Talk

Advanced search

work notice, tell the truth or lie...

(61 Posts)
Altinkum Sun 16-Aug-15 11:14:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RepeatAdNauseum Sun 16-Aug-15 11:17:21

I would just say that you will be leaving on X date. Keep it short and professional. If the company are interested in why you are leaving, they will ask you to attend a leavers' interview, and you'll have a chance there to talk about the issues you faced. If they don't want to know, they'll just let you leave.

I wouldn't risk burning bridges when there is no benefit to you. If the company aren't clever enough to talk to their leavers and actively try to uncover problems, they probably aren't going to action any feedback that you give.

rubyslippers Sun 16-Aug-15 11:18:24

Do HR offer an exit interview?

AnotherTimeMaybe Sun 16-Aug-15 11:18:48

I agree with your Dh.. Im surprised you're not enough pissed off with them to be honest about how you've been treated

Emiliasmumtobe Sun 16-Aug-15 11:20:04

Very sorry to hear of your dreadful experiences thanks

Have you considered handing in a simple resignation letter, but asking for an exit interview with the area manager when you can talk to them in person about why you're leaving?

At the end of the day, it's about what's best for you, not what's best for your area manager, and if you want to leave quietly then you do what's best for you.

Altinkum Sun 16-Aug-15 11:25:46

Lolimax Sun 16-Aug-15 11:27:38

I agree. Go the way you wish to and it sounds like you don't want to stoop to their level but go with dignity and your head held high. The place certainly sounds very toxic and tbh I doubt that with you gone very much will change. An exit interview witnessed by HR and a senior manager might help you with (awful term sorry) closure so give it some thought. Good luck with your new job, and your health smile

AnotherTimeMaybe Sun 16-Aug-15 11:27:43

This past month we have had 8 people just not come back, one a Team Leader where they ripped his notice up in front of him and told him to "fuck off" you "gay faggot"

WTF?? How is that possible?
I'd love to know which company you're talking about!!

Altinkum Sun 16-Aug-15 11:29:39

Kangaroosjump Sun 16-Aug-15 11:29:52

I would consider if you need a reference or can trust they would give a decent one and make my decision on that

A company who rips up a notice telling someone to F off tbh I don't expect to be trusted to write a worthwhile reference

Salmotrutta Sun 16-Aug-15 11:30:51

God they sound horrendous Altinkum! shock

Your DH is probably so angry on your behalf that he wants these people pulled up on it and if he is in a managerial role I can understand why he would want to know about bad practice if it were his workplace.

But I'd do what was right for me in these circumstances - and have done exactly that in the past. Just worked my notice and left.

Salmotrutta Sun 16-Aug-15 11:32:18

Oh yes and the reference thing - you wouldn't want backlash.

Altinkum Sun 16-Aug-15 11:34:33

AnotherTimeMaybe Sun 16-Aug-15 11:36:00

My God OP! Is this company in London? I am looking to change my jobs, i d die if I ended up there!!

Altinkum Sun 16-Aug-15 11:38:25

Altinkum Sun 16-Aug-15 11:43:29

Garlick Sun 16-Aug-15 11:46:36

I would totally tell them. And copy your letter up the food chain. It sounds like certain people need to be sacked.

mojo17 Sun 16-Aug-15 11:46:38

I would make sure your back is covered and then tell the truth definitely tell all the truth about all you know

achieve6 Sun 16-Aug-15 11:46:50

it depends how you feel about the risk of them badmouthing you

under the law, they can't give you a bad reference for telling the truth. I would do it politely and professionally even though they deserve a more aggressive approach...

but if you are in a situation where world will get round your industry that you are a trouble maker or some such, then no.

let us know what you decide.

Kangaroosjump Sun 16-Aug-15 11:48:10

If you have the reference I would go way above the monkeys and let head office know what's happening on behalf of other workers...

AnotherTimeMaybe Sun 16-Aug-15 11:48:20

Oh good luck OP, in sure you'll find something amazing!!
I hope your boy is ok!flowers

Garlick Sun 16-Aug-15 11:48:50

BTW, I'd also stress you aren't looking for compensation (assuming you aren't) as this will help them take you seriously without requiring evidence & so forth. They can conduct an internal investigation in their own time.

LIZS Sun 16-Aug-15 11:51:42

Iiwy I would request a discussion with nice manager and area manager. Your letter can state bare facts but you can voice your experience. Doubt it will make much difference if there are ingrained prejudices and shortcuts though, so it may be better for you to just draw a line and move on.

Altinkum Sun 16-Aug-15 12:07:01

LIZS Sun 16-Aug-15 12:10:14

Did you not have an accident recently? Can you get signed off for your notice period to recover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now