Talk

Advanced search

About re-freezing partially defrosted food?

(9 Posts)
shockthemonkey Tue 25-Aug-15 19:27:26

We had a power outage last night, and over the twelve hours it lasted, some of the contents of our freezer went a bit soft... then promptly re-froze when the power came back on.

What types of food can I get away with still using? I am thinking along the lines of spice mixes (frozen coriander, chilli, garlic and ginger preparation for marinading) -- surely I can use that?

Anything with meat in I will throw away... with the possible exception of my home-made chicken stock which was in such a huge block it barely began defrosting at all.

Is this dangerous?

Spilose Tue 25-Aug-15 19:28:44

For 12 hours it should have been fine if you left it shut? Was is the food that was actually soft or soft cardboard?

WorktoLive Tue 25-Aug-15 20:24:04

I wouldn't throw anything away, it's only partially defrosted, it doesn't sound like anything has got anywhere near room temperature.

I often let things defrost, and change my mind about using them so refreeze to use later. I know that you're not supposed to do it, but I've never had a problem doing this.

msgrinch Tue 25-Aug-15 20:36:02

I'd use it all.

chipsandpeas Tue 25-Aug-15 20:40:15

i would use it

bringthenoise Tue 25-Aug-15 21:21:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shockthemonkey Tue 25-Aug-15 21:25:52

Thanks everyone. To answer Spilose, yes I left the freezer shut and only some things got soft, for instance ice-cream, oven chips...

So I'll go ahead and use most things, I don't really want to throw everything out...

poocatcherchampion Tue 25-Aug-15 21:27:09

We leave the freezer open overnight loads grin I just pretend it doesn't happen...

BeautyQueenFromMars Tue 25-Aug-15 21:27:24

I would use it too, and just maybe overcook any meat slightly, just to be sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now