To raise a grievance about this?

(27 Posts)
LemonySmithit Mon 17-Aug-15 17:58:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Euphemia Mon 17-Aug-15 18:02:36

Definite grievance, or at least a strongly worded complaint to her manager.

FenellaFellorick Mon 17-Aug-15 18:03:44

What if you remove your flexibility and tell her that you are now only able to work to your contract. If keeping you as you are is her motivation, remove the benefit to her of doing that.

Or do you think that's too risky for you to feel comfortable with?

Ideally you should raise a grievance, but do you think that she would make things miserable for you if you did? Could you handle that?

Is it possible to find another job and say bugger her!

LemonySmithit Mon 17-Aug-15 18:14:17

LemonySmithit Mon 17-Aug-15 18:15:12

FenellaFellorick Mon 17-Aug-15 18:35:03

It's tricky.
Perhaps meet with her and be honest? Including saying do not put me over my hours on future roars. Follow that up in writing.
You also need to know that it is not up to you to find cover. It really isn't

LemonySmithit Mon 17-Aug-15 18:37:54

Starbrite00 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:42:09

You should have details of how to raise a grievance in your contract or company handbook, this is the law and they have to provide details and procedure.
I take it you work for a well known company?
What she is doing is wrong and you cannot be sacked for whistle blowing.
Are you a member of a union?

LemonySmithit Mon 17-Aug-15 18:44:46

lemoncordial Mon 17-Aug-15 18:55:57

Raise a grievance. Or talk to your hr department. You've been treated terribly.

ElderlyKoreanLady Mon 17-Aug-15 19:05:51

You need to talk to HR or her line manager. And, in the nicest way, you also need to grow a backbone. If she's putting you on the rota for significantly more hours than you're contracted for without asking you in advance, it's most certainly not your job to find someone to do the extra hours. You need to ask her 'Which 20 hours do you want me to work?' then leave her to do her job.

Also, HR or her manager need to be made aware that she's actively discouraging you from applying for different contracts, even pressuring you into withdrawing applications.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 17-Aug-15 19:11:05

It's a grievance issue and sounds like it could be a breach of working time regulations.

Ordinarily I would say talk to the person concerned first but you have already done that and got nowhere.

LemonySmithit Mon 17-Aug-15 21:22:15

ElderlyKoreanLady Mon 17-Aug-15 21:31:33

Yeah, see how you get on with that smile

And try to get out of the mind set of 'letting the team down'. People like you are lovely: you make other people's lives far easier at your own expense. But you also mask poor management. As far as those higher up are concerned, if the work is getting done and complaints are minimal, whoever is in charge is doing a good job.

avocadotoast Mon 17-Aug-15 21:34:53

Sounds like a good plan to me. She needs to get off your back.

I had a student job where I was contracted to 8 hours. They didn't do the rotas until the last second and were always understaffed. They'd ring me most days, "can you work tonight?" and I would say no. Eventually they got the hint and stopped ringing.

It did backfire a little bit as there were weeks that I could've used extra shifts, but they got off my back eventually.

LemonySmithit Mon 17-Aug-15 21:44:47

CupboardOfLoveliness Mon 17-Aug-15 21:45:13

I dont understand why this is happening. If you are asked to work so many hours you just say no. I actually don't think its a personal thing. You are a student and studied come first? So im not sure how you can state actual consistent working hours for a long period of time?

avocadotoast Mon 17-Aug-15 21:46:56

I suppose the difficulty is Cupboard that the manager isn't asking permission for the extra hours, she's just doing a rota. So I suppose the only way to work actual contracted hours would just be to do the first 20 in a week and not turn up for the rest...

ElderlyKoreanLady Mon 17-Aug-15 21:49:53

Be careful with that...you'll get in a lot of trouble if you fail to turn up without disputing the rota.

CupboardOfLoveliness Mon 17-Aug-15 21:51:00

Surely you would question the rota then and say you don't want to work that many hours all at once? I dont get it at all.

Starbrite00 Mon 17-Aug-15 21:55:45

Go to her manager, if no Luck then follow grievance procedure. If you don't have procedure to hand, ask for it.
The fact they are a big company works in your favour as they wont like the negativity.
You boss giving you extra hrs and telling you that you need to find cover is bollocks, she is being a lazy cow and she knows it. She gets paid to find cover and cover shifts.
You covering fir her makes her manager think she's good at her job, so you are making it worse for yourself and your colleagues

LemonySmithit Mon 17-Aug-15 21:56:23

mushypeasontoast Mon 17-Aug-15 22:01:43

If you have evidence that your manager told you to withdraw your application as you wouldn't be able to change contracts then raise a grievance. Without evidence you don't have a leg to stand on.

You do not have to work more than your contracted hours unless it is written into your contract. If your Rota is written without your agreement then write a letter to he questioning this every time and say that you are unable to work the extra hours. You are not letting your team down your shit manager is.

Join a union to get some good advice and support.

Elisheva Mon 17-Aug-15 22:11:09

Have you asked your manager why she employed other students when she told you not to apply on that basis? You could run into difficulties perusing a grievance if you haven't done this first as at the moment your complaint is based on your perception of the situation, not facts.
In the same way have you asked for more perks/better hours? You need to speak to her first and then you could possibly raise a grievance based on her response - e.g. If you complain about your shifts and your manager says that you didn't tell her it was a problem and she thought you appreciated the overtime, then your grievance will go nowhere.

LemonySmithit Mon 17-Aug-15 22:19:11

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now