Talk

Advanced search

to think that Haagen Daz ice cream is evil??

(25 Posts)
lilifer Sun 16-Aug-15 23:18:06

..OK well maybe not evil as such, but there has to be a secret ingredient in there which means that once you start a tub, you cant stop.

I decided to treat myself tonight to a half tub of HG Pralines and cream from the freezer. I ate it almost like an automaton, from the time i started i felt like i had to keep going until it was all gone. Then, (and this is really where i am disgusted with myself) i went BACK to the freezer and started a whole new tub of the stuff, telling myself i was only going to have a few more spoons of it.

I was two thirds of the way through the second tub when i managed to stop, feeling slightly ill and totally annoyed at myself.

It is totally out of character for me to gorge on stuff like Haagen Daz. I eat healthily, enjoy moderate amounts of chocolate, love fruit, salads wholemeal bread and tend to dislike really processed food.

Until tonight, cos it doesn't get more processed than HG ice cream. I felt like i was possessed and with evey mouthful i took i felt compelled literally to shove more and more in.

There has to be some secret highly addictive substance in that ice cream (heroin?) cos i have never felt compulsion like it before!

Pipbin Sun 16-Aug-15 23:19:04

What ever it is they put it in Pringles too.

Schoolisback1973 Sun 16-Aug-15 23:24:25

I know!!! Pralines and Cream is my favourite. I usually buy 2 tubs so my daughter has some and I eat the other one secretly on my own!!. am so greedy when it comes to Haagen Daz!! blush

MrsGentlyBenevolent Sun 16-Aug-15 23:24:31

And Jaffa cakes....

lilifer Sun 16-Aug-15 23:30:43

no i really think its just haagen daz. I can stop at one tin of pringels

Its SOO unlike me, i am normally so disciplined but it was like something had taken me over and i had to keep eating until i eventually felt sick, that cant be normal.

I remember reading somewhere that it is the combination of fat and sugar that makes a food irresistible to the point that even though you are full you cannot stop eating, they did experiments on rats and found this to be the case.

UghMug2 Sun 16-Aug-15 23:31:37

I hate ice cream. It's all evil!

pomegranatesandfilms Sun 16-Aug-15 23:35:06

Yes I had this problem a few days ago. Have been eating healthily for while now, I saw them on offer in Tesco so bought a couple of tubs. I made us all an icecream nothing untoward. I then proceeded to have two more. I then came down in the morning and I found the other tub empty in the bin.confused They will never enter this house again - bastards!!

lilifer Sun 16-Aug-15 23:38:18

pomegranate i am binning all HG ice cream in my freezer and NEVER buying the stuff again. I may as well have eaten a whole huge box of chocs on my own, disgusting.

It took over me, i just could not stop, until i began to feel like throwing up which was when i came around to my senses again!

FundamentalistQuaker Sun 16-Aug-15 23:42:20

There is some kind of magic fat-salt-sugar ratio that makes you keep eating. That's my excuse, anyway.

pomegranatesandfilms Sun 16-Aug-15 23:44:52

tis true foresme I was hiding in the pantry guzzling it straight from the freezer, whilst shouted to the children "No you can't have anymore ice cream!" It's worse than crack-cocaine I'm sure.

RJnomore Sun 16-Aug-15 23:48:46

It's vile stuff but at least not as vile as Ben and jerrys. I love proper ice cream though (Kelly's is about the best in a supermarket)

GizzyTiedToATree Mon 17-Aug-15 07:27:37

I have taught myself to eat in moderation over the years (I am a binge eater) but there are a few foods that I cannot stop eating.

They include, among others, Haagen Dazs ice cream, praline-filled chocolate and raw cookie dough, so I agree with FundamentalistQuaker that it must have something to do with the fat / sugar ratio.

londonrach Mon 17-Aug-15 07:43:24

Seriously i cant see why haagen dazs is nice ice cream. Its very sweet and artifial. Cant think of a worse ice cream to eat. Now jaffa cakes theres a magic there as you eat one and the whole pack has gone. I dont think they putting as many in the package as they used it. Anyone else remember eating more than one when you open a package. Dont get me on pringles. They are banned as one is never enough.....

londonrach Mon 17-Aug-15 07:44:20

Rj..agree kellys is good as is the cornish ice cream.

nottheOP Mon 17-Aug-15 07:46:54

I find that I'm digging for the praline

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 17-Aug-15 11:09:41

I tried a Haagen Dazs with crushed Florentine biscuits that was truly addictive. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be in the shops anymore.

Jaffa Cakes, nope. They're just bland and dry.

Pipbin Mon 17-Aug-15 11:10:08

Hmmm. So people are saying that Haagen Daz is all nasty and artificial but Kelly's is all lovely and natural?

Pipbin Mon 17-Aug-15 11:11:26

The first picture is Haagen Daz and the second is Kelly's.

milliemanzi Mon 17-Aug-15 11:14:28

I'm more of a Ben n Jerry's person, Iceland do extra big cartons for £4, it's torture I tell you.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 17-Aug-15 11:15:02

I've tried Kelly's, it was unremarkable.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 17-Aug-15 11:18:43

Ben and Jerry's have far too many bits and pieces. I have no idea idea what the actual ice-cream is like as I'm busy dodging bits of marshmallow, chocolate, caramel cores.....

Too much!

But Cadbury's have launched an awful range of ice-cream too filled with lots of sugary rubble that's even worse than B&J.

milliemanzi Mon 17-Aug-15 11:20:12

Ha I like those Cadbury ones too! The willy wonka ones?
However I normally have them with a lovely good quality vanilla to even things out.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 17-Aug-15 11:26:11

There was popping candy in one I tried!

WorktoLive Mon 17-Aug-15 11:29:59

This thread reminds me of a bit in what may be quite an obscure Mike Myers film called 'so I married an axe murderer' where MMs character's Dad (who was also played by MM) goes off on an antiestablishment rant about the Colonel from KFC 'who puts addictive chemicals in his food to make you crave it fortnightly' grin.

But OP, YANBU. The whole premise of any treaty junky foods seems to be to trick you into eating more than you want to.

It is always on special offer so you buy more than you intended to and once opened, you end up finishing it off, even if the packet/tub contains several servings. They know that many people don't have the willpower to leave things unfinished.

After all, many people don't actually share 'share packs' of crisps/chocolate with anyone.

I agree with the PP who mentioned Pringles - the 'once you pop, you can't stop' isn't really a selling point, it's a warning that maybe we should heed more closely.

FundamentalistQuaker Tue 18-Aug-15 14:02:21

Well, I only crave KFC eery five years approx, so I must have partial immunity to the chemicals they use.

This thread reminds me of my mother, who practically weeps for the demise of Loseley any time you serve her ice cream. All other brands are inferior, apparently. My DH claims Jude's is the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now