Talk

Advanced search

To ask the techy peeps which is the most secure email company to use?

(17 Posts)
textfan Tue 18-Aug-15 23:14:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

00100001 Tue 18-Aug-15 23:19:05

No need to fret too.much, any mainstream email account usbas secure as it can be.

You just need a proper and secure password that is different for each account.

Make sure ts complex

Uppercase
Lowercase
Numbers
Symbols
Does not contain your username or part if it

Eg P@$$w0Rd

00100001 Tue 18-Aug-15 23:19:55

But bwttervreakky us just "random"

F&cBb36wf@

TrionicLettuce Tue 18-Aug-15 23:25:26

Some services also offer two step authentication so any time you want to login to your email from a new device (plus periodically on any device if you want) you are required to enter a one time use code which can be texted to your mobile/another device.

textfan Tue 18-Aug-15 23:26:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrionicLettuce Tue 18-Aug-15 23:27:06

Forgot to say, I know Gmail does the two-step authentication. Not sure who else does but I presume others will.

Sherborne Tue 18-Aug-15 23:29:18

Gmail. With 2 factor authentication turned on. That way, every time a new browser tries to login to your email with your username and password, a single use key generated by your smartphone will also need to be entered.

Sherborne Tue 18-Aug-15 23:30:54

Also, password managers like "lastpass" are great for generating and managing your random passwords. You only need to remember one long passphrase.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 18-Aug-15 23:34:36

Unless of course LastPass gets hacked grin

Another vote for anything with two-step authentication (eg gmail) - it really does massively decrease the hacking risk from strangers.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Aug-15 23:37:10

If you're looking for a different type of security ie. One that isn't hackable, located in a country that won't disclose content then you need hushmail.com (free, but you have to log in weekly)

It's hapaa compliant, most others aren't.

Whatsforsupper Tue 18-Aug-15 23:44:54

It depends on what you mean by security!

When it comes to emails its usually the person that owns the email account that's the weak point. Phishing, social engineering and so forth.

Most large email providers won't be hacked any time soon if you want Real protection you may need to start using encrypted emailssmile

I work as a threat analyst.....

DisappointedOne Tue 18-Aug-15 23:49:13

Buy your own domain through easily (other domain hosts are available). I pay less than £10 per year and can give every site its own email address, eg mumsnet@mydomain.co.uk

Anything sent to @mydomain gets forwarded to my gmail or Mac account. Everything is in one place, but I know if a company has sold on my details and means a breach on one site doesn't then screw my email up for others. wink

Whatsforsupper Tue 18-Aug-15 23:50:00

Em, Laurie Hushmail is located in Canada, will and have disclosed information to everyone and anyone with a warrant.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 19-Aug-15 00:00:36

Yep, What'sforsupper- I know they're in Canada, I use them for online therapy as the emails are HIPAA compliant - www.onlinetech.com/resources/references/what-is-hipaa-compliance

Much more secure than other providers

HidingFromDD Wed 19-Aug-15 00:10:57

I'd second gmail, don't use btinternet. They've got problems somewhere from around 2/3 years ago, when they moved to yahoo (and I work in security - the problems didn't stem from my end)

whois Wed 19-Aug-15 07:54:36

Any major respected provider eg gmail BUT your passwords need to be unique for every site and 'strong' passwords. So I MN gets hacked it doesn't matter because you only used 'Hhev7Fw9Mkn6' as your password on MN and nowhere else.

I recently sorted myself out - had been using a weak and often the same password for most sites which was really stupid. I got Lastpass and find it really good.

SquirmOfEels Wed 19-Aug-15 08:10:55

I keep track of my passwords by the old fashioned method of writing them down and keeping them in a non-obvious place in my very untidy house.

I doubt very much any burglar would spend time hunting for passwords in the hope they could be fenced when there are more obvious nickable items.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now