Talk

Advanced search

To not cut dd's fringe

(15 Posts)
Iloveonionchutney Thu 13-Aug-15 17:06:59

She is almost 5, had had a fringe for a while and is always complaining about it and pushing it to the side, so dh and myself decided over the holidays to let it start growing out. We put a clip in to keep it out of her eyes but sometimes she pulls the clip out herself and so its left looking scruffy.
This weekend we are going to a family party and all I'm hearing from my dps is how they 'hope her fringe is cut so she looks tidy in front of everyone'. It's at least once a day my dm is on the phone and brings it up and it's constant when we see them, for the whole of the holidays, they know what we are doing but still insist that it needs sorting out!
I'm sick to the back teeth of them treating her like a show dog on display.

NobodyLivesHere Thu 13-Aug-15 17:12:56

Tell them to mtob and tell them directly to stop talking about it.

tethersend Thu 13-Aug-15 17:13:16

Could you French plait it to one side? Or give her an Alice band?

At the end of the day, if she hates it, I'd grow it out. However, if it becomes more of a pain growing it out (in her eyes, annoying her) then cut it back in.

Neither option should be guided by how your family feels grin

Blueberrybaby Thu 13-Aug-15 17:16:27

Grow it out. It will take a while. I tend to scoop it into a side half pony tail to keep it under control. Tell them to mind their own business and if anyone asks just say you are growing it out, end of discussion.

I got a lot of hassle from people for not cutting in a fringe to begin with. I was adamant I didn't want DD to have one so we started with clips and hair bands quite young. It's stopped now it's the right length! You will get there.

CasualJersey Thu 13-Aug-15 17:18:27

Why do parents think they can go in so much about things of this nature.it makes me irate which I appreviate is an overreaction but still...
Certainly tell the to MTOB

Iloveonionchutney Thu 13-Aug-15 17:29:32

She looks lovely with clips in, won't keep a hairband at all. It downstairs help that I'm clueless with hairstyles, will watch a few YouTube clips for ideas I think.
With my parents it doesn't matter how many times i tell them it falls on deaf ears. They're pouting today as I've said they've got to stop giving her everything she wants all the time as its me and her dad suffering the consequences of them spoiling her!

EatDessertFirst Thu 13-Aug-15 17:37:33

all I'm hearing from my dps is how they hope her fringe is cut so she looks tidy in front of everyone

^^just for this alone I wouldn't get it cut. But I'm not adverse to being contrary for the sake of it grin.

Growing out a fringe is a nightmare. It took two years for our DDs fringe to grow out to the length she wanted it. Definately YouTube different styles. Its suprising what you can do with a mid-length fringe to keep it out of eyes. Little plaits, different ways of clipping etc.

squoosh Thu 13-Aug-15 17:39:42

I'm feeling your daughter's pain. I'm growing a fringe out at the moment and also pinning it back.

Why would people care if a 5 year old attending a family party had slightly messy hair?!

LL0015 Thu 13-Aug-15 17:48:04

Watch cutegirlshairstyles on YouTube or their website.

I plaited DD fringe out of the way and bobble the end of the fringe else it slips out. Have been doing it TWO years. Mind the rest of her hair is near her bum so we're halfway there.
Tough. And take the pain now. It's painful whenever you do it so if you've got this far....... Keep going.

tethersend Thu 13-Aug-15 17:49:56

Could you do something like this?

haveabreakhaveakitkat Thu 13-Aug-15 18:11:03

The little claw clips are great and harder for them to pull out. Make the fringe into a twist and clip one or two in. They do mini ones in Claire's.

Iloveonionchutney Thu 13-Aug-15 18:40:21

I think I'll have a trip to Claire's tomorrow to pick some things out with her, I'll have a look at those videos too. Thanks for all your suggestions!

girliefriend Thu 13-Aug-15 18:45:06

fringes seem to be something some parents have a bit of a 'thing' about ime!

My dd had a fringe for a bit but I found it a complete pita to keep getting trimmed so grew it out, my dds hair grows to the side anyway so it wasn't too bad and was easily clipped.

I have a friend who is adamant her 3yo dd will not have a fringe despite the fact that her dds hair is constantly in her eyes confused

molyholy Thu 13-Aug-15 18:48:07

When dd was growing out her fringe the clips were forever falling out leaving her fringe hanging all over her face. I used to put her fringe in a bobble and clip the hair in the bobble back. It stayed in all day no probs and looked fine. As it happened she decided she wanted her fringe cut back in because she thought she looked cuter with a fringe. Her words, not mine grin

LL0015 Thu 13-Aug-15 20:31:19

Though I've grown dd fringe out, she has a very low hairline and simply suits a fringe. I've always had one. Bet as soon as it reaches the rest, she'll cut it back in grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now