We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think they shouldn't keep asking me

(5 Posts)
Sweepthecat Thu 03-Sep-15 11:09:55

I have a zero hours contract and just lately we have a lot of staff and not enough hours to go round.

This is my second job so my hours are part-time and I mainly do weekends.

The thing is, some of my colleagues keep messaging me asking if they can do my shifts to get their hours up and it's putting me in an awkward position to have to keep saying no. AIBU to think they shouldn't be asking?

GoooRooo Thu 03-Sep-15 11:11:04

I don't think there's anything wrong with them asking, but there's nothing wrong with you saying no either.

InimitableJeeves Thu 03-Sep-15 11:15:48

Ask them back. They'll probably get the message that you can't afford to lose hours. Or maybe tell them that they have to assume that you can't lose your shifts unless you specifically contact them to tell them you can't do one.

Mermaidhair Thu 03-Sep-15 11:16:32

Could you have a talk to them and let them know you understand that they are anxious about getting their hours up, but if you ever can't do them you will let them know?

Sweepthecat Thu 03-Sep-15 11:20:15

That might work mermaid. It just puts me on the spot a bit and I feel embarrassed and anxious, especially when more than one person asks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now