Talk

Advanced search

To ask MIL to knit a pattern I like for DD ?

(16 Posts)
Lastminutelizzie Sun 16-Aug-15 16:29:33

Can anyone recommend knitting patterns for a jumper suitable for fashion conscious 10yr old. My MIL insists on knitting the most hideous old fashioned styled cardigans which DD doesn't like and won't wear. Her knits are usually presented as a gift, so AIBU to ask her to knit something DD has chosen ?

BestZebbie Sun 16-Aug-15 16:37:16

Get your DD to look on Ravelry (www.ravelry.com) and choose her own pattern - then you can narrow the search just to free patterns or ones you can download online if that would help, and have thousands to choose from.

GrouchyKiwi Sun 16-Aug-15 16:40:26

Milamia has nice patterns for children.

HoggleHoggle Sun 16-Aug-15 16:43:26

What sort of clothes does your dd like? I would love a chunky cable knit cardigan to wear over dresses or with jeans in autumn, would your dd ever wear something like that? Then your MIL could knit it in whatever colour your dd likes? Gap have nice knitwear so your MIL could work from that sort of inspiration, or somewhere like Cath a Kidston if your dd was that way inclined? Sorry not sure about actual patterns though.

redshoeblueshoe Sun 16-Aug-15 16:47:34

YANBU - I knit for others and its great when they choose what they want. I agree go on ravelry, use the filters, and maybe get your MIL on there too.

clicketyclick66 Sun 16-Aug-15 17:02:06

Have a look at the patterns on the Tivoli website - they are stunning!

clicketyclick66 Sun 16-Aug-15 17:03:39

This is the website
www.tivolispinners.com/tivoli-patterns/aran-patterns/

HeighHoghItsBacktoWorkIGo Sun 16-Aug-15 17:06:57

I knit this one for my 11 year old. I swapped the yarn for another KingCole yarn that was the same gauge but pure wool. DD is very happy with it. It was quick and easy.

www.loveknitting.com/cardigan-and-waistcoat-in-king-cole-big-value-aran-3976

RaisingSteam Sun 16-Aug-15 17:46:56

YANBU

Do watch it as some knitters (I mean you my MIL) do have a comfort zone and they might find international patterns a bit hard to follow

Rowan Kids brochure here has some lovely designs

Hotpotpie Sun 16-Aug-15 17:55:18

I think thats reasonable, I echo Ravelry, rowan and also jaeger have nice stuff

Northernlurker Sun 16-Aug-15 17:59:40

YANBU. Have an honest chat with your mil, armed with a topshop catalogue or similar because otherwise she won't get it. Obviously dd is a bit young for topshop etc now but she's looking that way not backwards. She might also like really funky scarves or a blanket if mil feels like doing that. You need to approach it right, something like 'Mil, we all love your knits, so nice for dd to wear something that's a labour of love from you. I really want to keep that up over the next few years so I thought it would be nice to have a chat about what she might like and encourage her to pick a pattern. Have a look at this and this - shall we get dd in and see what she says too? Really admire your skill btw'

redshoeblueshoe Sun 16-Aug-15 18:41:19

My GD looks on Ravelry with me, anything she likes she puts in favourites/library.
What does she like ? There are lots of minecraft things, or any hobby related. clearly I have forgotten what 10 year old girls like

LavenderLeigh Sun 16-Aug-15 18:58:29

As a knitter, I'd love someone to chose a pattern they wanted for me to knit. As long as it didn't have intarsia, that is!
Could MIL and DD choose the pattern and wool together, with you paying for them?

Welshmaenad Sun 16-Aug-15 19:04:11

Another recommendation for Ravelry.

This has brought back nice memories of October trips to my lovely great aunt to pick the Christmas jumper I wanted (usually something chunky knit and sloppy off the shoulder, it was the 90s!) and get measured up.

jeanmiguelfangio Sun 16-Aug-15 19:08:51

My photo history is full of wonderful grandma and mum jumpers!! My daughter now has jumpers knit by me. I echo Ravelry, its a great place.
Maybe she could go to a wool shop with her grandma and pick the wool too, fun colours. When you get to feel it too, work out if it is itchy. Your MIL would probably like to do it with her too, and they a
ways have patterns they can look through together

steff13 Sun 16-Aug-15 19:10:18

Ravelry! That's where I get all my patterns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now