Talk

Advanced search

To think Amazon sound like a bunch of bastards?

(9 Posts)
GeorgeYeatsAutomaticWriter Mon 17-Aug-15 19:44:33

As if the tax avoidance wasn't bad enough, the New York Times have published a lengthy investigation into work practices at Amazon.

It sounds absolutely awful. People put on performance management while returning from/battling cancer or having lost pregnancies. A horrible system which encourages anonymous feedback about colleagues to management. Regular sights of employees crying at their desks. All in the name of 'Purposeful Darwinism'.

Would love to know if working practices at Amazon UK are similar.

DisappointedOne Mon 17-Aug-15 20:02:36

American employment practices are nowhere near as progressive as ours. There have been documentaries about Amazon UK's expectations of employees.

lemoncordial Mon 17-Aug-15 20:24:34

I boycott amazon both their tax and employment practices.

Rainbunny Mon 17-Aug-15 20:25:48

Some of the incidents mentioned in the article do sound horrendous and I can believe that this could happen but I actually worked there myself until last year and I don't recognise the company that is being described in the article My friends who still work there are completely shocked by the article too.

I can believe that these things happen but I think much of this stems from the insanely fast pace that Amazon is growing. There are approximately 150,000 employees and over 30,000 at Amazon HQ in Seattle alone. It can be a challenge to install a company culture when so many people are coming in, bringing in a culture from their last company. The only crappy managers I ever encountered at Amazon were honestly people who came over from Microsoft, a company I would never work at because of their known poor culture. I do think Amazon needs to address the issues highlighted in the article and they should start with a overhaul of their management training. I can only speak of my personal experience and I'm not making excuses for the company but I was genuinely shocked to read this article.

howtorebuild Mon 17-Aug-15 20:27:50

Chuck, I have a fire. sad

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 17-Aug-15 20:28:33

They are pretty bad in the UK too, lots of zero hours contracts. However it is the governments responsibility to define what working (or indeed tax) procedures are acceptable.

Amazon does not break the law in any way, and it is vanishingly unlikely to be the only company operating in this way.

CatMilkMan Mon 17-Aug-15 20:29:56

From what I have heard from people working with Amazon in the UK it's very different.
I only know 1 person that works at Amazon in the UK and none that work at Amazon in America but I have read online that the report is accurate to an American Amazon employee.

AuntyMag10 Mon 17-Aug-15 20:31:52

Do you use Amazon op?

GeorgeYeatsAutomaticWriter Mon 17-Aug-15 21:07:53

I have used Amazon in the past, yes.

I tried to be ethical and use Abebooks instead, but apparently Amazon own them as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now