Talk

Advanced search

To cancel a contractor last minute as he was driving dangerously

(56 Posts)
LauraGrooves Mon 17-Aug-15 22:04:10

I've got a front porch that's supported to be done next week (job for three weeks). However the contractor tail gated me this evening and overtook me dangerously and was speeding.

I don't want to give him the work now. Would I be u to turn around and tell him this with four days till he starts?

Penfold007 Mon 17-Aug-15 22:06:29

Check your contract with him/ his company. If you can cancel, feel that strongly and able to postpone the porch cancel

vaticancameos Mon 17-Aug-15 22:21:07

Absolutely not unreasonable. I seem to have an excellent memory for tradespeople who park over the entire pavement when going into a convenience store or drive through red lights or zebra crossings. I will never use any of them for this reason.

LauraGrooves Tue 18-Aug-15 07:50:22

Thabkfuly no contract signed.

I'm starting to do the same vat, I might be out of tradespeople to ever use in a few years..

lemoncordial Tue 18-Aug-15 08:26:56

Yanbu. I wouldn't want to hire him anymore either. His behaviour should have consequences.

ConfusedInBath Tue 18-Aug-15 08:29:00

Wtf.

Why?

HedgehogAtHome Tue 18-Aug-15 08:29:23

YANBU. If you can cancel I would.

gamerwidow Tue 18-Aug-15 08:31:41

Confusedinbath I would assume because op doesn't want reckless irresponsible idiots working in her house. His attitude to driving probably reflects his attitude to the other areas in his life. Who wants a reckless builder?

Firedemon Tue 18-Aug-15 08:32:38

I try to make a note of these lunatics and would LOVE to be have this sort of opportunity. I would cancel, and tell them why. When they're driving a vehicle emblazoned with the business name they need to understand they're representing that business. I also fucking detest dangerous drivers and revenge is sweet.

Flaperon Tue 18-Aug-15 08:33:30

I think cancelling because you don't approve of his driving is rather OTT.

Surely more effective to let him show up and tell him he tailgated you.

ConfusedInBath Tue 18-Aug-15 08:33:45

Well I guess the guy has a good reputation in building work?

Icimoi Tue 18-Aug-15 09:02:56

Remember that a contract doesn't have to be signed, or even in writing, to be enforceable. You could still be sued for breach of contract if you cancel.

JassyRadlett Tue 18-Aug-15 09:05:06

I think cancelling because you don't approve of his driving is rather OTT.

Yes, God forbid that twattish, dangerous, illegal behaviour should have consequences.

EponasWildDaughter Tue 18-Aug-15 09:08:20

Is it the actual same man who was going to do the work? Or do you mean you are going to cancel the work from that company because of the driving of one of the team?

To be honest either way i think you're within your rights. Shit driving in a marked van isn't a good ad. for the company is it? Make sure you explain why you're cancelling.

quietbatperson Tue 18-Aug-15 09:28:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ptumbi Tue 18-Aug-15 10:15:47

I had a contractor pull out in front of me on a dual-carriageway, causing me to brake sharply. He then noticed me, and stuck the middle finger up through his window.

Do you think I used that company?
grin

Reignbeau Tue 18-Aug-15 10:19:45

I will never use a certain local plumber because he parks twattishly at the school, on the zigzags, blocking drives and once even blocking the whole road until his child came out. Can't stand selfish drivers.

MQv2 Tue 18-Aug-15 12:03:53

"There is no such thing as a verbal contract in UK law"

What? Of course there is

Whether there's one in place here is another matter

OTheHugeManatee Tue 18-Aug-15 12:19:29

I wouldn't cancel a contractor for that reason. I might consider having a quiet word if the driving was really cockish but that's all. But I'm currently managing a whole house renovation and the idea of throwing a multi-contractor schedule out of whack to make some kind of moral point seems faintly ridiculous.

Katie2001 Tue 18-Aug-15 12:23:58

In my experience, getting anyone to come out and do work on the house is almost impossible, if he's a decent builder and you need the work done, just get him to do it.

Binit Tue 18-Aug-15 12:27:09

If he's a good, trusted, recommended builder then I wouldn't cancel.

If you are scared to have him in your house, think he's an aggressive bully, then I would cancel.

Gottagetmoving Tue 18-Aug-15 12:44:34

It is a bit short notice. Has he bought materials for the job and agreed the start date with you?
If he has any texts from you confirming the start date and proof he has bought materials for your job then he may have a claim against you.

I would have a word with him about the driving though, especially as it affected you directly.

SusanMichelson Tue 18-Aug-15 12:48:25

I don't suppose you could report him to the police for aggressive driving unless you have witnesses - or it's on CCTV somewhere - and without that it is basically in your hands to deal with.

I wouldn't employ someone after witnessing behaviour like this.

UrethraFranklin1 Tue 18-Aug-15 12:50:31

Remember that a contract doesn't have to be signed, or even in writing, to be enforceable. You could still be sued for breach of contract if you cancel

He says we had a contract, she says fuck off we never did. Suing ain't gonna happen in a UK court, trust me.

Gottagetmoving Tue 18-Aug-15 12:55:16

UrethraFranklin1 If a Judge can establish an agreement between the two of them - he will find a contract exists.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now