Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what it's really like to live in Milton Keynes .

(39 Posts)
Dowser Mon 17-Aug-15 15:21:48

Not an aibu.

I travel to MK 4 times a year in each season and stay 3 nights at a time I love the shopping centre. I love the buzz. It strikes me as quite an upbeat place. There seems to be a fair bit of money around and plenty of jobs. People in general come across as happy

I love the theatre, the entertainment on offer. The cinemas. The markets . It appears to be quite a youngish persons place. It seems very multi cultural.

Is it as good as it looks. In the winter it does come across as looking a bit bleak and a bit soul-less. Is there a good sense of community.

If you don't mind outing yourself I would like to know.

mmmuffins Mon 17-Aug-15 15:23:03

"Not an aibu."

confused

Welshmaenad Mon 17-Aug-15 15:23:37

Do you promise this isn't going to turn into a Bognor Regis situation? hmm

I can't help, sorry. I went there once and hated it.

MrsTrentReznor Mon 17-Aug-15 15:25:56

I've been to the bowl a couple of times...
Roundabouts make me travelsick. MK Is hellish for me. blush

GarminGirl Mon 17-Aug-15 15:40:43

I live in the outskirts but love MK!

My teens go there lots, the snowdome and bars are great, great parking too. And they have a fab marathon. The Dons stadium is newly built and ver accesible

Oh, and we have ikea!

MsRinky Mon 17-Aug-15 16:07:11

I've been in MK for over a decade now, and I've been assimilated! It's green, it's friendly, it is still reasonably cheap in comparison to everywhere else that is 35 minutes by train from central London.

MK has a bit of a Millwall thing going - no-one likes us, we don't care - because we all know that when we tell someone where we live it will all be about roundabouts and concrete cows. There's a bit in Good Omens which refers to Milton Keynes with the following footnote, which just about sums it up:

"Note for Americans and other aliens: Milton Keynes is a new city
approximately halfway between London and Birmingham. It was built to be
modern, efficient, healthy, and, all in all, a pleasant place to live.
Many Britons find this amusing."

I work for the OU which is a community in itself, but I think it has a good community spirit in general. I can't pretend it has everything I wish for in a place - I love live music, but go to London for that, and the only good pubs require driving, which render them pointless. No matter, I am 10 minutes from the station so my "local" is actually in picturesque Berkhamsted. Plus because I don't pay London or Berkhamsted house prices, I can actually afford to go out still, unlike my friends with London mortgages who sit in watching telly eating beans every night.

But I have an ace house - it is in one of several enclaves built for exhibitions, so has all kinds of interesting architecture. I am 5 minutes from ancient woodlands. I can cycle the 7 miles to work almost entirely through the beautiful linear parks - or drive there in 15 minutes because the maligned roundabouts don't half keep the traffic flowing. Yes, the chainstores and chain restaurants dominate for the casual visitor, but there are hidden gems everywhere if you don't just whizz through on the roundabouts with an attitude.

BleachEverything Mon 17-Aug-15 16:09:37

This isn't a AIBU? It is because you posted it in here.

YABU to live in Milton Keynes, it's a hive.

WilburIsSomePig Mon 17-Aug-15 16:12:53

I live about half an hour from MK. I like it for some things. Good theatre, great shops and restaurants, lovely parks, snow dome etc etc. I go quite a lot but I would absolutely not want to live there.

Thurlow Mon 17-Aug-15 16:17:24

I grew up there in the 90s. Very good place to be a child - lots of parks and green spaces, these big, safe cycle paths (redways) that loop around the estates, shopping centre that was easy to get to and hang out in all day.

I wouldn't move back there now but part of that is just not wanting to live where you grow up grin Plus you really do have to drive, and it's not like you can just walk to the train station or anywhere, actually.

But really, it's fine. The Good Omens quote is spot on!

MrsTrent, my parents are still in MK and going there while pregnant with HG was a nightmare <shudders>

GarminGirl Mon 17-Aug-15 16:22:27

Ooh bleach do tell us whereabouts you live and how it compares to a 'hive'!?

