to hate the use of the word adult as a verb?

(23 Posts)
rollercoasterchicken Fri 21-Aug-15 00:01:27

People have started saying on Facebook that they "don't want to adult today" or that they deserve some coffee because they have worked hard at adulting?! wtf.

It makes me want to punch the computer.

Theycallmemellowjello Fri 21-Aug-15 00:04:20

Yanbu, that's appalling. They probably also describe things as'awesome'. Shudder.

SmillasSenseOfSnow Fri 21-Aug-15 00:08:53

I'm likely to have no problem whatsoever with any other examples of things people find annoying (I use 'awesome' rather frequently, for example), but I hate this.

TendonQueen Fri 21-Aug-15 00:12:26

Hadn't heard of this at all. Awful! Perhaps they'd like to go back to school, with extra homework.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 21-Aug-15 00:15:12

Well, that's a new one on mehmm.

Sounds very annoying!

ArcheryAnnie Fri 21-Aug-15 00:15:41

It's a thing that became popular after a website called Adulting - which is actually quite a sweet blog about how to act like a grown-up and take grown-up responsibilities.

Could be worse. Could be "lifehack".

rollercoasterchicken Fri 21-Aug-15 00:16:59

Seriously.

iAmNicolaMurray Fri 21-Aug-15 00:17:21

Eurgh I hats 'hacks'. This adulting thing sounds 'totes' awful too.

Sometimes I feel I wasn't made for this world.

MrsGentlyBenevolent Fri 21-Aug-15 00:18:44

I don't mind this one. Then again, it was the sort of thing my hungover friends used to say when we were at uni. Usually, things like this grate on me, but this particular one just brings back good memories.

rollercoasterchicken Fri 21-Aug-15 00:23:40

"Don't want to be an adult" would be better. It's the fact it's a verb that makes it worse. Bluugh.

JeffreysMummyisCross Fri 21-Aug-15 00:31:25

There are too many nouns being turned into verbs lately. It is Not Right.

SanityClause Fri 21-Aug-15 00:44:27

Personally, I love it that any English noun can be verbed.

Dismaland Fri 21-Aug-15 00:49:12

This grates on me and seems to be everywhere lately. The other one that seem to have sprung up in the last while is "spirit animal". I keep seeing it everywhere, "so and so is my spirit animal" confused

DepecheNO Fri 21-Aug-15 01:40:08

I'm 22 and have never seen anyone use "adult" in this way, although I'm aware of the trend of verbing things. How old are these people?

Ughhh, "spirit animal".

Garrick Fri 21-Aug-15 01:47:21

grin Sanity

maras2 Fri 21-Aug-15 05:20:21

I'm not bothered enough to take this to Pedant's Corner but the the posters who use this are the ones who don't seem to know the difference between ' his' and 'he's' for some reason confused

echt Fri 21-Aug-15 06:05:59

What a hideous verb.

As for "spirit animal" do they think they have daemons as "Northern Lights"?

Wankers.

blibblobblub Fri 21-Aug-15 06:30:23

Spirit animal pisses me off but only because it's culturally appropriative (http://aquariusmoonrising.tumblr.com/post/58763812891/why-you-shouldnt-use-the-term-spirit-animal).

The adult as a verb thing sounds awful though.

Euphemia Fri 21-Aug-15 06:53:07

Too many nouns being turned into verbs?! Don't be daft!

It's a beautiful thing about English that we do this. Think of all of the parts of the body that started out as nouns and became verbs: head, face, hand, finger, foot, nose, palm, stomach, leg.

How efficient of the language! Would you really want separate verbs for those actions? Or to take two or three words to say what we can say in one?

The language evolves. It always has. People, the owners of the language, find new ways to express themselves. New words and forms emerge. There has never been a set English language, or a time when there was a perfectly correct English which everyone agreed upon.

Adult as a verb is fine, if people find it useful and others understand what they mean by it.

Kerberos Fri 21-Aug-15 07:11:43

I quite like it. I've seen it on forums recently and it sums up perfectly and adequately.

I'll be back on xbox this evening when I'm done adulting.

WizardOfToss Fri 21-Aug-15 07:20:00

Euphemia is right. But I still don't like it - it's clumsy and inelegant. And unnecessary <gavel>

MadFatRunner Fri 21-Aug-15 07:42:58

isn't this exactly what happened to the word parent?

Pipbin Fri 21-Aug-15 07:50:34

I like it and I find it funny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now