Talk

Advanced search

To get up at half 5 to do exercise?

(67 Posts)
susannahmoodie Sat 15-Aug-15 17:33:24

I work FT as a teacher and have 2 dcs, 4 and 2. I am also overweight and this summer I have been doing couch 2 5k. The kids are still in nursery 2 days per week during holidays to keep their place so I have been doing it then or on an evening once they are in bed, or a weekend morning when dh is around. I also did it last year on Mat leave- I'd hand ds2 over as soon as dh got in the door. I also have the shred dvd which I try to do too.

However, when I go back to work I just know I'm going to struggle to fit it in which I know is ridiculous as it is only 30 mins x3 a week. I can do a weekend am but once I get in from work and have put dcs to bed I then have school work to do, by which time it can be 9/10 pm and I am knackered. So the only way I can think to fit it in is to get up early twice a week. I need to be up at 6ish anyway,and scare early risershmmhmm so am often awake then but I'd have to leave them with dh sitting in bed not watching cartoons on the iPad

When I suggested this to dh though he looked at me as if I was mad. This isn't unreasonable is it? How do other people with young dcs who work FT fit in exercise?

Also is it true that I will have more energy if I do this?? Because I could do with some!!

thelittlebooktroll Sat 15-Aug-15 17:37:00

Of course. I often get up at that time to go to the gym or pool and it's really busy. Full of people who get up at 5:30 to exercise. Great start to the daysmile

dementedpixie Sat 15-Aug-15 17:37:22

Dh gets up at 5.45am to go to the gym before work

Woofsaidthedog Sat 15-Aug-15 17:39:40

I get up at 4.50am to exercise as it's the only time I get the bloody house to myself and I hate exercising in the evening! It's easy to do especially in the summer

Totality22 Sat 15-Aug-15 17:40:56

You lot are all bloody mad, but hats off to you!

HemanOrSheRa Sat 15-Aug-15 17:42:30

I got up this morning at 5.45am to go for a run. It was lovely. I always feel much more energised through the day if I make the effort to get up early and go for a run. If I do it in the evening I can feel a bit odd, sort of 'wired' and have trouble sleeping. Plus, I may plan to do it in the evening but other things get in the way as the day goes on, I start to procrastinate, over think it and end up putting it off.

Zeitgeistic Sat 15-Aug-15 17:46:34

I'm a single parent to small children. 3 or 4 times a week I get up early to do an exercise DVD. Only realistic time to do it really - I'm too tired after work.

Kayakinggirl Sat 15-Aug-15 17:48:00

As a teacher feel your pain in lack of time to exercise (also have a 50min commute), so last Jan I started getting up at 5am on tue and thur driving to a pool near work that opens at 6am and swimming for just over and hour.
Already starting to think I am mad doing this next term, but don't see any other way of fitting swimming (my main form of exercise) in.

justtwomorechances Sat 15-Aug-15 17:53:29

I have a 45 minute commute, and get up at 4.45 to go to a gym near work. I do an hour, and will be at my desk by 8. Friends have suggested this is crazy, but I have a business, and cant get away in the day. Once you get in the habit, it becomes second nature, and I feel so much better for it.

Apart from feeling better, you can also feel smug all day that you've got the exercise out of the way!

LadyNym Sat 15-Aug-15 17:59:39

DH gets up at 4.30 a couple of times a week so he can go to the gym before work. I wouldn't do it but if DH doesn't exercise enough he gets really grouchy so I'm happy for him to carry on. Plus I get a better night's sleep then because he sleeps on the sofa so as not to wake me that early in the morning

Anomaly Sat 15-Aug-15 17:59:47

If your DH doesn't get home in time for you to run in the evening then you don't have many other options. Although if you're getting up at 5.30 you'll need to be in bed early so will you still manage the work you need to do in the evening? Also when will you actually get any down time?

The work pattern for teachers with small children can be really tough. My lot are older and from September I'm using more after school care so I can cut the evening work right down.

Any chance you can exercise with the kids about? Get them balance bikes / scooters? I know its not quite the same but it will help your fitness. Your weight will be mainly due to diet anyway.

