Talk

Advanced search

Annoying doorstep behaviour

(33 Posts)
AvonCallingg Sat 15-Aug-15 14:13:24

I've just started doing Avon, I do have a full time job too but need extra money to save up for something. Anyway, my mum's done it for years so she signed me up and has been helping me get going.

I am happy doing the following: Delivering the brochures through doors, if someone sees me and doesn't want one then no worries, I'll note it down and won't go back. When collecting books/delivering goods etc, I'm fine with a quick polite chat and not hanging around, hassling them at all. I'm basing this on what I'd be happy with as a customer.

Now my dm is a very chatty lady, she has very few boundaries, no tact and never gets embarrassed. She does this and would like me to do the same:
Take a sample of face cream out with me and an applicators and ask every customer to try it on their hand to feel it for themselves.
Point out in the brochure special offers and if they're not interested point out a different one.
If a man answers the door immediately tell him about all the men's products Avon do.
Take a sample of perfume/aftershave and ask to show them.

I'm cringing at the thought of doing any of those things so wanted a poll to see what people on here think - if you could kindly tell me which approach would make you more likely to buy something and would any of those sales techniques seriously piss you off!

TIA.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 15-Aug-15 14:16:15

I like Avon stuff but I have a no cold callers sign on my door so if you did any of the above you'd get short shrift

If I met you somewhere you were touting for business you could do all of the above and it would be fine smile

LittleMissLady Sat 15-Aug-15 14:17:41

You would immediately piss me off and you would be informed of this.

Leave the catalog, say hi, how are you, have a good day etc and leave

CookieMonstersAngryTwin Sat 15-Aug-15 14:17:51

I wouldn't mind someone knocking on and even leaving the brochure but I find the 'hard sell' tacky and it'd put me right off buying anything when I'd be open to it before!

Go with what you're comfortable with, be natural and take a no as a no and you'll be fine smile

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sat 15-Aug-15 14:18:12

Start off gentle.
If you speak to customers, ask them if they would like to see a sample.
Otherwise, be as friendly/chatty as they are.
You can usually tell if someone is bored and would appreciate a 10 minute chat. Equally, if they are looking flustered with 6 children grabbing at their shirt, they would probably be quite happy for you to drop the book and leg it!
As people get to know you, they will be more chatty.

TheHouseOnTheLane Sat 15-Aug-15 14:18:26

OP...you're in the wrong job. Your Mother sounds like a natural.

Sighing Sat 15-Aug-15 14:19:32

I'd rather Avon didn't come to my door. BUT my ex MIL would ruddy love a chat about cosmetics and free samples but you'd end up with tea and biscuits which might take your time out. If you were somewhere like a stand where i could be enticed in I'd be OK with some patter.

Tokelau Sat 15-Aug-15 14:20:27

All those things that your DM does would annoy me.

If you put the brochure through my door and I didn't want it, I would leave it outside the front door for you to pick it up again, so perhaps you should put the brochures in waterproof bags.

I would be annoyed if you rang the doorbell at all, as DH and I both work from home, and we have a no cold callers sticker on our front door.

I think the best method is just to put it through people's letterboxes. If they are interested they can get in touch with you. If not, you haven't hassled them at all.

SideOrderofChips Sat 15-Aug-15 14:20:27

i love avon and need a new rep but yours mums tactic would bug the shit out of me.

I would absolutely hate what your mum does and close the door after politely but firmly telling her not to come back but I'd expect your mum to make far more sales than you do if you're just dropping brochures off - for a mixture of reasons (a tiny number of people genuinely unexpectedly impressed by products, plus a few lonely people who like the contact, and a few people who feel embarrassed or somehow guilted into ordering something). There is a reason salespeople with quite thick skins are the most successful!

DirtyMugPolice Sat 15-Aug-15 14:38:54

What your mum does would put me off too - but in don't like being harassed at home when I'm most likely busy with other stuff. In boots - fine!

There was a particularly bolshy Avon lady who after I bought from her once she wouldn't leave me alone. She even opened my front door once and started to walk in my hallway as she 'wasn't sure I heard the door ' hmm

WitchofScots Sat 15-Aug-15 14:58:01

The local Avon person puts the catalogues through the door. They insist on doing this and have done for the last 10 years even though I've never bought anything. We have a little note on the letter box that says no catalogues please and they ignore it so the catalogue goes in the recycling bin because it's not in a plastic bag

bigbluebus Sat 15-Aug-15 15:04:43

I've had a number of Avon reps over the years I've lived here. All of them have just put the brochure through the letter box with a request to leave out on XX day for collection and that orders would be delivered on YY date.

