Talk

Advanced search

to refuse to pack any clothes that aren't clean?

(14 Posts)
HarryLimeFoxtrot Sat 15-Aug-15 14:33:34

We are going on holiday on Tuesday. I'm at work on Monday, so I'll be packing tomorrow. Everyone (DH, DD, DS) was warned last weekend that I wouldn't be packing any clothes that weren't clean.

I reminded them all again last night, and informed them that unless the clothes they wanted to take were that in the laundry basket before I started on the laundry this morning, then I couldn't guarantee that they would get washed.

Today they are all wearing things that I expect they will want to take on holiday. AIBU to put my foot down and refuse to pack their dirty clothes?

[There is nowhere to do any laundry where we are going, and I cannot afford to pay to have it washed by the hotel]

Euphemia Sat 15-Aug-15 14:35:21

How old are the DCs?

Sighing Sat 15-Aug-15 14:36:45

They haven't asked yet? Leave it. Don't remind them and carry on. Definitely not your problem.
Why are you packing for them?

oneowlgirl Sat 15-Aug-15 14:36:55

YANBU - I have the same rule in our house, so I'd stick with it.

HarryLimeFoxtrot Sat 15-Aug-15 14:38:45

The DCs are 11 and 9 (and DH is 40).

Happy36 Sat 15-Aug-15 14:41:21

Not unreasonable, stick to it. You have reminded them more than once.

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sat 15-Aug-15 14:46:02

Yanbu

howabout Sat 15-Aug-15 14:47:04

YANBU I have this rule.

I cheat though and get them to pack a day in advance of the laundry deadline date. This concentrates the minds and the laundry pile appears. First time I got mine to pack themselves they forgot pjs and pants but having had to go a whole weekend without they haven't forgotten since.

Euphemia Sat 15-Aug-15 14:47:43

DH and the 11 year-old can do their own packing with you having a quick check of the child's case. Pack worn clothing if it's not obviously dirty.

howabout Sat 15-Aug-15 14:48:37

Just a thought - they could also do their own laundry while you are at work?

HarryLimeFoxtrot Sat 15-Aug-15 15:31:37

Yes, there is certainly the possibility if them doing their own laundry. Although buying school uniform and new school shoes already has to happen on Monday.

If DH actually wants to take any shorts on holiday, he's going to have to wash them himself. I've certainly not had either pair through the wash in the last 3 weeks, so they don't currently pass the 'clean' test.

If I let them pack, then:
(1) they will forget something key (probably swimming kit - they all have form in this regard); and
(2) they will then proceed to spend the holiday complaining that they don't have said key item.

We'd also end up paying excess baggage charges, as DH and DD would simply attempt to take their entire wardrobes (DS would probably just take one change of clothes).

If they were going away without me, I'd totally let them get on with it and see what happenedgrin

Icimoi Sat 15-Aug-15 16:02:56

Does it take you an entire day to pack? Can't you make them wash what they want tomorrow so that you can pack it when it's dry?

specialsubject Sat 15-Aug-15 16:08:10

your husband does his own packing. He may not be that worried about the shorts being freshly washed. Anyway he knows where the kit is. Leave excess baggage behind at airport. He's an adult FFS.

children; pack it whether it needs washing or not - because it probably doesn't really. Wash it when you get home.

MrsHathaway Sat 15-Aug-15 16:59:39

Unless your children are particularly interested in clothes I think you're asking a bit much of them. Tbh I hoard/hide my DCs' clothes before a holiday particularly if I know I won't be washing on the last day.

I appreciate you won't pack dirty because then the whole case would smell unfresh. If DH doesn't care, he takes his own separately. Do you have a cabin-size case?

Tbh I'd always recommend taking multiple cases anyway with stuff split between them. Too many lost bags (DH flies a lot for work and arrives without a bag at least twice a year. He keeps a change of top/underwear/socks in his hand luggage along with a toothbrush and some contact lenses).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now