Have i blown my chance with this job?

(12 Posts)
SunshineAndChampange Thu 03-Sep-15 20:21:00

Not aibu, just posting for traffic.

on the first application when applying it asked if i had any criminal record i said NO as i have phoned the police before for other jobs who told me i don't have to declare a criminal record i occurred as a minor.
I was asked to register online (before interview but offered interview at this time) so the company can check my crb so i did and it asked if i had a criminal record this time i ticked the YES box as my dad told me that an enhanced crb will show even if its a minor
i had the interview and was going to say i had a juvenile record but there was two interviewers and i felt awkward tbh

Lady phoned me yesterday and said i got the job, she asked me to fill out the DBS and i said i already did it and i said to her i have a minor record for shoplifting once when i was 15 and i was told i didnt have to declare it
she sounded ok about it but did say i was suppose to declare it and she will discuss with me when she calls me in to check my paper work

do you think ive blown this job?
i honestly didnt think i had to declare a minor record, i was told this.
im 27 now

its a job as a PA/admin assistant for a secondary school

GloriaHotcakes Thu 03-Sep-15 20:22:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

19lottie82 Thu 03-Sep-15 20:23:42

I don't think you do have declare it if it's considered "spent" (ie after 5 years) this should have been detailed on the form? Lots of people make silly mistakes when they are younger, they will see this all the time, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good luck with the job!

Maidupmum Thu 03-Sep-15 20:25:32

I'm a HT and deal with this quite often. It will probably come back on your DBS but its at the discretion of the HT whether they chose to still employ you (with advice from HR). 1 shoplifting conviction as a juvenile wouldn't worry me in the slightest smile

TheOddity Thu 03-Sep-15 20:27:52

No don't worry, she probably just wants to ensure you are honest when you talk to her about it in person. Just say it was an honest mistake and you'd been assured by police it wasn't something that should be declared

OneBreathAfterAnother Thu 03-Sep-15 20:30:19

You do have to declare juvenile offences.

You don't have to declare spent offences but if the job requires an enhanced disclosure, they will show, so it would be normal practice to declare them.

scarlets Thu 03-Sep-15 20:32:26

i would still offer you the role.

SunshineAndChampange Thu 03-Sep-15 20:46:43

thank you, its been stressing me so much, ive been a sahm for two years so this is the first job ive been offered since then. I would be so sad if i lost it!

bringthenoise Thu 03-Sep-15 20:54:23

SunshineAndChampange Thu 03-Sep-15 21:05:55

bringthenoise,
it did say that and i said no but on the dbs registration it asked again and i said yes

bringthenoise Thu 03-Sep-15 21:16:49

MI6Agent Thu 03-Sep-15 21:22:08

If you had an issue you could potentially 'argue' that a contract has been agree (verbal offer minus a written statement is still a contract if you verbally accepted£).

However, as others have said, just be honest and it shouldn't be an issue.

Congrats by the way smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now