Talk

Advanced search

To get this annoyed over chocolate?

(41 Posts)
LondonBetti Thu 13-Aug-15 19:07:56

I am about two months into a healthy life attempt - strict low carbing, exercising etc - trying to loose baby weight (a few stone!) and just feel fitter and better about myself. Also I've a big event next month and am about a half stone off my gorgeous dress fitting properly!

DH just arrived back from a business trip with 6 (yes 6!) massive bars of (really nice) chocolate as a present for me. I think it's inconsiderate and unsupportive, why spend £30+ on chocolate? He thinks I'm never happy confused

What do you think?

Sirzy Thu 13-Aug-15 19:11:18

I think enjoy it, have a little bit every couple of days and make it last.

Part of healthy eating is realising that everything is fine in moderation.

AuntyMag10 Thu 13-Aug-15 19:12:28

I would think ywbu to make a big deal of it. Have a few pieces in moderation. Assuming you don't eat 6 slabs in one go I don't think he did anything wrong.

happymummyone Thu 13-Aug-15 19:13:07

It'll last in the cupboard until you fit into your dress and then just have a little at a time. A bit of chocolate won't set you back, but it would if you ate all six bars in one go probably! Just say thanks

Mindexplode Thu 13-Aug-15 19:13:08

check the sell by date

put it away and enjoy slowly after your big event, just a couple of chunks at a time

DirtyMugPolice Thu 13-Aug-15 19:13:56

You don't have to eat it, do you?

LondonBetti Thu 13-Aug-15 19:18:01

I don't have to eat it but I can hear it softly calling from the cupboard grin

Damn, this is going to be a unanimous bu I think ...

YerTiz Thu 13-Aug-15 19:22:42

It does seem a bit thoughtless, but perhaps he thinks you deserve a treat (or six) after all your hard work.

It's so hard to resist when you know it's there isn't it!

TheVeryHungryPreggo Thu 13-Aug-15 19:24:47

Hide it in the back of the freezer. It'll keep and you won't have to see it as often as if it was in the cupboard - and if you forget it's there it'll still be good to eat by the time you remember (though the paper may get soggy)!

VivaLeBeaver Thu 13-Aug-15 19:29:58

OP, I'm siding with you.

Dh does this. last trip I got a giant bar of Toblerone and a box of Lindt chocs and he knew I was dieting. I can't store chocolate in the cupboard, I stuff it down my face. Hence my arse is the size it is.

It's thoughtless and unimaginative. he could have bought perfume instead. Actually he could have got me nothing! I love Molton brown and that's for sale in all airports. He knows I live it so wouldn't have taken much for him to buy me shower gel instead.

I know I sound like an ungrateful cow and I never said any of this to him.....just thought it!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pigsDOfly Thu 13-Aug-15 19:36:26

No not unanimous Betti. I wouldn't be happy either if my DH bought me a huge amount of chocolate when he knew I was trying hard to lose weight.

For a lot of people, it's not as simple as having a few bits now and then.

It's thoughtless of him. There are plenty of other lovely things he could have brought you back if he had put a bit more thought into it.

Hiding it in the freezer as pp said is a good idea. That way not only will it keep but it'll be too hard to bite into if you feel tempted.

squoosh Thu 13-Aug-15 19:44:09

If he bought it forgetting you're on a diet it's no big deal. If you suspect he's trying to sabotage your diet that's different.

Which do you suspect?

Wibblewobble100 Thu 13-Aug-15 19:44:34

It depends on the person... I suspect that you are like me. I am three days into a healthy eating attempt and just reading your post makes me feel panicky. There is no way I could resist and would have eaten the whole lot this weekend. Your husband should probably know if that's the case and so YANBU.

VashtaNerada Thu 13-Aug-15 19:48:28

YANBU. It is incredibly hard to eat healthily for some people and putting temptation in your way is just cruel, like buying someone cigarettes when you know they've stopped (not exactly the same before I get flamed but similarly inconsiderate).

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 13-Aug-15 19:51:47

If he knows you're on a diet then I'd be wondering if he wants to sabotage it for some reason?

ThoseAwfulCurtains Thu 13-Aug-15 19:53:42

YANBU. How lazy and thoughtless of him.

PurpleDaisies Thu 13-Aug-15 19:59:44

Yanbu. Assuming your husband knows you are on a diet. One bar as a treat maybe, but six large bars? He probably thought he was being nice but he definitely isn't being supportive.

I don't do well with temptation at all (if I know there are crisps in the house I will hunt them down and eat them so I go to the shop and buy them one packet at a time if I want them). A couple of chunks of chocolate would never happen for me-the whole lot would go. You might have more willpower than I do!

FithColumnist Thu 13-Aug-15 20:04:44

YANBU. What a bastard. This is controlling, entitled behaviour. LTB.

FinallyHere Thu 13-Aug-15 20:13:09

Not great but you can turn it to your advantage. Stare down that chocolate and don't be the first to blink. It will make you feel a amazingly powerful as it goes past its sell by date, use by date and ultimately gets thrown out.

You will feel great, it will reinforce your choices around eating healthily and he may not make that mistake again.

All you need to doing is not eat the chocolate. You can do this and get all these benefits. Enjoy. xx

TravellingToad Thu 13-Aug-15 20:15:07

I'd be really cross tbh

DarkHeart Thu 13-Aug-15 21:11:13

YANBU, this would drive me mad. I think it was very thoughtless.

LondonBetti Thu 13-Aug-15 21:48:02

Fith can't LTB as he might claim the chocolate.

Thanks all for the comments - I know that in the big scheme of things it is very trivial but still annoying. Last week he is telling me that I'm too fat for a dress and this week is buying me enough chocolate to feed a small village!

Will take comfort from your understanding and not from the chocolate grin

ReginaFelangi Thu 13-Aug-15 23:13:04

If it's over 80% cocoa you can consider it low carb. wink

Mermaidhair Thu 13-Aug-15 23:29:55

It was done deliberately as you are dieting and he wanted to sabotage your efforts. LTB

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now