To ask for opinions on the safety of eating a cream cheese bagel while driving?

(30 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Mon 31-Aug-15 21:29:44

Where would it sit in the spectrum of multi tasking?

a)flipping radio stations
b)eating a chocolate bar
c)taking a phone call with no handsfree
d) eating a bowl of cereal

I'm saying between (b) and (c) and therefore not a good idea. The bagel would be prepared with toppings before getting into the car.

Emochild Mon 31-Aug-15 21:40:18

You can't eat a bagel with toppings whilst driving! shock

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Mon 31-Aug-15 21:41:43

As in the open sort, not the sandwich sort?

BestZebbie Mon 31-Aug-15 21:42:34

Do you mean, a cream cheese sandwich, that happens to be round? if so, the same as b.

Or do you mean something more complicated than that?

BrandNewAndImproved Mon 31-Aug-15 21:42:54

I eat sausage roll from gregs whilst driving so why not. As long as your prepared to drop it if needs be.

MrsBertMacklin Mon 31-Aug-15 21:43:09

Open.

I think it's a fool's errand.

BrandNewAndImproved Mon 31-Aug-15 21:43:18

It's not like it's a big mac

Konserve Mon 31-Aug-15 21:44:39

you should not eat whilst driving. full. stop.

bloody dangerous!

SanityClause Mon 31-Aug-15 21:44:55

a) is more dangerous than b) IMO.

And bagel eating, with a sticky filling like cream cheese is on a par with a).

patterkiller Mon 31-Aug-15 21:45:59

I see it the same as eating a sandwich or chocolate bar which seems to be the norm with commuters. I don't get drinking from bottles while driving where you have to tilt your head and the bottle obscures your vision.

SacredHeart Mon 31-Aug-15 21:46:06

It provides its own handle, the hole! I think stick yer thumb in and chomp away!

Easy peasygrin

MrsBertMacklin Mon 31-Aug-15 21:47:54

Sanity, I actually agree, takes your eyes off the road and diverts a hand, whereas a KitKat only takes a hand. I tried to list examples of things in order that they're legal/not.

JeffsanArsehole Mon 31-Aug-15 21:54:26

A woman was fined while stationery for taking a sip of water

There are no degrees, you can be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention for sipping water/changing a cd/eating a sweet

Me, I eat whole sandwiches at the wheel and not care grin

Ziar Mon 31-Aug-15 22:00:12

A full size bagel or one of those new 'thin' ones?

AuraofDora Mon 31-Aug-15 22:01:59

Does it have smoked salmon with cream cheese?

Smoothyloopy Mon 31-Aug-15 22:17:08

I really fancy a cream cheese bagel now!

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Mon 31-Aug-15 22:19:02

Now I want a bagel with cream cheese.

NB I am not driving.

XCChamps Mon 31-Aug-15 22:21:48

I know I can't eat a chocyy bar while driving. Maybe others are more skilled but it does affect my driving (and I'm sure it's illegal?)

I've never understood why it's considered Ok to light and smoke a cigarette while driving.

MrsBertMacklin Mon 31-Aug-15 22:24:39

Full size one.

I know, I want one too. Preferably a cinnamon and raisin one, with cream cheese and raspberry jam.

Noteventhebestdrummer Mon 31-Aug-15 22:25:54

Bagel yes, sushi no

laundryeverywhere Mon 31-Aug-15 22:30:02

I don't think you should eat while driving, but it's stupid to say you can't eat or drink in a careful manner, while stationary or crawling along slowly in a long traffic jam.

ChristineDePisan Mon 31-Aug-15 22:32:36

My rule for eating while driving is that it has to be droppable. So a cream cheese bagel would be a Bad Idea but a muesli bar would be fine (if less delicious)

TattyDevine Mon 31-Aug-15 22:34:51

I eat whilst driving sometimes.

Not like a won ton soup with chopsticks, mind.

Shodan Mon 31-Aug-15 22:40:15

Cut it in half. Then if your bagel-holding hand is urgently needed, you can hold it in your gob while doing the necessary.

<time for a pointless anecdote>

DH decided to grab a snack to eat while marching to our departure gate for our recent flight. His food item of choice was sushi. With chopsticks. He dropped the lot on the travelator-and scrabbled around to pick up every last piece. I may have actually snorted with laughter-certainly everyone around us did...

MrsBertMacklin Mon 31-Aug-15 22:46:58

Shodan, I'd have loved to have seen that grin
I opened Maltesers on the tube once. The packet burst, Maltesers went everywhere. The carriage was rammed, so fairly certain that some travellers found Maltesers in their hoods and bags later that day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now