Talk

Advanced search

to be a little upset?

(11 Posts)
thegirlinthegreencardigan Fri 14-Aug-15 20:44:35

Hey I'm new here and not a mum (I'm almost 18) but could do with some advice from some lovely mums!

I have a rare genetic disease called EDS which has lots of symptoms. One is that one eye is slightly droopier than the other. Its not very noticeable in real life but in a photo its really bad.
I was paying with my student ID (I had to take the photo quite a few times and didn't think my eyes looked too bad) and my sister saw the photo and pulled her eyes all funny and laughed at me. I said please don't be nasty about my eyes but this made her laugh even more and she was stroking my arm in a patronising way saying awwww.
AIBU to feel ugly and a little upset?

FenellaFellorick Fri 14-Aug-15 21:00:27

I'm sure you're not ugly but yes it's understandable to feel upset.
What is she like normally?

LunchpackOfNotreDame Fri 14-Aug-15 21:02:27

You're not ugly. I have EDS and it's shit. Yanbu to be upset, some people can be cruel and when they pick up on something they know you're self conscious about its just nasty.

sliceofsoup Fri 14-Aug-15 21:09:48

YANBU, what a shitty thing for your sister to do. shock

YABU to feel ugly though.

Not the same, but I have a lazy eye, and I die a little bit inside every time someone looks over their shoulder when I am speaking to them.

MammaTJ Fri 14-Aug-15 21:15:44

My DS age 8 has a droopy eye lid. He now tilts his head when having a pic done. His sister, who is a year older calls him ugly and takes the mickey! I do tell her off but I know she would kill anyone else for doing the same! She even goes crazy when people stare. It is mean but sort of a siblings job to do this!

Penfold007 Fri 14-Aug-15 21:50:03

MammaTJ really? A siblings job to tease a sibling with a SN? My DH has a droopy eye that he is self-concious of his siblings wouldn't dream of teasing him.

IAmLynetteScavo Fri 14-Aug-15 21:52:53

I have EDS AND a slightly droopy eye. Your sister is being a nasty cow!! I'm sure you're absolutely beautiful, with or without eye droop smile

MammaTJ Fri 14-Aug-15 21:57:19

Penfold. That was a little tongue in cheek. I did say I tell her off!

sliceofsoup Fri 14-Aug-15 22:17:56

I sort of get what MammaTJ means, siblings often tease each other and wind each other up, but would never accept the same from outside the family.

I think the difference here is that the OP was clearly upset by it and asked her sister to stop. There is teasing and then there is going too far about something that really cuts deep, and I think this was the latter.

Penfold007 Fri 14-Aug-15 22:33:14

Fair enough Mamma

chinam Fri 14-Aug-15 22:48:37

Nastiness is far more ugly than any physical imperfections. I bet you are beautiful just as you are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now