Talk

Advanced search

To miss smoking a little bit

(57 Posts)
Discopanda Tue 18-Aug-15 02:09:44

Used to smoke before getting pregnant with DD1, after she stopped bf I enjoyed the occasional drunk cigarette or the odd one when feeling stressed, never in the house or around her. As much as I know it reeks and is an awful habit, every now and then I really bloody miss smoking, especially nights like tonight because before kids I used to smoke more at night time and when I couldn't sleep. I know IABU but I'm not the only one to miss it a little bit right?!

Tootsiepops Tue 18-Aug-15 05:22:07

I quit 5 years ago and still miss it.

Even worse, my grandpa quit a 40 a day habit when he was 45 and admitted at 82 that he still missed it.

There's no hope for us...

alrayyan Tue 18-Aug-15 07:38:57

I miss it so much. I quite because I needed to stop drinking and giving up alcohol has been empowering and life changing. There are a few things I love about smoking like not having to go outside, feeling smug when people stink etc but generally life without smoking is less sparkley and I don't know why really. I think it makes me feel like a rebel

Perpendiculous Tue 18-Aug-15 07:43:05

I vape which usually keeps me satisfied, but occasionally I walk past a happy looking smoker and I feel a bit - jealous. Smoking is cool damnit.

mouse26 Tue 18-Aug-15 07:44:46

I use am ecig instead now but I still miss a proper cigarette sad I especially miss that first drag as you light it up. if you ever see a weirdo puffing fiercely on an ecig while standing very close to a smoker at a bus stop, that'll be me envy

Flywheel Tue 18-Aug-15 07:47:27

I miss it too. Mmmmmmm, tasty fags.

Eminybob Tue 18-Aug-15 08:02:33

I do miss it too and I gave up nearly 3 years ago. I have the occasional drunk one too but every now and then I'll be sat at home after DS has gone to bed and really crave one.

Having said that, I find it revolting walking past smokers out and about, it makes me heave, and I get really cross about people blowing their dirty smoke near my precious DS! I'm a bit of a hypocrite really.

RiverTam Tue 18-Aug-15 08:08:07

I miss it too. Last had one about 18 months ago and I felt so wretched the next morning I knew it would be the last. But yep, miss it a lot. Salad days...

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Tue 18-Aug-15 08:09:17

I gave up 13 years ago and I still miss it!!

claracluck1978 Tue 18-Aug-15 08:20:13

March 30th 2011 was my last smoking day. 4 and a bit years later I still gaze longingly at a Marlboro Red

claracluck1978 Tue 18-Aug-15 08:21:58

March 30th 2011 was my last smoking day. 4 and a bit years later I still gaze longingly at a Marlboro Red

CoolAs10Fonzies Tue 18-Aug-15 08:25:58

on day 8 of cold turkey here.

oh how I miss it.

especially with morning coffee

considering a trip to the shop

MrsGentlyBenevolent Tue 18-Aug-15 08:26:42

I miss it, gave up when I got two lines. I can't lie, I don't think I've quit for good. The thought of that first ciggi in a few months time is like a reward, much like a glass of wine at the end of a (very) long day. It's a horrid habit, no one can deny. Then again, if we really thought about it, plenty of other nasty stuff we do/put in our bodies without even thinking about it. Plus, every time someone I know dies, despite being young and far healthier than I, just start thinking 'life's too short not to indulge in some vices'.

GlitzAndGigglesx Tue 18-Aug-15 08:26:51

I quit for pregnancy but since giving birth I've had a few sad. I thought I'd be alright after going so long without but it's been really difficult! I'm going out in a couple of weeks for my birthday and the majority there smoke but I'll try and stay strong

PleaseGetOffTheTableDarling Tue 18-Aug-15 08:30:05

Yep, miss it after three years of almost complete abstinence. Nothing compares to a coffee and a fag in early morning sunshine. This thread isn't helping! grin

magimedi Tue 18-Aug-15 08:40:19

I gave up, after nearly 40 years, three years ago, & now vape. I know I am addicted to nicotine.

I now loathe the smell of fags & will move away from one as fast as I can. Every other time I quit (not vaping) I'd be standing as close as I could to the lovely smell of smoke.

If any one is interested in vaping there's loads of advice & help from us 'vaping vipers' on the Stop Smoking topic.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/stop_smoking

shiteforbrains Tue 18-Aug-15 08:41:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

justabigdisco Tue 18-Aug-15 08:44:50

I gave up ten years ago and don't miss it anymore. It took years for that to happen but it can - stay strong!

TheHappinessTrap Tue 18-Aug-15 08:47:38

I haven't managed to give up but I have turned it into an event that only happens in the evening and with wine, so not daily. I don't smoke unless those 2 criteria are met. It's cut me down from 10 a day to 15 a week. I wish I'd never started!

Calloh Tue 18-Aug-15 08:49:45

I gave up when I got pregnant 8 years ago and missed it. I fell back into the habit about four years ago for a few months then gave up - on and off for a while.

I read the Allan Carr book for women the last time and I don't miss it at all. (Although occasionally I might have one when j go out.)

There is so much I actively don't miss about it (like looking for a lighter) and my life is easier and happier without them.

Pepperpot99 Tue 18-Aug-15 08:54:09

I quit a little over two years ago and still get the odd desire here and there. I was not a heavy smoker but a regular one IYSWIM. Used to love going into the garden after the dc had had their dinner and have a crafty Marlboro menthol.

Keep thinking of all the money you are saving OP, as well as the health benefits and all the other pluses. smile

Pepperpot99 Tue 18-Aug-15 08:55:03

Out of interest, how many people here who gave up have put on weight? I have sad. Not loads, but definitely a few pounds.

Lottapianos Tue 18-Aug-15 08:58:28

I gave up 2 years ago and I miss it a bit too. I feel so much better for it and am glad I gave up, but I do fancy a fag every now and then. I love walking down the street behind someone smoking and having a cheeky passive moment smile

heronsfly Tue 18-Aug-15 09:00:29

i gave up 7 years ago, i still miss it too I'm now addicted to my ecig stupid move getting one after all that time I love the smell of a newly lit cigarette, but not the 'after smell' on someone that's just smoked one.

Peppasmate Tue 18-Aug-15 09:04:35

I gave up smoking exactly 2.5 years ago.
I had smoked 20-40 a day for 22 years. I was 8 weeks pregnant. I had a MMC.

I decided that would be my baby's lasting legacy, the positive from a truly heartbreaking situation.

5 months later my dear mil was diagnosed with lung cancer. She was given 6 months.She was dead in 5 weeks. The cancer ravaged her. She was blind, brain damaged, incontinent & unable to speak within weeks. She'd smoked 20/30 a day. She continued to smoke until she lost consciousness. If i wasn't pregnant i would have probably started again - even though I could see what cigarettes had done to her.sad

Smoking is psychologically so addictive. Smokers convince themselves of all sorts of shite to justify smoking...I know I did!

I'm deeply ashamed to say even pregnancy wasn't enough to stop me smoking.

I will never smoke again. I can never take the chance. I will always miss it a bit but stopping was the best thing I ever did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now