I have ordered things from time to time when I have needed/wanted them and on other occasions I have just put the book out with no order. That works fine for me and I don't like hard sell so wouldn't want to be accosted by someone like your Mother - especially as it may not be convenient to talk when she called.

I have no idea how much is sold by either method nor whether the reason people seem to give up as reps is because they don't sell enough, they get fed up or the reason they needed the extra money no longer exists.

EponasWildDaughter Sat 15-Aug-15 15:04:58

Your Mother sounds like a natural.

No. She sounds like PITA when it comes to her job! (Sorry OP)

Using The Hard Sell is inappropriate in most situations, and is most definitely inappropriate on a persons own doorstep. Some people might be feeling really pressurised into buying from her.

WorraLiberty Sat 15-Aug-15 15:05:18

Sorry but if your Mum tried to hassle me like that on my own doorstep, I'd probably threaten to report her.

It's bad enough round here with charity callers and JWs. At least Avon and Kleeneazee just pop the catalogue through the door quietly.

thefourgp Sat 15-Aug-15 15:05:23

I have a relative who is arrogant, travels a lot and works hard. I can't stand him but he's a very successful sales man. (six figures per year he has repeatedly told other family members). I think it's how you have to be to do that job well. I may be wrong but you probably won't earn as much as your mum who sounds like she knows what she's talking about and will have built solid relationships with her regulars due to her natural pushy/friendly nature. smile

Lweji Sat 15-Aug-15 15:05:52

I do think it will be hard to sell, particularly to new customers, without the samples or the personal touch.
I don't think what your mother does is particularly annoying unless she posters people who initially say no, or rings bells that have notices about cold callers or unwanted publicity.
And they sound like good selling techniques.

ReginaBlitz Sat 15-Aug-15 15:08:09

It's called being a good sales person! Avon is hard work to make anything decent, so if your not prepared to be out going and like your mum I wouldn't bother.

Lweji Sat 15-Aug-15 15:08:25

Not posters, FGS, pesters. (It took a few attempts to get around autocorrect, damn it.)

AuntyMag10 Sat 15-Aug-15 15:17:48

No your mums tactics would totally annoy me and I would have no problem closing the door at this. If I want a product I'll go find it. If you are considering doing this, you need to be prepared for more people being annoyed than actually making a sale to.

BikketBikketBikket Sat 15-Aug-15 16:08:33

I've had a few Avon ladies over the years, but your Mum's ideas would put you on my 'do not call' list straight away... Put the catalogue through my door - I will leave it on the doorstep on the stated day (with or without order) and when you deliver my items the money will be here ready for you. That's how it works for me. Good luck cake

AvonCallingg Sat 15-Aug-15 18:59:10

Wow thanks for the feedback. I'm seeing that the general consensus is NOT to do the hard sell if I want to avoid irritating people. And I really don't want to piss people off on their own doorsteps.

Someone said I'll never make much money doing it my way, that's fine, I'm not expecting to be a millionaire from it, just pocket money for my dc's Christmas presents really, plus a new (used) laptop for me next year hopefully. If I make £300 over the next 9-12 months I'll be happy. Also doing online surveys and getting amazon vouchers towards presents.

No, I'm not a natural salesperson wink its very different from my day job and I'm very shy and really don't like bothering people too much.

I'll see how it goes, according to dm the run up to Xmas can be quite lucrative.

pudcat Sat 15-Aug-15 19:03:50

Your Mum would put me off buying anything. When I used to buy Avon I much preferred to buy from someone who brought a catalogue into school.

pudcat Sat 15-Aug-15 19:04:27

Same with Betterware etc

GemmaTeller Sat 15-Aug-15 19:05:44

I'm much more likely to buy if you push a brochure though the letterbox and come back for it in a few day.

With your Mums approach I'm more likely to put my hand up and say 'can I just stop you there....' and end the conversation altogether.

thats if I've bothered to answer the door in the first place

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now