Talk

Advanced search

To be cacking myself about going to Bangkok tomorow?

(18 Posts)
Littlefluffyclouds81 Mon 17-Aug-15 19:37:47

You may remember my thread a while back about whether or not I would be mental to take my dc to Thailand for a month on my own.

Anyhoo, I did, I'm here and it's been so amazing I don't even know the words to describe it. We are due to fly back to Bangkok tomorrow, and stay there for a couple of nights before flying home. In light of today's bomb tragedy I'm kinda worried about this.

The hotel I'm staying in is close to where the bomb happened, and near to the MBK mall where I was planning on doing some shopping. I feel really uneasy about going, especially as I will have the dc with me.

Just that, really.

mamasilla Mon 17-Aug-15 19:39:05

It will be safer than ever now! Enjoy

Faye12345 Mon 17-Aug-15 19:43:07

Bangkok is amazing! One of the bets citys I've been to! It will be safer now and I'm sure target places will either be out of bounds or heavy on security. Enjoy x

twirlypoo Mon 17-Aug-15 19:44:52

I stayed in that area and was a regular at the mbk centre, please don't worry. Security right now will Tighter than ever and everyone will be extra vigilant. Go, have a love time thanks

travellinglighter Mon 17-Aug-15 19:46:23

I have never worried about my safety in Bangkok, I took two DC’s there and was never bothered. Chill out, go to Ko Sahn road, drink coffee, eat noodles, but t-shirts.

You’ll be fine.

TL

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 17-Aug-15 19:48:09

Yes indeed security will be a lot more tighter, now.
Go and have an amazing time.
As the song says.
One night in Bangkok, and the world's your oyster.

twirlypoo Mon 17-Aug-15 19:49:17

Just felt I should add, I do understand why you are worried by the way, it's a bit like taking the tube after 7/7, people carry on but it's there in the back of everyone's thoughts.

LongDistanceLove Mon 17-Aug-15 19:58:01

It's understandable absolutely understandable to be apprehensive about travelling somewhere after its had a tradgedy like that. However security will be heightened, locals and the police will heightened to anything sussed.

Just enjoy the moment.

msgrinch Mon 17-Aug-15 20:00:57

Oh wow! I'm so jealous, everything will be fine and what a wonderful experience for your children. would you like to adopt a 26 year old me?

Littlefluffyclouds81 Mon 17-Aug-15 20:16:57

Ok, good I'm being silly smile I'm sure after 8 hours of travelling with the dc winding each other up at every possible opportunity I'll just be glad to get there and bombs will be the last thing on my mind.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 17-Aug-15 20:21:09

The Thai are great at coping with things like this. I was there during the military coup in 2006 (I think! Long time ago. We were shopping in the night market when a friend text to ask if I was still in Thailand as tanks were storming the offices of the government. Yikes!) and it was fine. Very calm, people just went about their business and stayed away from government districts.

NickiFury Mon 17-Aug-15 20:25:50

I would be worried too but am sure as others have said it will be fine.

You are brilliant going on your own with your kids, I was there a few years ago and ended up on my own with my dc for reasons too boring to go into, I didn't enjoy it because of that but I have always felt I wanted to reclaim it. Would you mind giving me a vague idea of your itinerary, where you enjoyed the most etc, can do it by PM if you prefer? smile Thanks.

specialsubject Mon 17-Aug-15 21:45:54

nothing has changed re the security situation. Thailand is (I'm afraid) not at all stable. The regular bombings/killing are in the southern four provinces, a very long way away, where latest stats are more than 6000 killed in 10 years.

doesn't mean you shouldn't go to Bangkok but it is not the first bombing there.

awful news.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Tue 18-Aug-15 03:20:20

Nicki - we stayed 3 nights in Bangkok when we got here, which the kids loved. We did Koh San road, and went to a mall to the north of the city with a waterpark on the roof called Fantasia lagoon which was great, and empty. The mall had some fab shops too and was really cheap.

Then we came down to Koh samui. I planned just to stay the whole time on samui, but we made friends with an English couple who had a dd the same age as dd2, and ended up going to Koh phangan with them, which was lovely and I wish I could have spent more time there. I got really lucky with the first place I stayed, it was through air bnb, and the hosts (English man and his Thai wife) were so lovely and went out of their way to make sure we were ok, gave us lifts places, showed us around the island, and even after I moved on to stay somewhere else they invited me for a night out to watch the boxing (and arranged for their housekeeper to come and babysit), and a dolphin spotting and snorkelling tour to a conservation island.

I also made friends with an ex pat who lived at the first place I stayed, and we've met up a couple of times for drinks, and I've met some of her friends. We also got to know a Dutch family who came on the dolphin tour and they were lovely.

We've done lots of hanging around on the beach, I hired a car for 8 days so we had days out, pretty much every day we've been meeting up with people that I've got to know out here, my social life here has been way better than at home! I think that's what has made it so good, I've made some good friends who have made a real effort to include me in things, knowing that I'm on my own with the dc.

Can give you the name of the first place I stayed if you like, I highly recommend and it was only £20 a night!

mimishimmi Tue 18-Aug-15 03:47:36

It should be fine. This sort of thing could happen anywhere, anytime.

NickiFury Tue 18-Aug-15 12:04:21

Yes please to name of place you stayed smile.

Presumably you're in Bangkok now? Hope all is going smoothly for you.

Dowser Tue 18-Aug-15 12:15:15

We should have left kings cross the afternoon of the 7 th when the bomb went off. We left the next day and security was very tight as it will be there. Yes, I did have a bit of trepidation at the station. It had been a very traumatic time for us travelling with a 5 month old whose dad was in the Russell square hotel when the bomb went off but we needed just to be safe and sound at home.

I hope you enjoyed your trip and it won't put you off going again.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Tue 18-Aug-15 16:26:50

Definitely won't put me off...I want to live here! Already been looking at flights for the next trip.

Arrived safely in Bangkok, you wouldn't know anything had happened except the roads are weirdly quiet, and a tuk tuk driver told me that a lot of things around where the bomb was are still closed.

I think we're pretty safe where we are, we're central but down a side street and our hotel isn't one of the big name chains so hopefully we won't be targeted. Bit worrying that there were two more attempted bombs today though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now