BleachEverything Mon 17-Aug-15 16:26:04

I live in a very affluent and expensive part of Buckinghamshire.

Thurlow Mon 17-Aug-15 16:27:28

Well isn't that lovely, bleach hmm

BleachEverything Mon 17-Aug-15 16:34:44

What my location? Well yes, where I live is very nice.

OP asked for our opinions on MK, that's mine.

globetrotter141 Mon 17-Aug-15 16:41:22

Use to really hate it but it's grown on me. It is a bit weird though but there is lots to do, loads for kids and just about every shop you could want. There's also loads of nice parks in mk and close by. It's easy to get round, rush hour barely exists, thanks to all the ring roads and you can get everywhere in mk in about 15 mins!

It's also only half an hour from London by train, so not a bad place to live if you can afford the house prices!

msrisotto Mon 17-Aug-15 16:45:03

I wouldn't live in MK, (apart from the old village which is very nice), but there are surrounding villages which are nice, and then you get the convenience of the centre with all it's amenities.

Jojoanna Mon 17-Aug-15 16:45:12

I love MK. I think it's a great place !

lampygirl Mon 17-Aug-15 16:50:46

I live on the outskirts but will no doubt be fully adopted in as it grows. I like the place. It's designed for the car, so you don't get stupid queues on high streets or whatever, it's logical and nigh on impossible to get lost.

I can walk or cycle to work, plenty of parkland and lakes for us to walk the dog, we can get a train to London in 35minutes and it has a good range of facilities that interest me. I wouldn't live near the centre though as I like the idea of a more village feel close to a town centre rather than in a town centre if that makes sense.

MsRinky Mon 17-Aug-15 16:54:34

A hive? Gosh, it doesn't have those ghastly workers does it? How dreadful.

Of course one of the other good things about living in MK is that you don't have to spend much time with the kind of people whose identity rests entirely on where they live, or who think they're far too special and superior to live in such a place. I see a couple of them have bestowed their opinions already...

Fixitwithwine Mon 17-Aug-15 16:57:39

Is it a city? I always thought it was a town. Nice shopping centre.

BleachEverything Mon 17-Aug-15 16:58:41

Just because people think a location isn't a nice place to live, really doesn't mean they rest their identity on anything. Don't project.

sebsmummy1 Mon 17-Aug-15 17:01:15

It has an Ikea! I know a few people that live there, I used to work just outside it for quite a good number of years.

There are good parts and shitty parts. I always need my sat nav to find anywhere as the whole place looks the same. It has some great facilities and good transport links. Lots and lots of businesses so I would assume employment is high.

I imagine a pretty good place to live all in all.

JRShotMe Mon 17-Aug-15 17:09:49

I live in an "affluent and expensive" part of Buckinghamshire too but I would prefer to live nearer to MK, there are lots of really nice little surrounding villages. Our main hobbies are climbing and skiing and at the moment we have to drive about 35-40 minutes to get to the climbing wall and indoor ski slope. I'd love to be closer to the amenities that somewhere like MK offers but work dictates otherwise for now.

Dowser Mon 17-Aug-15 17:10:13

Mainly positive then. That's what I thought. Ido feel that the people seem very easy going. Must be all that extra sun shine you get dahn sarth;-)

Love the way the traffic flows freely. Never too much of a rush. Theatre is superb. I really miss that when I get home. Gutted we came home a day before Shrek started.

Eating out is a bit awkwardness there are a lot of chains. Tend to opt for wagamama and went for Indian food at rajdhani last night. The shopping is amazing though.

I'm always bemused by the beach they build in the shopping centre. Surely that would be better in the open air.

Love all the greenery,cycle paths , parks etc , just come winter the centre can look quite bleak.

Is there a good community spirit on the estates?

Dowser Mon 17-Aug-15 17:12:25

Will have to take the train to London for next visit!

HoneyDragon Mon 17-Aug-15 18:17:34

I live in an expensive affluent part of the shires too. Basically overpriced bollocks with nowt to do and twee as shite views.

I like MK, we considered moving there but got an ace deal in our current locality so stayed. I'm envy of MrsRinky though and her house. I luffs all those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now