StealthPolarBear Sat 15-Aug-15 18:03:14

I'm in a slump at the moment but usually I'm up at half five to exercise, shower, get kids to school and am at my desk before 8. I much prefer it when I'm in that routine.

Theycallmemellowjello Sat 15-Aug-15 18:23:48

Obviously this is great if you think you can make it work. I've tried this but it's never lasted -- ended up getting too exhausted in the day and also just losing the willpower to get up very early and exercise. So i guess I'd say that you have to be honest with yourself about whether it's likely you'll stick to it - if not it's better to work out a more realistic programme (a long run once a week combined with walking to work works for me) that you'll actually do rather. Otherwise you run the risk of just failing to do the very demanding programme and then doing nothing. But obviously if you have the willpower then go for it.

susannahmoodie Sat 15-Aug-15 18:23:53

Kids already have bikes and scooters and we go out on them loads.

I like the idea of getting up and going for a swim before work but that would mean leaving the entire morning routine/nursery run to dh which I would feel guilty about- he is v capable but I feel as if working FT I shouldn't really miss it...

I also have to stop eating chocolate....

FindoGask Sat 15-Aug-15 18:28:33

This is what I do. It's the only time of the day I can exercise - evenings don't work for a variety of reasons. It is fine when you get used to it, also I think it helps if you're a lark rather than an nightowl - if you're naturally more alert in the morning.

On the rare occasions I do exercise in the evenings I feel pretty sluggish during and afterwards, so I think mornings work best for me.

nikki1978 Sat 15-Aug-15 18:35:03

Well I couldn't do it but if you think you will keep it up go for it. As long as you are getting enough sleep as exercising is healthy but so is sleep. To lose weight your diet is the most important.

susannahmoodie Sat 15-Aug-15 18:39:51

I am definitely a lark.

I worry about not sticking with it but otherwise it is just so hard to fit it in so I feel something is better than nothing. I know sleep is important but neither of my dcs have been great sleepers. They do sleep through now but the early mornings are still ongoing so I feel I may as well do something productive in that time....

foolmadammas Sat 15-Aug-15 18:41:32

I quite often get up at 4.45am to do a 5am CrossFit class - not every day by any means, but maybe once or twice a week. It can be tough to make myself get out of bed and actually go to it, but it does feel wonderful when you have done, and to know that your day is well and truly started whilst others are just waking up. I do have a little bit of smug superiority about me for the rest of the day though!!

Spartans Sat 15-Aug-15 18:43:27

I do it 3 days a week. The other days I can do it later. If you would have asked dh 'would Spartan keep getting up and exercising at 5.30' he would have said that I wouldn't have. Because up until 3 years ago I gave up on every attempt to get fit. So I would have blamed him for doubting me or think I was mad.

Tbh I can't believe I have kept it up either. Maybe you dh thinks it's a bit extreme and you won't keep it up.

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 15-Aug-15 18:46:38

I get up at 6 twice a week to meet my PT at the gym by 6.30. Easyish in the summer but not sure about February!!

DirtyMugPolice Sat 15-Aug-15 18:46:48

Not BU - it's a sensible idea really as you'll be exercising at a time when you're not forcing anyone else to fit around you. In theory they can all be asleep in bed! Before I was pregnant I used to love my 6.45 boot camp class. You get to feel smug all day too wink

modelthroughit Sat 15-Aug-15 18:47:35

I'm a FT teacher, but no kids. I get up at 6 in the week to go to the gym before week. A 30 min treadmill session plus showering and dressing takes me just under an hour. I always end up skipping the gym if I promise myself I'll go after school. By doing it before, I know it's done and I can relax when I get home. I also feel like I've achieved something pretty decent before 7.30am!

And yes - I do find I feel more energetic when I've gone!

DirtyMugPolice Sat 15-Aug-15 18:48:11

Just reading through the thread it makes me realise how much I miss exercise. Sigh. Roll on dropping the sprog so I can get outside for a frosty morning workout!

modelthroughit Sat 15-Aug-15 18:49:07

Before week? Before school.

temperato Sat 15-Aug-15 18:52:10

If the goal is weight loss rather than fitness then personally I wouldn't bother. Diet plays far more of a role and a good nights sleep helps you lose weight too (something to do with hormones I think.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now