Talk

Advanced search

To Be Sad That Glee Is Over?

(45 Posts)
MagicalMrsMistoffelees Fri 14-Aug-15 00:23:03

I know it had its ups and downs and it totally lost its way after the sad death of Cory Monteith. I know it was often preposterous, what with the psychopath Sue Sylvester being allowed to run a school and the constant reappearances of the original New Directions along the corridors and in the auditorium of William McKinley High School. I know that story lines and plots were started and dropped, with no explanation, within the blink of an eye. And I know that dreams don't come true the way they did for all of them, in the end.

But I loved the mixture of singing and comedy and great characters. There, I've said it. Adios Rachel, Kurt, Sam, Blaine, Will, Mercedes et al. And a special goodbye to Principal Figgins, my very favourite. My hands are tied is now a catchphrase in our house.

LadyCuntingtonThe3rd Fri 14-Aug-15 05:08:44

YABU, it's shit and I'm glad it's over.
Now it's only 1D and Taylor Swift left from things that should never exist.

PingpongDingDong Fri 14-Aug-15 07:11:18

We loved it. Felt very emotional watching it last night. The music and comedy in it were superb. Loved Britney and Santana!

PingpongDingDong Fri 14-Aug-15 07:12:21

I also think it's been hugely influential in making LGBT youth feel empowered.

GloGirl Fri 14-Aug-15 07:22:51

I enjoyed the first season or 2, after that it was beyond awful.

spritefairy Fri 14-Aug-15 08:10:45

I used to love it but as the last series carried on I thought it should have finished when they won nationals and they all went off to college. I haven't seen the last two episodes yet (they are recorded and waiting) but I so far haven't enjoyed it.

AlpacaMyBags Fri 14-Aug-15 08:18:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShowMeTheWonder Fri 14-Aug-15 08:28:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Fri 14-Aug-15 09:31:04

In many ways it did need to end because it wasn't living up to its earlier promise and no longer knew where it was going or why. Losing Finn really did skew the whole central plot and the writers totally lost their way after that. Some episodes in recent years have been truly confused but then something gets pulled out the bag to keep me watching.

But I loved the camp, the songs, Sue's tirades (though even Jane Lynch was starting to look bored as she delivered them), the roundabout of love interests, the self-references to its own preposterousness.

(I'm in my thirties too! Not at all comparable to One Direction shock though can't comment on Taylor Swift as I'm not exactly sure who she is!)

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Fri 14-Aug-15 11:52:17

I loved the first season, it was a stand alone story that really didn't need a second season (it was never going to live up to that) but I haven't really stuck with it in the last couple of years (I catch an episode here and there and I'll watch the last episode on catch up) I think following them all to New York wasn't a good storyline and they should have put more effort into the new students.

It really did pave the way for Pitch Perfect though (love that film).

(I'm over 40 sob but have a penchant for the high school genre of films going right back to the breakfast club era)

MrsGentlyBenevolent Fri 14-Aug-15 11:59:10

Agree, first season was brilliant, very different and funny. Unfortunately, at some point (before CM sadly passed), it became preachy and up itself. I barely watched beyond season 3. Even the eternally amazing Jane Lynch couldn't bring me back to it. Thank goodness for Pitch Perfect (watching the second one this weekend, hope it's not a let-down).

Crinkle77 Fri 14-Aug-15 12:00:08

I got fed up in the second series. Might sound daft but too many songs and not enough story line. It was just song after song after song.

Dogsmom Fri 14-Aug-15 12:18:40

I haven't seen the final two episodes yet but I do think they should've ended it earlier, there's been too many new characters come and go and this last series has felt so rushed, they were just grabbing new people from anywhere and not developing their characters.
A lot of the storylines have been cringey too like the coach Beist one, I know there are transgendered people but in the past they've done story lines where she was upset that people didn't find her feminine.

They've taken Sue Sylvester too far, the whole Hurt Locker was ridiculous, she used to be hilarious but it's all so bizarre this season.

In a way I'm glad they ruined it because I won't miss it like I would've a couple of seasons ago.

bruffin Fri 14-Aug-15 12:28:52

I didnt watch it much after the 2nd series, but dd was obsessed and made me watch the final episode with her. I did shed a tear as it was so well done. I was grateful as DD's music tastes widened so much because of Gleegrin as they covered so many genres

I'm in my 50s and like Taylor Swift grin

BooChunky Fri 14-Aug-15 12:30:00

Pitch Perfect 2 is awful...

Reignbeau Fri 14-Aug-15 12:33:37

I had a little weep last night at the last one. I had stopped watching it for a while when they all graduated and Rachel went off to New York etc, although started watching it again in the last season. I must have missed a fair bit, who was the other person on the memorial thing's picture alongside Finn?

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Fri 14-Aug-15 12:57:18

Reignbeau The other person whose picture was next to Finn's was the coach of the Glee club when Will won Nationals back in the nineties. I never understood why we were meant to feel sentimental about her because she was never a proper character in the actual programme.

Dogsmom yes they took Sue too far, ruined her almost. What was the hurt locker about?! Klaine? And when the writers used the incident of Will leaving a clean plastic fork on a table as an excuse for her to declare war on him for the umpteenth time, I realised they really had run out of ideas.

Yes the inconsistencies (eg Bieste; Sam's transformation from football star to bordering on simple; the awful way Santana would speak to people but always be forgiven) meant loads of story lines couldn't be taken seriously. My husband used to remind me that it wasn't a documentary.

Reignbeau Fri 14-Aug-15 17:24:47

Thanks, not surprised I never heard of her then.

PrimalLass Fri 14-Aug-15 18:01:58

Me too. But I haven't watched S6. I know most of S1-S3 off by heart.

NewLife4Me Fri 14-Aug-15 18:05:38

YABU, what utter tripe with talentless thinkabies, that's similar to wannabes but unfortunately they think they are something great. grin

PrimalLass Fri 14-Aug-15 18:08:17

Watch some bits of Spring Awakening on youtube if you are pining too much. It has Lea, Jonathan Groff, Skylar Astin, John Gallagher, Jr. All when they were teens. Sadly there does not seem to be a dvd of the stage show.

Don't watch this with kids in the room, or at work:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpsFg9I2do

PingpongDingDong Fri 14-Aug-15 18:12:30

Talentless? Oh come on!!!

Fauchelevent Fri 14-Aug-15 18:14:44

Has it only just finished? I thought it finished a while back or was that just on US tv?

Honestly as soon as Rachel got into NYADA over Kurt I stopped watching. LOVED season 1/2, then realised the producers had got bored of the show and were more into their other projects, but wanted to milk the cash cow for the last little dregs and there was no real interest in developing characters that weren't Rachel, Quinn and Kurt. That got boring quickly so I'm really glad it's over.

I did love the show when it was at its peak, and the very first Don't Stop Believing brings a tear to my eye.

Fauchelevent Fri 14-Aug-15 18:17:40

Also to call the actors talentless is misguided - Lea Michele's been on broadway since childhood, Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenoweth were also major parts of the early seasons, Amber Riley is phenomenal (listen to her cover of Aint No Way) and so is Kevin McHale and quite a few others. The productions of the songs and the storylines may have been abominable at times (Rolling in the deep is UNLISTENABLE and the whitney tribute was 90% appalling) but "talentless" is usually said by people who don't know much about the show or the actors ;)

PingpongDingDong Fri 14-Aug-15 18:23:32

I loved nearly all the musical arrangements but anyway I agree that calling the performers talentless is silly. I don't enjoy watching rugby but I don't call rugby players talentless because rugby is not to my taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now