5year old in a pram

(130 Posts)
Jo4040 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:30:43

Please bear with me, its not totally how it sounds...

Since my DS was born me and my partner have always put him in his pram just before bed time and gone on a very long walk. He would then fall asleep. When we got back we would put him into bed.

We didn't do this to get our DS of to sleep. We did this for exercise.

When my DS2 was born a few months ago, DS1 was too big for a pram, so we bought a step however he quickly outgrew this. Therefore the evening walks dwindled out as he couldn't keep up with the walks.

Now that the long walks are drawing in, with me and my OH be U to buy a double pram. We have seen a cheap one in a charity shop. It has a seat at the front and one at the back. You would not be able to see DS (4,nearly 5) sat in the back, drifting of to sleep under a blanket.

He is happy to do this as on holiday when he was tired a couple of nights he climbed in the pram on the way home and we carried baby back to the apartment.

We read him stories all the time and the bedtime routine would still happen...bath, teeth, pjs, but he would just climb into the pram.

Me and OH can't afford the gym membership but really want to do abit of exercise and its nice to go out on a walk at night and have a chat together. Also I rely on relatives for childcare in the day so can't really ask anyone to have kids at night whilst we go out for our hourly walk.

Jo4040 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:32:10

Sorry. Now the long nights are drawing in smile

tobysmum77 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:32:56

Why can't he keep up? confused

DixieNormas Mon 31-Aug-15 19:34:34

I can't see a problem, just do it if you are all happy. It sounds nice actually

wanderingwondering Mon 31-Aug-15 19:35:02

Can't see anything wrong with it in that context but reckon you've only got another year good before he is either too big, doesn't want to or doesn't fall asleep so it is too much of a late night for him

SaucyJack Mon 31-Aug-15 19:36:07

I do think YABU, sorry.

If it's bedtime- he should be in bed.

It's one thing walking round trying to soothe a colicky baby, but doing it with a five-year old for your own sake just seems a bit...... odd to me. Doesn't he have school the next morning?

Spidertracker Mon 31-Aug-15 19:36:18

I'm going to assume you mean pushchair and won't have him tucked up in a layflat pram because he would be much too big. I think you might find it hard to push it but by all means try it.
I am afraid though for us our nightly long walks disappeared once DS was too big for the pushchair and needed to sleep at a decent time. We still manage long weekend walks though so its not all bad.

wanderingwondering Mon 31-Aug-15 19:36:26

Toby's mum- can't see many 4 year olds keeping up with an hours fast paced evening walk

Jo4040 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:37:50

Because we want to walk fast, plus he's tired at that time of night (around seven).

Yeah we have only got about another year of it, but hopefully he can keep up then. Haha

Jo4040 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:38:46

Yh its a push chair smile

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 31-Aug-15 19:39:38

Your 5 year old needs to fall asleep in bed; awake then drop off himself.

Your exercise routine is secondary.

tobysmum77 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:41:04

He's nearly 5 you need to build him up to it. Kids can walk miles people tell themselves they can't.

Jo4040 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:41:12

I know stilkstayingclassy, that's why I was thinking maybe I was being unreasonable

XCChamps Mon 31-Aug-15 19:42:32

A family walk in the early evening sounds lovely, but I'd give the 5yo a bike or scooter so they can keep up and benefit from the exercise too.

AMonsterInParis Mon 31-Aug-15 19:44:24

Can't you just get him a scooter?

MrsMook Mon 31-Aug-15 19:45:21

Why not. My 4yr old occasionally uses the pram when speed or tiredness is an issue. Really it's there for Ds2, but Ds1 still fits without looking ridiculous. Infact recently I ended up getting a cheap second hand tandem for a trip away that he looks very comfortable in. This is a child who recently completed a junior Parkrun, but sometimes just can't manage an adult pace.

Sounds like good family time and a practical way to fit in exercise. Win win.

Jo4040 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:45:30

That's a thought. Iv even thought about keeping it to just maybe one evening in the week, and weekends. Just know its abit weird and you don't see it alot, but its dark nights soon!!

WombatStewForTea Mon 31-Aug-15 19:46:13

I'd worry that he doesn't know how to settle himself to sleep. Would you still be doing it at 7/8 or older?

Aeroflotgirl Mon 31-Aug-15 19:50:30

I am afraid YABVU, unless ds has SN or medical issues, he does not need a buggy. Can he ride a bike or scooter, use that instead, or tailor your walks to his pace.

Jo4040 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:51:53

Since we stopped going about three months ago (and the times when we didn't bother going some nights) we can put him into bed and he will watch telly and drift of to sleep so it doesn't effect him like that.

When he's 6/7 hopefully he can keep up and if he does t want to come then childcare isn't as much of an issue then because be won't have been at my parents house as much so I don't feel like a pain asking them to have him again for a hour. (Not that they would mind anyway! But you know...)

honkinghaddock Mon 31-Aug-15 19:52:16

I don't think he would want to do this for much longer.

wanderingwondering Mon 31-Aug-15 19:52:24

Tobysmum- Yes I know they can and my kids could walk for miles in the day but in this case its at his bedtime so he's bound to be tired.

honkinghaddock Mon 31-Aug-15 19:55:10

Ds is older but has sn and uses a sn buggy some of the time but he wouldn't want to sit in it for that long.

tobysmum77 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:59:15

But as they get older the tiredness is less pronounced and it will help with putting him to bed. It seems a good habit to get him into also.

KidnappedByPenguins Mon 31-Aug-15 20:00:04

Get a bike trailer, then no one will think you are weird or have cause to comment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now