Talk

Advanced search

to be mildly miffed with my ex-colleague?

(13 Posts)
BlueWashiTape Fri 21-Aug-15 19:01:20

Started a new job (teacher, SMT) this week. On the first day (9.30am!) the woman who retired in the summer turned up to see what I was doing hmm. I was really quite miffed- she had done that job for a long time and could do it with her eyes shut.

AIBU to feel a bit undermined?

Floggingmolly Fri 21-Aug-15 19:03:15

There's no way she should have been allowed on the premises; no matter how long or how recently she worked there shock

BlueWashiTape Fri 21-Aug-15 19:04:26

It's quite common for ex members of staff to pop in for cups of tea or odd special days. It was just the first day madness and finding her standing there!

Scarydinosaurs Fri 21-Aug-15 19:07:02

Ugh I would hate that. Smile, nod, pray she doesn't come back and well done on the new job.

redexpat Fri 21-Aug-15 19:09:25

OMG she needs to understand what retirement means. Im not surprised you feel undermined i would too.

BlueWashiTape Fri 21-Aug-15 19:10:22

Thanks. It was niggling me all week.

derxa Fri 21-Aug-15 19:11:28

That is so unprofessional! What a twat! OP- and breathe....

derxa Fri 21-Aug-15 19:13:48

If she was doing it with her eyes shut I'm sure she did a shit job. Only 'joking'. Good Luck OP grin flowers

ilovesooty Fri 21-Aug-15 19:58:21

I'd have wanted to ask her if she'd been locked in the stock cupboard all summer...

Not surprised you felt undermined. Still try to take it as a compliment. She obviously can't let go and is worried that you'll do the job so well that she'll feel quickly supplanted.

AliceAlice1979 Fri 21-Aug-15 20:00:48

Can you have a word with the head? Make sure she doesn't return without an invite or warning? If she was in on day one she may keep popping back and it's utterly unfair on you.

BlueWashiTape Fri 21-Aug-15 20:03:54

I'm not entirely sure how to word it without sounding petty/ gossipy/ unprofessional.

I'd have wanted to ask her if she'd been locked in the stock cupboard all summer.

Wish I'd thought of that grin

minibmw2010 Fri 21-Aug-15 20:27:25

It's very unprofessional of her, but I would be careful of criticising her too soon in case she has a lot of friends in the staff room. If she comes again, then maybe speak to the deputy head or someone similar?

noiwontstoptalking Fri 21-Aug-15 23:02:17

She came into your classroom?

I think you want to nip that in the bud.

Put on a big smile, say 'I'm sure you'll understand we're not having classroom visitors today and usher her to the door'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now