Talk

Advanced search

Spiritualist church?

(8 Posts)
Kelcarl00 Tue 18-Aug-15 00:05:40

I am about to relocate to a new area with dh. Idea is to start a family as soon as we find house. Happy life, no problems.

Keen to see a medium (have never visited one but always been curious and am open to this kind of thing). There is a spiritualist church down the road from where I live and apparently they offer "readings" on a Tuesday so may go tomorrow.

Has anyone had experience of this? What to expect?

Aibu to ask for people's experiences if they are happy to share?

cariadlet Tue 18-Aug-15 00:20:44

Try watching this video. It will show you what you could expect at a reading.

ComposHatComesBack Tue 18-Aug-15 00:37:50

I can tell you what will happen. .. someone wil serve up a load of guesswork, platitudes and ambiguously worded statements you can read a number of ways.

howtorebuild Tue 18-Aug-15 00:46:37

Let me read for you. I am not a medium.

You have had a loss and upset in your life. You are at a crossroad. There were precious objects from another placed in your case, that you treasure. Joy will come to you in December. You enjoy flowers.

pineappleshortbread Tue 18-Aug-15 06:09:58

I believe in ghosts and spirits and all manner of supernatural things...

However i have beem to a spiritualist church where they had a medium. They prey on grief amd the desperation of the congretation. They say statements that could relay to anyone.

The medium went round the room of the regular congregation and it was obvious that the minister had given her little details and that she picking up obvious things (like a woman over 70 ish she said had lost a parent) when she came to me she couldn't get a thing right and then quickly threw it out to the room where someone else grasped at straws.

I understand why you might want to go and i believe there are real mediums out there but i dont believe they would charge or make it too publicly known. The spiritualist church appears lovely and nice but its cruel by sucking in those who are grieving preying on them and then taking their money. Really didnt sit well with me

JunkBox Tue 18-Aug-15 15:58:17

i used to go to a spiritualist church many years ago, although it wasn't really a church setting, was more like a group meeting like you would go to a hobby group or something.

I really enjoyed it to start with, but I went with a very open mind and was not so quick to believe what the spiritualists were telling people.
I made some good friends where we could have a laugh so it was more of a social gathering with the (supposed) Psychics thrown in.

As I say I went with an open mind and there are a couple who I genuinely believe that may have a gift, but the majority were talking a load of bollocks.
I had one husband and wife team, argue with me that I was wrong. They were talking to me as if I was 16 (I did look young for my age) and got it into their heads that I was still at school/doing exams, still living with my parents and that I was pissing my life away by not taking studies seriously. They told me I was treating my parents appallingly and I needed to respect them more!!!
They wouldn't accept it when I couldn't agree with them, the got quite irate and kept telling me I was wrong hmm

The fact was, I was 30, and married with 3 children living in my own house. I moved out of parents when I was 18!!!!

We stopped going not long after because it did really go downhill from there, we got fed up leaving mid way through the "performance" as it were. Lots of other people left after we did for the same reason and they closed their doors permanently not long after.

I wouldn't ever go back to one though it was good at the time but now it doesn't really appeal

Goshthatsspicy Tue 18-Aug-15 16:00:17

I think you'd be better off finding your local Quakers. smile

Andrewofgg Tue 18-Aug-15 17:14:00

Just say No and mean it. Those who aren't being exploited are doing the exploiting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now