Talk

Advanced search

United Utilities - problems with water

(8 Posts)
Didntseethiscominghelpplease Thu 13-Aug-15 08:21:51

Morning! I live in an area currently affected by problems with the water. The issue has been ongoing for about a week now. United Utilities have made it clear that we shouldn't ingest the tap water but that if we boil it then it is fine to drink when cooled. I'm following updates via their Twitter account and frankly I'm appalled at the comments from some people. All the public seem to want is "compensation", when actually we have running water we are just being told to be cautious and boil it. AIBU to think some people need to realise how fortunate we are to a) have running water that just needs boiling and b) have a utilities company who are trying to ensure they do not poison anyone by looking closely at what the problem is? All this talk of compensation is ridiculous. Even buying bottled water isn't exactly costly with 5 l bottles costing around £1.20. What infuriates me more when reading the comments is when people are moaning about being out of pocket for buying bottled water, even though it is clear they don't need to, but are then moaning because they want a pint of water to cure a hangover. Do they not see the irony that they have willing purchased drinks that have made them feel ill yet live in a country with pretty good access to running water for a reasonable amount of money.Grrr. angry

Verbena37 Thu 13-Aug-15 15:16:24

They're being a bit OTT yes.
I had crypto earlier this year (in a different area than current outbreak) but there are so many ways to catch it, you'd never know unless there was a wider outbreak as in Yorkshire.

Our water company came straight out and checked our water for my peace of mind but I think it's more likely that I caught it from a cafe or restaurant or even in the holiday swimming pool we went to a couple of weeks before I had symptoms.

Awful awful illness though, wouldn't wish it on anyone!

LivinLaVidaLoki Thu 13-Aug-15 15:56:05

I do think it is petty asking for compensation (I live in this area too), but to be honest, when you are having to keep boiling bloody water you do realise that this may incur an increased cost in your energy bills, which some people struggle to pay as it is.
Again, not saying I agree but I can kind of see where they are coming from.

Didntseethiscominghelpplease Thu 13-Aug-15 15:58:42

Don't get me wrong it is probably a horrible thing to get. What amazes me is that people are suggesting they are "really ill" but rather than going to the GP they are checking out what compensation they can get. i would love to know just how much water they normally drink. I drink loads but haven't felt inconvenienced once in having to add bottled water to my shopping. I certainly do not expect compensation. It just strikes me as pathetic. I dread to think what would these people do if they had real problems? If you do want an eye opener @UnitedUtiliies is the place. They must be so frustrated at some of the questions?

paddyclampo Thu 13-Aug-15 16:38:14

I think the compensation is for the inconvenience / cost of boiling the water rather than for being ill. I didn't think anyone had actually got the illness, but the traces of crypto were found during routine checks?

LivinLaVidaLoki Thu 13-Aug-15 16:49:30

That's what I thought Paddy

paddyclampo Fri 14-Aug-15 16:24:28

It's becoming annoying now, especially the teeth brushing and washing food!

SoMauve Fri 14-Aug-15 16:30:34

they were giving out free bottled water at a nearby Childrens' Centre. Only to people with DC though. So they obvs have little hope of sorting it any quicker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now