Talk

Advanced search

Nice Christening gift for a baby girl?

(36 Posts)
MargaretHale Sat 15-Aug-15 18:46:46

My husband has been asked to be a godparent and we've been racking our brains trying to come up with a nice Christening gift. We don't particularly want to go down the 'solid silver tankard/money box/ etc' route because it doesn't especially appeal to us - we'd rather get something more practically useful, but with a bit of longevity (so not, eg, a set of baby grows or something).

And the parents aren't especially religious, so not too sure about getting a bible/cross/etc.

But it has to be a bit special, because he is her godfather.

So far I've come up with one of those nice breakfast sets you can get for kids, with Peter Rabbit or Winnie the Pooh or something on - should be useful, should get used, she'll probably like it when she's a bit older...

Can anyone think of anything better? Thanks in advance!

LilyTucker Sat 15-Aug-15 18:48:48

There is a lovely book called "Blueberry Girl".

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sat 15-Aug-15 18:49:07

How about a nice set of books? My DS was given a boxed set of Roald Dahl books which look lovely in his room & will be read over years

TendonQueen Sat 15-Aug-15 18:49:23

Set of classic books, like Beatrix Potter?

Baffledmumtoday Sat 15-Aug-15 18:51:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 15-Aug-15 18:52:15

The best Christening presents my dd's have been given are: a lovely quilt, a big soft bunny toy, classic children's books in big, illustrated hardback, a silver bangle (full size one she will be able to wear when she's a teenager).

The ones that will probably stay in their boxes forever are a little silver hairbrush, a little silver money box, a little silver jewellery box.

We were also given a terrumundi (sp) savings pot for each of them. We quite like those as we stick our spare change in them . they can crack them open when they are older.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 15-Aug-15 18:52:20

Books are good.

He could give a collection of his favourite books when he was a toddler/child/teen/student/man. Books to take you through life.

ShootTheMoon Sat 15-Aug-15 18:52:36

Agreed, classic books - either classic authors or a lovely poetry compendium for children.

I also had book labels printed up with the child's full name - 'this book belongs to...' which I could put in the book (from honeytree publishing). They seemed to be well received, anyway smile.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 15-Aug-15 18:52:40

Or a bottle of something that will age nicely.

MargaretHale Sat 15-Aug-15 18:53:20

Oh no, meant to post in chat! Thanks for the ideas though!

DoItTooJulia Sat 15-Aug-15 18:54:33

Oh, you can't beat a Terramundi! They hold £500 in pound coins when they're full!

Or some kind of framed print for her bedroom wall?

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 15-Aug-15 18:54:48

I bought one of my goddaughters a gorgeous wooden music box.

grabaspoon Sat 15-Aug-15 18:55:12

I give girls book like - Amelia to Zora or Blueberry girl

morelikeguidelines Sat 15-Aug-15 18:59:52

Books are good, I agree.

I quite like it when people buy clothes tbh. It won't last forever (or not for the same child!) but they are useful.

Maybe a bit unsentimental of me though.

MargaretHale Sat 15-Aug-15 19:01:51

Loads of lovely ideas, thank you!

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Sat 15-Aug-15 19:04:28

Books

Or an Emma Bridgewater mug with their name on it and the date of the christening on the bottom?

Maiyakat Sat 15-Aug-15 19:48:55

I got my Godson a fabric advent calendar - all the characters from a nativity scene go in the pockets, and then one gets added to the scene each day. Thought it was something that would last and get used every year - it's also religious but would hopefully still get used even if the family aren't really church goers.

5446 Sat 15-Aug-15 19:59:53

I recently bought a gorgeous Christening gift of a personalised nursery rhyme book. Especially as the boy has an unusual name.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sat 15-Aug-15 20:01:23

I like this 100 years diary as a christening gift.

fatnan76 Sat 15-Aug-15 20:11:16

This may be regional but I got my godson a lovespoon

www.welshlovespoon.com/special-occasions-christening-c-12_34.html?page=all&sort=20a&disp_order=6

moonbabyandthebeast Sat 15-Aug-15 20:39:08

I bought engraved wooden blocks (set of 3) which you have personalised with details of christening. Have also bought a set as a new baby gift and both recipients were thrilled with them.

CalleighDoodle Sat 15-Aug-15 20:47:47

Steiff bear

BikeRunSki Sat 15-Aug-15 20:56:08

The Places You'll Go

Initial charm on a chain

QuietIsland Sat 15-Aug-15 21:10:45

Not practical butfor our godchild we got a frame photo of the sunrise on a Cornwall beach on the day she was born. Got the idea from a Mumsnetter on here. The webpage was 'the day that' photography. Came beautifully packaged and framed.

SunnyL Sat 15-Aug-15 21:11:22

I've bought fruit trees for friends and family with the cheesy note that says 'may they blossom in your love every year'. So far everyone has loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now