Talk

Advanced search

to question amount of bank details needed

(23 Posts)
Londonmum14 Sat 22-Aug-15 09:59:34

My DP is going to an event in January being held in an hotel.
He has been sent the booking form and it asks for on top of personal details like name and address etc...
Name of bank
Address of bank
Name on card
Sort code
Card number
Security number
Expiry date

Maybe because of the whole Jeffrey thing I'm being particularly careful but some of those details seem strange.
AIBU to ask if some of these details requested aren't normal?
I can't remember having to provide the address of my bank when I have booked an hotel stay before.
Also I can't think why they would need the sort code without the account number especially if they are asking for the long card number.

OnMyShoulders Sat 22-Aug-15 10:02:38

Presumably they already have his card details from the booking?

JumpingJack56 Sat 22-Aug-15 10:04:24

Name, address, card number, expiry date and cvc are the only details needed by every hotel myself and my dp has ever worked in

OnMyShoulders Sat 22-Aug-15 10:05:45

Sorry - I misread your OP. It seems like quite a dated way to take bookings. I wouldn't be happy providing that info either.

Londonmum14 Sat 22-Aug-15 10:05:58

No, he has shown his interest through a Facebook group.
This was an email with a form to fill out so he could pay a deposit.

cardibach Sat 22-Aug-15 10:07:25

Phone the hotel with a number you look up yourself and check. That way, you know if it's genuine and don't gave to worry.

Londonmum14 Sat 22-Aug-15 10:14:10

I have no concern about the hotel being genuine.
I'm just concerned about the security of that level of detail.
If they store all that information online it could get hacked.
If they store it in a file cabinet in the office anyone who works there could get access to it.
Maybe I've just let Jeffrey get to me hmm

lifesalongsong Sat 22-Aug-15 10:22:39

I think you're right to be nervous. That much personal info written down in one place could be risky.

I would be nervous too and nothing to do with Jeffrey

Charlesroi Sat 22-Aug-15 10:25:45

I don't think I'd be happy putting all that info in plain text - especially the cvc code. Could DP write a good old-fashioned cheque? (I couldn't - no cheque book!)

FishWithABicycle Sat 22-Aug-15 10:26:36

Is this a Web for that has a secure box for processing card payments with small print in it like "processed by worldpay" or some other known card processor? If not, do not give the cvc number.

If you put all those details into an ordinary for it is practically carte blanche for a fraudster to empty your account.

Never ever write your cvc number on a paper for either.

Best case scenario - the organisation are a bit rubbish and only have the capacity to process cards in-person rather than remotely so are trying to get enough detail so they can pretend to the bank that you are there with your card when they put the transaction through. They could get fined and blacklisted for this.

Or the above could be the plan but a fraudster intercepts the details and steals all your money.

Or they are deliberately trying to get enough detail to defraud you.

PausingFlatly Sat 22-Aug-15 10:26:48

No, I don't think you're being paranoid.

There was a thread a little while back, about a physiotherapist or someone wanting to have the CVC on paper and store it.

Unfortunately I don't remember what the banking MNers advised, but there was considerable debate about whether a third party is allowed to store this information - because its whole purpose is a further layer of security, so storing it with the card details defeats the object.

I'd really like to know the official answer.

I was sent a similar form by an online retailer recently, and found an alternative method of payment to avoid the issue. If you make a card payment over the phone, the retailer usually enters your details directly into the live system connected to the bank, and does not retain locally the CVC or even full card number (IIUC).

BoomBoomsCousin Sat 22-Aug-15 10:28:41

Where is he supposed to send the form to? If to the hotel I would be less worried but still concerned. I'm pretty sure as part of their agreement with Visa etc. that businesses are not supposed to write down or ask customers to write down the card securiity number.

Phoning the hotel, on a number you look up yourself, sounds like very good advice.

PausingFlatly Sat 22-Aug-15 10:28:49

Ah, Fish knows. Thank you.

RunRunAsFastishAsYouCan Sat 22-Aug-15 10:29:32

By security number do you mean cvc code? I would never give anyone that unless I'm paying for something over the phone.

Londonmum14 Sat 22-Aug-15 10:41:21

He has been sent an email from someone organising the event with the form in an attachment. He has to then email it back to the hotel.
He's met the organiser before so has no worries about the attachment being dodgy.
Yes Run they are asking for the cvc number.

UrethraFranklin1 Sat 22-Aug-15 10:55:04

Carte Blanche to empty your account? How do you think bank accounts work? Nobody can empty your account with that info, other than the same way anyone could use your card number for remote payments if they wanted (and be easily traced)
If you send a cheque they have the same information.

I wouldn't be giving them all that because its not necessary, but you need to have a much better knowledge of how your banking works.

dementedpixie Sat 22-Aug-15 10:59:12

a cheque doesn't have the security number from the back of the card. With the card number, the expiry date and the cvc code they could basically empty your account by purchasing goods online. You couldn't do that with just cheque details

ilovesooty Sat 22-Aug-15 11:05:35

If I give those details to buy goods online I'm directed to a page where my bank asks for verification by requesting 3 ordered letters from my password. I thought that was normal, meaning that people can't buy goods in the account holder's name without the bank verification process.

UrethraFranklin1 Sat 22-Aug-15 11:10:37

No a cheque doesn't have the sec number but you hand that over on the phone whenever asked for it, any number if people ciuld use your card. But you should have verified by visa anyway to prevent that.
The only problem here is that you shouldn't be writing down this info and sending it.

Londonmum14 Sat 22-Aug-15 11:28:30

IloveSooty I have bought train tickets online where it has gone to the verified by Visa page and then gone back to the website without me inputting any details. Maybe that's because the site has recognised my laptop/isp whatever. Maybe not. In which case it is possible to buy stuff online without it.

ilovesooty Sat 22-Aug-15 11:30:26

London that has never happened to me.

Have you tried clearing your cookies?

lifesalongsong Sat 22-Aug-15 11:43:50

ilovesooty - the verification will vary from bank to bank and from website to website. You definitely don't always get it and it doesn't mean there's anything dodgy if you don't.

Londonmum14 Sat 22-Aug-15 12:01:36

Having just spoken to his bank they have said that there is no reason for the hotel to be asking for all that information to make a payment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now