Talk

Advanced search

To delete Minecraft?

(18 Posts)
Addictedtolego Fri 14-Aug-15 18:34:05

Ds is 11 and driving me crazy. He just can't leave the computer alone. He's a bright boy and used to write stories, draw, loved geography etc. Now he does absolutely nothing. He has lost all his imagination and lives for minecraft. He asks me to charge the iPad at night so he can go straight on it in the morning. He gets hugely grumpy when I ask him to come off.

We have tried having a daily quota of 75 minutes. That doesn't work. We set a timer but he just begs for more. When he doesn't get more he storms off. My husband say it's like giving him a quick fix and is not the solution.

He has actually asked me a couple of times to get rid of it but it seems a shame if he could just have some balance.

Should I just delete it once and for all?

MadeFromTools Fri 14-Aug-15 18:36:11

Yes. Or be far more firmer about time allowance.

happymummyone Fri 14-Aug-15 18:38:21

It's mind numbing and turns kids into zombies. Mind you, gaming in general stifles creativity IMO.

DollyMcDolly Fri 14-Aug-15 18:38:34

I think you need a lot of imagination to play Minecraft. I let my son play it as it's so creative and I don't put time limits on either. At first he was on it a lot but over time it cut drastically down. If you put time limits on things then they will crave it. That's my belief anyway.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Fri 14-Aug-15 18:38:37

Minecraft isn't the problem here, it's the relationship you have allowed with it. Be strict. Ignore pleading. Have a set time each day, non-negotiable. It is doable, I promise - though a year ago my AS boy would have refused to agree. Much luck smile

AuntyMag10 Fri 14-Aug-15 18:40:59

75 mins is far too much already. Stop the minecraft and let him earn back time in line with his attitude.

Buttercup27 Fri 14-Aug-15 18:43:38

It depends, personally I wouldn't be able to delete it as I would feel a hypocrite as I spend lots of time on mn or fb blush

CoogerAndDark Fri 14-Aug-15 18:44:18

Stick with the timer. Yes, he will strop off, but with no negotiation from you that will get boring for him pretty quickly.

ouryve Fri 14-Aug-15 18:47:05

75 minutes is not too much!

The issue is the relationship you have with him. DS1's had 3 times as much as that, today, on his computer, but it's been in chunks spread through the day and he's been doing a variety of things related to his hobbies with it. He knows that if he abuses it and doesn't come off when asked to (after plenty of pre-warning) then we'll go back to him having a 1 hour timer on it.

Egosumquisum Fri 14-Aug-15 18:52:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MammaTJ Fri 14-Aug-15 18:52:45

I have similar issues. DS will refuse to go out in the hope of being allowed to play it. He has had one hour this morning and 20 minutes this afternoon. DP has taken him to watch DD do karate tonight just to get him out of the house for a bit!

TenForward82 Fri 14-Aug-15 19:45:10

As a lifelong gamer I feel screen time has it's place. But I agree - be strict, don't put up with stropping off. You let him get away with strops now he'll be worse as teenager.

SnapesCapes Fri 14-Aug-15 19:48:14

DS1 is like this, but I stay strong on the time limit because otherwise he would spend his life staring at Minecraft videos on Youtube and making me listen to Stampy Shatpank's dreadful, soul-destroying laugh.

He hates me for it. But better hating me than being unable to function as a human being.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 14-Aug-15 19:48:37

Its the minecraft you tube things that do my head in.
Just stfu with your crap,and affected voices.

TheFirstOfHerName Fri 14-Aug-15 19:51:44

He is spending 75 minutes a day on Minecraft, not 10 hours a day on CoD or GTA.

He is playing an age-appropriate game in moderation.

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Fri 14-Aug-15 20:03:04

The YouTube clips are what my boys (8&5) are most obsessed with at the moment - yes, they actually prefer watching other people play! Stimpy whatever his name is who keeps killing his dogs is a pain but preferable to Diamond Geezer Minecart and the American one with the beard.

littlejohnnydory Fri 14-Aug-15 20:38:35

It drives me nuts too but I wouldn't delete it. There are so many benefits to it. But I just wish it didn't have this hold over ds that stops him engaging with other things.

I find it more helpful to allow a longer time every few days than a short time each day - allows him to really get into building a complex creation and not have that cut short, which frustrates him. I try to get him out of the house because if we're at home, he pesters for minecraft.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 14-Aug-15 20:43:52

No don't delete it 75 mins is fine, actually not really very long at all in the holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now