Talk

Advanced search

Woman on train

(262 Posts)
holidaysareoverated Wed 12-Aug-15 20:57:18

DH and I took our toddler on the train today. The train wasn't super busy but there were no free seats so we walked to the next carriage. A woman and her teenage daughter were sitting at a table for four. So we approached and asked them to move over so that we could sit in the two free seats.
The woman started sighing and eye rolling at her daughter as though we were being complete pains in the arse. I told her that she was rude and entitled and asked if she expected the train to herself. Her daughter then started saying " she only sighed, she is allowed to sigh". The woman herself remained silent and then said exasperatedly "there's so much space!", which there was in the aisles. There were no other free seats at all.
AIBU to have fantasised about spilling my coffee all over them? I can't believe she thought a pregnant woman with a toddler should stand up so that she and her daughter could have a table for four to themselves!

YUDOTHIS Wed 12-Aug-15 20:59:19

You should've sat elsewhere IMO since their were spaces free. she didn't expect you to stand, pregnant or not, go and sit elsewhere..

FenellaFellorick Wed 12-Aug-15 21:01:05

if there were free seats, aisle seats, why would you have to stand?

DoreenLethal Wed 12-Aug-15 21:01:54

There were no other free seats at all

Ahem.

The 'space' was standing.

PLUtoPlanet Wed 12-Aug-15 21:02:30

YUDO, I think the "space" talked about was standing room, "in the aisles. There were no other free seats at all."

balletgirlmum Wed 12-Aug-15 21:02:38

The OP said there were no seats, just space to stand in the aisle.

LunchpackOfNotreDame Wed 12-Aug-15 21:03:06

I read there were no seats, standing room only

Yanbu

FenellaFellorick Wed 12-Aug-15 21:03:13

ah! I see grin I thought she meant aisle seats

yanbu. There's no way you should have to stand when there were two seats not being used.

SunshineAndShadows Wed 12-Aug-15 21:04:05

Bloody hell read the OP before you pile in!

VerityWaves Wed 12-Aug-15 21:04:38

I think you were rude to ask them to move up then comment when the woman sighed.
You had your seat they moved for you and your son why did you have to make a big deal? You sound like a bit of a drama queen.

mindthegap79 Wed 12-Aug-15 21:05:34

YWNBU to sit in the empty seats, but I think YWBU to call her entitled etc. She was being entitled, but I think you probably antagonised things and made it worse.

msgrinch Wed 12-Aug-15 21:06:36

What verity said.

RoboticSealpup Wed 12-Aug-15 21:06:47

They were horribly rude.

holidaysareoverated Wed 12-Aug-15 21:06:49

These were the only free seats in that carriage. We had already walked from another carriage looking for seats. There probably were lots of free seats when the woman got on but we got in at the last stop before final destination so the train had filled up.
The aisles and doorways were entirely clear but standing room only.

FenellaFellorick Wed 12-Aug-15 21:07:31

I didn't pile in! I wasn't rude, didn't say she was being unreasonable. I thought she meant aisle seats and was saying there were no other free seats (apart from the aisle ones) and asked a question.

Totality22 Wed 12-Aug-15 21:08:37

YANBU for wanting a seat and indeed asking them to move.

Your rude and entitled comment would have had me sighing though and knowing without a shadow of a doubt you were a MN'ER. I thought people only 'spoke' like that on here!!!!

EmmaU123 Wed 12-Aug-15 21:08:51

Oh god, you're one of THOSE people! Look, some people do not like strangers invading their personal space, I'm one of them, and if I don't want somebody i don't know sitting next to me then they won't, end of. Stop being a bloody drama queen.

QuizteamBleakley Wed 12-Aug-15 21:10:37

I'm a fucker for an inadvertent eyeroll Did they move? If they did, then why did you have to say anything? Eyeroll back, sit down, choo choo.

TTTatty Wed 12-Aug-15 21:10:48

Did you sit in the free seats or ask them to move over so you could sit where they were sitting? Second scenario not okay imo.
I like an aisle seat and would not move over to the window to give you that seat. I would, however, stand up so you could sit in the available seat next to the window. The free seats are exactly that and not for you to move people to for your convenience.

JackSkellington Wed 12-Aug-15 21:11:29

YANBU for asking them to move so you could sit. YABU and incredibly rude for speaking to her in the way you did, after that I wouldn't blame her for not wanting to sit anywhere near you to be honest.

VodkaValiumLattePlease Wed 12-Aug-15 21:14:47

Emma don't be so rude, if you travel on public transportation you can't have two seats to yourself!

DoreenLethal Wed 12-Aug-15 21:14:53

Oh god, you're one of THOSE people! Look, some people do not like strangers invading their personal space, I'm one of them, and if I don't want somebody i don't know sitting next to me then they won't, end of.

It is a public train not a private one!

holidaysareoverated Wed 12-Aug-15 21:14:53

I don't see how I was wrong to have asked them to move? I asked politely. One was sat by the window and one in the aisle diagonally across, only one of them had to move over and I was met with loud sighing and eye rolling. She then made me get up and switch seats with her daughter after we had all sat down. It was only at this point that I called her rude and entitled as she huffed and puffed as though I struggled to get up and move again.

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 12-Aug-15 21:14:53

LTB grin

Stylingwax Wed 12-Aug-15 21:16:17

I think you were rude. Did you really have to pick a fight? Just sit down and let your toddler irritate them - I've done that several times to eye rollers, and it makes me feel much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now