Talk

Advanced search

Restaurant workers smoking out the front

(58 Posts)
Alwayssunny Thu 03-Sep-15 13:27:57

So, not sure I'm actually asking if AIBU as I'm posting an opinion or a feeling but no doubt I will be told IUBU!

Out the front of my local supermarket there is usually a group of four to six uniformed workers having a cigarette. They may not have started their shifts at that point granted but today I certainly saw one of them at work in the cafe a few minutes after I saw her outside smoking. I noticed her as she was next to the cashpoint when I was queuing for it and she had very recognisable hair.

Two of them had hair nets on suggesting a job directly in contact with food.

I'm an anti smoker I accept that and understand not everyone feels the same way but I felt a bit yuck that she would be serving food so soon after smoking and wearing the same uniform.

They are advised to wash their hands I guess but smoke travels on clothes and I'm amazed the shop doesn't mind them doing this.

So come on, throw the book at me for being a horrible judgemental busy body!!

gobbynorthernbird Thu 03-Sep-15 13:29:15

What do you think will happen to your food?

YANAgurl1973 Thu 03-Sep-15 13:31:06

I think it looks so unprofessional.

MischiefInTheWind Thu 03-Sep-15 13:34:41

Unprofessional? hmm
They are on minimum wage, snatching a break. Yes, they have to wash their hands before going back on the food counters.
Working in a supermarket isn't a profession, it's a basic level job.

Justmuddlingalong Thu 03-Sep-15 13:38:51

The stories I've heard about food production factories makes cafe workers fag breaks, the least of my worries.

BathshebaDarkstone Thu 03-Sep-15 13:39:05

Are you one of those people who worry about flying poo germs as well? hmm

5Foot5 Thu 03-Sep-15 13:40:20

You are being a horrible judgemental busy body!

Why is it yuck that they are serving food after smoking, wearing the same uniform? Presumably you don't expect them to have a complete change of clothes and a shower after visiting the toilet, which would surely have more implications for hygiene. A good hand-wash with soap and water usually suffices. So why should the smoking be any different?

If it wasn't for the regulations we have now about smoking indoors they would have been doing this in the privacy of a staff restroom and you wouldn't know anything about it.

londonrach Thu 03-Sep-15 13:43:23

Yanbu. Im Afraid i also judge if i see workers smoking outside a resturant and have not gone in. (Hangs head in shame)

londonrach Thu 03-Sep-15 13:44:23

Restaurant!

NewLife4Me Thu 03-Sep-15 13:46:03

But they aren't professional and want a cig break.
They could have had one a few feet away and out of your sight and you'd be none the wiser.
This isn't a problem at all.
It's the ones who are taking in washing whilst they are serving you who don't wash their hands that may be a problem.

googoodolly Thu 03-Sep-15 13:48:06

YABU. If they're smokers, the smell will be on them anyway. It makes no real difference whether they last smoked 5 minutes ago or 55 minutes ago. Plus, supermarkets can't police what people do in their uniform before/after shift. There's nothing stopping them smoking in uniform before work even if they can't smoke during breaks.

Twindroops Thu 03-Sep-15 13:50:18

I get paid minimum wage, I take pride in what I do and am quite offended buy the implication that because I am not well paid I am beneath "professional".

A close family member runs a shop and his staff who smoke do so out of sight of customers. Unlike my local tescos where they all smoke by the front door. There is no need, it is not a good look for the business that wants to attract customers I assume. YANBU OP, it does look unprofessional.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 03-Sep-15 13:50:42

I'm surprised there's no area for them to have their fag break other than the front of their place of work, seems very unfair that they haven't got somewhere to go.

Which supermarket is it?

Strawberryfield12 Thu 03-Sep-15 13:51:20

I am really annoyed by anyone smoking at the entrance of the public use building where inside it is prohibited to smoke. Because there is smoke still entering the building and people don't have smoke free access because of them. there are children and people with health issues, pregnant women who are forced to breath smoke to access the building. Especially annoying when employees smoke at the entrance of the offices. Either employers should adopt non smokers recruitment policy or should provide specially designated space for smoking employees if they don't want to exclude a number of potential employees. But in no circumstances should suffer a pregnant woman going for food shopping with her two year old or a person with pulmon condition.

Twindroops Thu 03-Sep-15 13:52:53

^^ I have no problem with employees smoking btw as long as hands are washed I just think hanging out the front of the supermarket bit is unneccessary. In that sense OP YABU!

5Foot5 Thu 03-Sep-15 13:56:42

there are children and people with health issues, pregnant women who are forced to breath smoke to access the building.

hmm The miniscule amount of smoke that you would have to breathe to walk past a few smokers outside an entrance to a building is far less harmful then the car fumes you would have already inhaled on your journey to the building.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 03-Sep-15 13:57:00

I think anyone who obstructs entrances is annoying. whether smoking or not.

It just makes me think "hope they wash their hands" tbh

if you want to see something really indicative walk past the back of the building.

you won't care so much about the smoking once you see the flies around rotting food in the bins or the the rubbish on the ground or the take away boxes kept on a manky looking window sill and window...

Olddear Thu 03-Sep-15 13:57:44

YANBU.

lardyscouse Thu 03-Sep-15 14:03:14

There is, near me, a catering firm who will berate any smoker who walks past their premises. Regularly washes down the pavement outside and provides hand wash at events [for paying customers] yet stack their produce on crates which are stacked outside which passing dogs wee on and cats sleep on! rather have a bit of fag smoke.

MsJamieFraser Thu 03-Sep-15 14:06:59

you can judge them, but there is nothing you can do, or there employers for that matter. They can ask them to make sure the company's logo isn't visible on there uniform but do not think they can enforce it x

Alwayssunny Thu 03-Sep-15 14:07:55

Eww Giles!

<vows to go self sufficient and buys a goat>

RachelZoe Thu 03-Sep-15 14:11:26

YABU and a little bit precious.

LurkingHusband Thu 03-Sep-15 14:13:06

In other news Nottingham Council would like to ban all council workers from smoking. Including to and from work ...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34136455

Smoking breaks could be banned for thousands of council employees under new proposals, it has emerged.
Nottinghamshire County Council wants to bar its 9,000 employees from smoking during work time.
The ban would prevent staff in uniform smoking on their way to and from work, and also extends to e-cigarettes.

NewLife4Me Thu 03-Sep-15 14:16:19

Twin

I don't think anybody including myself meant to say you don't respect your customers or act in a good manner following policies and procedures of your work place.
However, the jobs described in the OP are not professions so there is no need to consider being a sider professional. They are min wage jobs, nothing wrong with this btw.

happymummyone Thu 03-Sep-15 14:16:27

YANBU. Smoking is vile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now