Talk

Advanced search

To have started on the wine at 3pm?

(24 Posts)
Meh84 Mon 17-Aug-15 17:53:31

Friend came over today after her weeks holiday with her son. She had a shit time because of her kids wingeing constantly....I've had a shit time at home because of my ungrateful gets.

Husband thinks I was BU because we had two glasses of wine. The children weren't running feral, they were playing nicely upstairs.

Is everyone an earth mother apart from me?!

laffymeal Mon 17-Aug-15 17:56:20

I've been shitfaced at 11am some days these holidays grin

LaurieFairyCake Mon 17-Aug-15 17:56:23

What's he objecting about? Does he think he's the boss?

SlagBol Mon 17-Aug-15 18:04:35

Only two glasses!

FadedRed Mon 17-Aug-15 18:09:08

Given your justifications, then gin would have been more appropriate, IMO grin ans why wait until 3pm? The sun would have been over the yardarm somewhere on the planet much earlier.......

ExitStageLeft Mon 17-Aug-15 18:10:14

How old are your kids?

gamerchick Mon 17-Aug-15 18:10:44

Only 2 glasses? Pretty restrained really grin

gamerchick Mon 17-Aug-15 18:11:47

You are going to get judged now yanno OP you do know that? wink

mumofthemonsters808 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:13:58

I think he should be grateful you stopped at two, I've had enough myself, these holidays seem to be lasting forever.Im on countdown to September.

Meh84 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:15:23

grin judge away! I'm so far away from giving a flying monkeys bollocks right now ha!
The children are 6 and 4. I literally had two. Now he's just done the hoovering for me and wants a gold star! Shit a brick

juneau Mon 17-Aug-15 18:25:18

I don't blame you. My kids are getting on my nerves now too. The whinging and complaining and whining and having to take them every-bloody-where I go, accompanied by a chorus of complaints, is starting to wear really thin.

So no, YWDNBU! Might have a glass myself actually ...

Fatmomma99 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:27:02

Think you were very restrained myself. (also, unless your glasses are VERY large), 2 each wouldn't finish the bottle, suggest you crack on and glug it up.

Cheers

wine

IJustLostTheGame Mon 17-Aug-15 18:28:58

I fail to see the problem, unless you gave the two glasses to the kids...

JenniferYellowHat1980 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:31:06

If I'd had any in I'd have done the same given the sleepless nights DS is giving me at the moment. As it is, I've sat on my arse most of the day and let the TV do the talking. Tomorrow will be an active day so no guilt here and DH has been told do.

makemineapinot Mon 17-Aug-15 18:31:20

Def not BU!! Mothers of young children need to start earlier than mothers of teens as your parenting started much much earlier in the day!

ApocalypseNowt Mon 17-Aug-15 18:33:00

It's always 5 o'clock somewhere. YANBU.

elfycat Mon 17-Aug-15 18:37:10

I had baileys in my morning coffee this morning (about 9am)

We arrived home at 11pm last night after a holiday and didn't stop to get any milk so we used a 'milk substitute' instead grin

YADNBU.

twirlypoo Mon 17-Aug-15 18:40:55

I'm a lone parent and was SO on my knees with ds a few months ago my mum offered to have him while I checked into a hotel to catch up on sleep / sanity. I went to the bar and ordered a cocktail at 11am and the receptionist looked at me like I was a total alchie. I conversationally told her I had a toddler who didn't sleep and she said "oh! Well that explains it" with a massive grin grin

ChopinLizst Mon 17-Aug-15 18:46:40

I don't blame you. My kids are getting on my nerves now too. The whinging and complaining and whining and having to take them every-bloody-where I go, accompanied by a chorus of complaints, is starting to wear really thin.

^^ THIS

I was feeling guilty for having a drink at 5pm after a full day working from home with my youngest DD in and out of my bloody office bedroom every five mins moaning about wanting Oreos and My Little Pony on a constant loop. I'm on glass no.2 and chilling nicely (me, not the wine, that was on ice ages ago). My only worry is that I might run out! Now cannot drive and walking is a PITA.

OP - by the way - YADNBU. I'm happy to argue this with your husband after another glass of wine

Holidayornot Mon 17-Aug-15 19:03:51

How did he do the hoovering "for" you?

SchwarzwalderKirschtorte Mon 17-Aug-15 19:22:35

You'll have the Mumsnet "slippery slope" crew out soon to tell you that you must go to AA immediately. Drinking with children around?! shock

Not a problem, you fancied a drink and had one. smile

If it had been 2 bottles each, and the children were having WKD, that would be different.

EatShitDerek Mon 17-Aug-15 19:31:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crazykat Tue 18-Aug-15 15:38:23

I don't see the problem as a one off, if it was every day then I might get a bit judgy. It's not like you had a full bottle and were drunk.

Last week I had a cider at 4pm after a week of my kids driving me insane. Tbh I'd have had one earlier if I'd had any in, as it was I dragged the kids to the shop after lunch to get some smile.

Mamadothehump Tue 18-Aug-15 15:45:00

I have been rather tipsy at least once a week these school holidays with friends whilst our children play together in the afternoon. I shall be doing this tomorrow. And Friday. Hey ho!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now