I didn't look Hirples but I was just trying to say considering the circumstances that someone close has just died, it seems a rip off. Where as if it's expensive to announce an engagement/birth the circumstances are happier, so people are less worried about the cost.
Not sure if I'm making sense, or just sounding a bit 'woe is me' now confused

HirplesWithHaggis Sat 05-Sep-15 23:56:31

You are making sense, and it is a bit of a rip off. Funerals are ridiculously expensive anyway (or they can be) but it's kind of like weddings where the price goes up when you mention it; no-one wants to look mean for either event because money spent = how much you love(d) the other person involved. sad

I'm sorry for your loss. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now