Talk

Advanced search

Am I a total dickwad or is Billy Joel

(57 Posts)
NoSOHisadealbreaker Thu 20-Aug-15 09:17:20

I love the song 'I love you just the way you are' even though it outs me as someone in her dotage.

However, the line 'I don't want clever conversations' irritates the b'jings out of me. What the frig is wrong with clever conversations? I would go so far as to say that they form (part of) the bedrock of the relationship between Mr Breaker and me, and I just love listening to interesting discussions that I'm not even part of.

Not saying this is for everyone...but it is the smug assumption that a clever conversation is somehow out of line that gets my goat. or maybe this is just because my mother always uses the term clever as an insult

But you see I also fear the implication that he just wants someone who looks good and 'I just want someone I can talk to' makes me think what he really means is 'I just want someone I can talk AT'

I'm overthinking this aren't I?

howtorebuild Thu 20-Aug-15 09:19:21

He may not be capable of clever conversation.

ChampagneTastes Thu 20-Aug-15 09:22:04

It's the follow up that's the give-away: "I never want to work that hard". Now I'm thinking about it, it's pissing me off too!

NoSOHisadealbreaker Thu 20-Aug-15 09:22:57

That's what I thought rebuild but I somehow doubt it, and I didn't want to say it...but thank you for doing so! flowers

NoSOHisadealbreaker Thu 20-Aug-15 09:23:49

Now I'm thinking about it, it's pissing me off too!

My work is done!! grin

CalleighDoodle Thu 20-Aug-15 09:25:30

Funniest thread title ive seen in ages.

NoSOHisadealbreaker Thu 20-Aug-15 09:26:37

Why thank you Calleigh

bruffin Thu 20-Aug-15 09:27:32

You are
I think its about he wants someone he can relax with and doesnt need to play games with.He diesnt want someone who will twist words to make themselves look good.

CalleighDoodle Thu 20-Aug-15 09:28:17

Im still giggling about it

NoSOHisadealbreaker Thu 20-Aug-15 09:30:14

Interesting bruffin. This is precisely what my mother understands by 'clever', whereas I understand: enlightening; entertaining; amusing etc etc

EachandEveryone Thu 20-Aug-15 09:31:09

I love a it of Billy Joel he's my guilty pleasure.

MaryBerrysEyelashes Thu 20-Aug-15 09:31:37

ah many a feminist critique for saint billy of joel in that song

I once saw a rock doc about him and his love life and it made perfect sense but yes - the lyrics are of a certain era I thinkl

SansaryaAgain Thu 20-Aug-15 09:32:03

I feel the same way about most One Direction songs. They're always along the lines of "you aren't all that but I love you anyway"!

MaryBerrysEyelashes Thu 20-Aug-15 09:32:45

i bloody LOVE Billy. He played live in Southampton in the early 2000s and I didnt go and i so regret it

I love New york state of Mind and Miami 20 whatever its called

NoSOHisadealbreaker Thu 20-Aug-15 09:33:45

Oh it is a beautiful song for sure Everyone as are so many of his. Just that verse worries me.

Whereas 'She's always a woman to me' is flawless imho!

MaryBerrysEyelashes Thu 20-Aug-15 09:33:55

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BdD5y6s2Bw

NoSOHisadealbreaker Thu 20-Aug-15 09:34:50

Now this is what I call a clever conversation!! grin

RabbitRedux Thu 20-Aug-15 09:35:17

"Clever conversation" could be interpreted as insincere or pretentious in this context.

But, he's on my list of ageing men who marry women young enough to be their daughters, so I don't like that.

MaryBerrysEyelashes Thu 20-Aug-15 09:35:18

Me and my mate sing Scenes from Italian restaurant when we are pissed.

We imagine we are FANTASTIC

Bottle of white, bottle of red...

MumOfTheMoment Thu 20-Aug-15 09:36:16

We had that as our first dance at our wedding sad tbh neither of us are fans of "clever conversation" so it sits ok with me grin

howtorebuild Thu 20-Aug-15 09:36:28

The poor deluded guy thinks he can dance on the ceiling. He also had conversations with Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton as visitors to his home.

NoSOHisadealbreaker Thu 20-Aug-15 09:38:53

Mum yes, it's hearing it as a first dance (which had me in floods btw) that got me thinking and worrying that the bride/groom might be insulted. But I guess they chose it together so that's all good!

bruffin Thu 20-Aug-15 09:39:21

I saw him twice back in the 80s Maryberry. He is the best singer live i have seen. I would love to have been at the millenium concert. He is playing Madison Square Gardens every month and says he will do so until his tickets stop selling.

MaryBerrysEyelashes Thu 20-Aug-15 09:40:33

oh go so jealous

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMij0UwhZU0

BrendaandEddie Thu 20-Aug-15 09:45:42

I FORGOT I HAD THIS!
amazing that i have had over 300 nick names on here and wasnt on the list

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now