Talk

Advanced search

to think car parks are NOt the place for toddlers on balance bikes

(9 Posts)
Northernlurker Sat 15-Aug-15 19:38:17

Just watched a woman 'supervising' her 4 yr old (estimate) on his balance bike. In the supermarket car park. She was at points around 15 metres away from him.

He had a helmet on. Much good would it do him if she was distracted for a minute or he failed to obey her instructions and carried on behind a car which started to reverse. He was of course far too small to be seen in anybody's mirrors or by glancing over your shoulder.

They picked up the bike and carried it over the road out of the car park. I don't know what they thought the difference was between cars on the road and the cars in the car park. Did they think car parks give cars the ability to sense and hop over poorly supervised children? hmm

We were meticulous about teaching car park safety with our dc. Held hands, taught them to look out for moving cars. This mother has just taught him that a car park is the ideal place to play. AIBU to think that's a bit of a parenting fail?

rubyslippers Sat 15-Aug-15 19:41:15

Of course YANBU

That's utterly ridiculous / car parks are dangerous places

Northernlurker Sat 15-Aug-15 19:46:10

I should have said something but couldn't think what to say without sounding like mad judgemental woman - but then I am judging so perhaps should have expressed that! The kids can go so fast on balance bikes too. Especially in a sloping car park which this was..........

YouTheCat Sat 15-Aug-15 20:25:10

I saw a small child (I'd say 2/3) in the trolley area of Sainsbury's a few months ago, playing with the automatic doors. No adult in sight. Right near the bust car park. I initially thought he was with someone who was about 20 metres away at the cashpoint. I waited and watched for 5 minutes. I was just about to get a security guard when the mother sauntered up, phone in hand.

Nothing surprises me. A balance bike in a car park is just stupid.

rainbowunicorn Sat 15-Aug-15 20:28:40

I really don't get why people do this I mean why would you take a kid to a busy supermarket on a bike? it drives me mad when I am shopping and kids are zooming about on scooters etc inside the shop as well.

BlueberryWafer Sat 15-Aug-15 20:31:33

I am bu for reading your original post as 'to think parks are not the place for toddlers on balance bikes' pops!

Yadnbu .

YouTheCat Sat 15-Aug-15 20:57:21

Last week there was a family of 5 kids running full pelt up and down the aisles playing hide and seek.

ShadowStar Sat 15-Aug-15 22:38:00

Of course YANBU. It's stupid and dangerous.

SnapesCapes Sat 15-Aug-15 22:39:58

Wow you're NBU at all, she should have her head read letting him ride anything about a car park. Crazy parenting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now