Talk

Advanced search

To not call the HV back?

(76 Posts)
Lovemcgarrett Wed 12-Aug-15 21:49:59

After a couple of accidents and a couple of broken bones in the last fortnight, the HV has called for "a chat". This is the same HV who I made it very clear a couple of years ago after her "helpful comments" that I didn't want to see again.
Do I have to call her back? Any implications of I don't? They were genuine accidents to a very accident prone child (I know it sounds a lot!) but this HV is awful (she told me to shut my daughter in her room and just let her cry rather than cosleep as she was 4).

Asleeponasunbeam Wed 12-Aug-15 21:51:44

You probably ought to just phone, to explain the unfortunate accidents.

Asleeponasunbeam Wed 12-Aug-15 21:52:15

Hope the DC is okay now.

littleducks Wed 12-Aug-15 21:53:40

Prob best to phone. chances are you will just leave a message anyway

Anniesaunt Wed 12-Aug-15 21:55:08

I understand why you don't like her but I think under the circumstances you need to call back or it will look bad. Phone, explain what happened and get it over with.

PuntasticUsername Wed 12-Aug-15 22:03:31

Could you ask to talk to a different HV?

Hezaire Wed 12-Aug-15 22:03:44

I saw hv the other day.
She said if kids ever break a bone they are obliged to call.

Hezaire Wed 12-Aug-15 22:04:37

A legal thing??

Or a health visitor rule at least. Child protection and all that. I hate the hv visits but for an easy life put up with the call

BarbarianMum Wed 12-Aug-15 22:07:24

You should phone - if only to ask to see a different HV . If you don't it will raise a red flag.

Lovemcgarrett Wed 12-Aug-15 22:08:16

Thanks, might leave a message out of hours. The woman tried turning up a few times after I asked her not to call again. I have requested another in the past but requests were ignored. I understand there is a protocol and it is there for a reason but this woman just winds me up and is a true clash of personalities!

Pseudonym99 Wed 12-Aug-15 22:08:31

Refuse to speak to them just to wind them up. Get them to take a court order out to come and visit you. And then explain to them the accidental nature of the injuries before telling them to fuck off.

Purplepoodle Wed 12-Aug-15 22:09:14

could you go and see your gp instead and have a chat with them?

Muchtoomuchtodo Wed 12-Aug-15 22:09:23

Just phone and explain. You don't need to accept any visits.

Hope your LO is alright

Anniesaunt Wed 12-Aug-15 22:10:30

That sounds like a very stressful and long winded way to prove a point pseudo.

Purplepoodle Wed 12-Aug-15 22:10:32

"Refuse to speak to them just to wind them up. Get them to take a court order out to come and visit you. And then explain to them the accidental nature of the injuries before telling them to fuck off."

useful way to waste nhs money rather than a simple phonecall

UrethraFranklin1 Wed 12-Aug-15 22:11:03

Refuse to speak to them just to wind them up. Get them to take a court order out to come and visit you. And then explain to them the accidental nature of the injuries before telling them to fuck off.

Oh great advice. Waste huge amounts of everyones time and public money just to get your own back because you dont like one person. hmm And it won't at all make you look like a total loon who warrants even more involvement from social services etc.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Wed 12-Aug-15 22:11:52

If someone doesn't call me back I will try once again. If still no response we have to follow a no access policy if there are no other concerns which involves just informing the team leader and filling out a form. Only if it was a family we had concerns about or were receiving enhanced service would we need to escalate. It's just policy to see how your child is.

DurhamDurham Wed 12-Aug-15 22:12:35

I'd ring as it will just escalate if you don't and will make things much more stressful for both of you than it needs to be. One phone call, job done.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Wed 12-Aug-15 22:13:15

Pseudonym why would it wind them up? Trust me there are plenty of other things to follow up on!

Duckstar Wed 12-Aug-15 22:16:14

Absolutely standard procedure round here for any A and E admission to be followed up
by HV. With good reason. Many of the recent fatal child abuse cases have highlighted lack of co-operation between agencies.

If you don't call back it will raise flags. Do you have well baby clinics/a duty number? You don't need to speak to specify HV just one of the team. My DS2 was recently in hospital for breathing difficulties. Got a call from HV (who is lovely), but I was passing local clinic and just dropped in and talked to a HV there and said could they let x know that I'd been in.

Duckstar Wed 12-Aug-15 22:17:11

specific

Lovemcgarrett Wed 12-Aug-15 22:26:37

Thanks Sharon and everyone. DC is 4. We have a follow up with hospital. Bit the bullet and left a message saying thanks for concern but he is ok, has a follow up at hospital and no need for a visit.

Penfold007 Wed 12-Aug-15 22:33:15

OP sorry but two accidents and two broken bones I'd be visiting to cover my back.

jaffacake2 Wed 12-Aug-15 22:44:12

Health visitors work under safeguarding policies not just trying to wind you up. In UK if a child attends a&e a health visitor will be notified. Most cases are accidental injuries but sadly some are not.I think that those vulnerable children deserve to be protected and health visitors are part of that team.

DurhamDurham Wed 12-Aug-15 22:48:11

A message is a good first step but the HV may need to speak to you so I wouldn't consider all done and dusted just yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now