Talk

Advanced search

To think that doing a CBeebies Birthday card for a 1 year old is a waste of time and cuts down the number of 2/3/4 year olds who would like to see their card shown?

(17 Posts)
Mrscog Mon 17-Aug-15 16:31:06

A light hearted one for the afternoon....

I was watching the birthday card section of CBeebies today, and it occurred to me that it is a bit of a waste of time and selfish of people to use up airtime on a 1 year old's card when the 1 year old won't have a scoobie what's going on. Surely it's better to use that effort when the DC is 2,3 or 4 and they might actually stand a chance of understanding and enjoying the moment? It would also mean that more 2/3/4 year olds would get a chance to enjoy seeing their card!

AIBU?

ElderlyKoreanLady Mon 17-Aug-15 16:37:58

I never understood why people do it for 1 year olds either. YANBU.

MrEmerald Mon 17-Aug-15 16:41:20

I've always said this then feel like a giant meanie. I think it's unfair on the older kids who can actually get excited and look for their card, a 1 year old doesn't even know it's their bloody birthday!

Lj8893 Mon 17-Aug-15 16:43:00

I was thinking this too! I was also wondering if it's even worth doing at 2.
My other thought was don't most family's go out/have a party on a child's birthday and so they wouldn't watch it anyway??

Mrscog Mon 17-Aug-15 16:44:43

YY Lj8893 my DS wouldn't have got it at 2 either, but I think there are some who might. I might give one a whirl when he's 4 next March.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my thought!

Lj8893 Mon 17-Aug-15 16:46:11

My dd is 2 in a couple of months and I thought about doing it but I don't think she will get it. I shall wait till she's 3!

startagainonmonday Mon 17-Aug-15 16:49:42

It's probably swings and roundabouts, if you couldn't do a card for a 1yo the parents would be sending them in when their DC reached 2/3/4 instead so you'd still have less chance.

Having said that I'm still not over having videotaped weeks' worth of Take Hart gallery segment for nothing...my slightly lopsided picture of a blackbird was bloody brilliant I tell you grin

ShakesBootyFlabWobbles Mon 17-Aug-15 16:57:51

I had one shown smug

Totally irrelevant to your question but I felt the need to share.

Yab a bit u.

Mrscog Mon 17-Aug-15 17:03:25

Gz shakes star smile And startagain yes that's true, but at least they would all be much more likely to appreciate the moment. It's the waste of time I can't abide!!

fakenamefornow Mon 17-Aug-15 17:09:26

I agree, in fact I started this exact same thread about five years ago. Most people disagreed with me then though.

Snozberry Mon 17-Aug-15 17:17:16

I made one for my 2yo and ended up giving it to her instead of sending it in as I realised she would probably not notice or care if it was on the telly. I think it's more for the parents when they're tiny.

TruJay Mon 17-Aug-15 17:50:54

In my experience yabu. I did one for ds's first and he knew it was him when it was shown, he got very excited. He spoke very early on and has a crazy memory and still mentions it now.

But in the case of dd who will be two I'm a few months Yanbu she wouldn't realise it was her at all so I didn't send one in. It depends on the child I think.

Hygellig Mon 17-Aug-15 18:47:13

I have never understood why people do these cards for one-year-olds, as I don't think they would appreciate it (not sure if a two-year-old would for that matter) - it will just be for the parents' benefit. Mind you, my children rarely watch the birthday card segment so I think I will get away with not doing one for the duration of the preschool years.

JuneIsBustingOutAllOver Mon 17-Aug-15 20:37:31

I read your title as for an 11 year old and thought bloody hell my DS would kill me if I sent one in for him!

Sandwichesareameal Mon 17-Aug-15 21:34:03

I did one when dd turned 2. I only did it for me really but when it was shown she was amazed. I was quite surprised how excited she was to see herself being held up by Cat grin

KrisPBacon Mon 17-Aug-15 21:57:21

My friend did one for her ds first birthday. My dd helped to make it. He had a very aggressive form of leukaemia and passed away a few days after. Apparently he saw it and recognised himself. Even now I can't hear the theme tune from In the Night Garden without getting a lump in my throat. It was the theme of his funeral and his coffin was covered in iggle piggle and pinky-ponk drawings. Hope you don't mind me posting this op. Just reminded me of a beautiful little boy.

SalemSaberhagen Mon 17-Aug-15 22:01:12

YABU!

I may or may not be in the throes of making one for DDs first birthday next month

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now