Talk

Advanced search

Disgusted at the amount of people jealous of tube drivers pay

(314 Posts)
Itsawd Wed 12-Aug-15 18:35:38

They do a job dealing with the public, unsociable hours and god knows what when they get a jumper. We should congratulate them on doing well, not look at them with green eyes.

Its a free market so if anyone wants a job as one they are welcome to apply!

HoneyDragon Wed 12-Aug-15 18:36:51

Yeah, all the nurses should sign up for starters.

TheFlis12345 Wed 12-Aug-15 18:39:49

If they advertised the jobs publicy rather than only allowing existing union members to apply, I'm sure more people would try!

Orangeisthenewbanana Wed 12-Aug-15 18:40:03

biscuit

IAmAShitHotLawyer Wed 12-Aug-15 18:41:26

Where can I apply please?

IAmAShitHotLawyer Wed 12-Aug-15 18:42:48

I am VERY old indeed, I have lived in London all my life, and I have NEVER seen a tube drivers job advertised.

If I did, i'd apply, it sounds like a great job.

spanieleyes Wed 12-Aug-15 18:43:16

A driver's starting salary - which follows about six months of training - is £49,673, according to Transport for London (TfL).They typically work a 36-hour week and get 43 days of leave every year, including bank holidays. Six of the days off are compensation for working 36, rather than 35, hours a week throughout the year.
Rather more than a nurse who also deals with the public, works unsociable hours and deals with death everyday. They are not exactly hard done by!!

lighteningirl Wed 12-Aug-15 18:43:57

Well that's the problem right there it's not a Free market it's a closed shop

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Wed 12-Aug-15 18:44:57

Its a free market so if anyone wants a job as one they are welcome to apply!

This is not entirely true, is it?

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 12-Aug-15 18:44:57

Nurses should definitely be paid more rather than tube drivers getting less

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Wed 12-Aug-15 18:45:20

Also, they do not deal with the public at all.

DisappointedOne Wed 12-Aug-15 18:45:50

Nowhere near as simple as that.

Glitteryarse Wed 12-Aug-15 18:46:20

shock at the starting salary !

Mimigolightly Wed 12-Aug-15 18:46:36

If I could get a job as a tube driver, I'd sign up tomorrow. As pp say though, it's a closed shop.

DisappointedOne Wed 12-Aug-15 18:46:40

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/06/tube-strike-faq-myths-busted-and-questions-answered

DisappointedOne Wed 12-Aug-15 18:47:53

You have to work for YEARS on crappy money on the stations/CS role before you can even hope to become a driver.

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Wed 12-Aug-15 18:48:17

Don't nurses have to work unsociable hours, DisappointedOne?

AyeAmarok Wed 12-Aug-15 18:50:07

Oh FFS, here we go again.

Cue all the "WAAAAAH nurses/teachers/whatever only get paid 20k and its so unfair" comments.

nagynolonger Wed 12-Aug-15 18:50:34

How do people get jobs as tube drivers?

Meloria Wed 12-Aug-15 18:50:54

I'm interested to know how they deal with the public when they're locked in a cab all day.

spangledboots Wed 12-Aug-15 18:53:15

it sounds like a pretty monotonous job even if the benefits are good...I'm not jealous!

HoneyDragon Wed 12-Aug-15 18:53:37

It's a good comparison as someone inevitably States how essential tube drivers are, so you therefore compare other essential members of the work force.

It's quite pertinent to the many discussions. Although WAAAAH! Is obviously helpful too.

Andthenutlookedgood Wed 12-Aug-15 18:58:48

I'm not disgusted. I don't dispute that the tube drivers' job is probably more difficult than it seems to the casual observer but it is not demonstrably more difficult than very many jobs which pay half as much with much less leave.

I think the unique reason the underground staff have good pay and conditions is their powerful unions and effective strikes. I'm not saying that a powerful union is a bad thing at all but doctors and nurses can't strike in the same way and other workers have no right to strike at all.

I read this week that not a single tube driver job has been advertised to the general public in over seven years.

Tube drivers have to admit that they are well paid, with good leave and a reasonably short working week.

I am of the school that thinks other workers pay and conditions should come up to the standard of tube drivers.

RonaldosAbs Wed 12-Aug-15 18:59:23

Why are you disgusted? It's a perfectly fine job with an excellent salary, most people would be someone jealous of that. There is nothing wrong with working with the public either hmm, I don't know why you say that like it's a bad thing.

You can also be a little jealous of somebody whilst knowing they do a good job. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Iggly Wed 12-Aug-15 19:00:51

So should we all be paid low salaries including tube drivers?

Why aren't people looking at ceo jobs and thinking £300k for telling other people what to do and even if you make a mistake you still get a bonus?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now