Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to be upset that dc and dh don't appreciate my cooking ?

(69 Posts)
Shiraznowplease Wed 12-Aug-15 17:40:50

I don't know if I am being really unreasonable but I normally spend hours cooking for my family (mainly to hid loads of vegetables). I couldn't be bothered today so bought a jar of Lloyd grossman sauce to make slag bol and all three loved it and have just scoffed it whereas the one I normally make with grated carrots, peppers, courgette, onions, tomatoes and fresh herbs often goes untouched ? Just feel like why do I bother ?

Shiraznowplease Wed 12-Aug-15 17:41:17

Oops should be spag Bol

woowoo22 Wed 12-Aug-15 17:42:20

Hmm

That's annoying, can they tell the difference or did you tell them?

WorraLiberty Wed 12-Aug-15 17:43:23

Just make a sauce that they will like then.

If your one often goes untouched, then they clearly don't like that particular recipe.

Shiraznowplease Wed 12-Aug-15 17:46:02

No they can tell the difference sad

googoodolly Wed 12-Aug-15 17:47:45

Why do you keep making things they don't like? I don't really see the point in slaving for ours over meals myself.

Artandco Wed 12-Aug-15 17:48:05

Feed them later than 5pm. By 7pm they will Be much hungrier and appreciate anything!

TheFlis12345 Wed 12-Aug-15 17:48:09

You spend ages cooking for your DH and he doesn't touch it?

Shiraznowplease Wed 12-Aug-15 17:48:35

I know you are right worra, it's just I really struggle to get them to eat healthily. I am beginning to think my mum is right with the whole 'you work, if waitrose do it why bother doing it yourself' point of view

Notgrumpyjustquiet Wed 12-Aug-15 17:49:00

I wouldn't go to a ton of trouble if they didn't like it or didn't appreciate it. Just compounds the issue. I've learned that the hard way. You'll just get more and more pissed off with them about it. Pick your battles. wine

Mrsjayy Wed 12-Aug-15 17:49:09

Thats a shame id be fuming too id just buy lloyd grossman from now on although its full of sugar

iisme Wed 12-Aug-15 17:49:14

If no one can tell the difference, you're lucky. My kids (not DH!) actively reject anything homemade. It's very frustrating.

Spartans Wed 12-Aug-15 17:51:09

Yabu to say they don't appreciate your cooking because they preferred the ready made sauce. It's not their fault.

Either they just don't like the recipe you do or the fact that the ready made ones are sweeter makes it more palatable.

Personally when I make pasta sauce from scratch if it's not quite sweet enough I put a bit of ketchup in the kids at the end

Mrsjayy Wed 12-Aug-15 17:52:10

If i cooked and they continuly (sp) didnt eat it i wouldnt cook

trollkonor Wed 12-Aug-15 17:54:19

Probably all the sugar in the jar smile

I'd experiment with different recipes. I love courgette but not sure that everything grated like that would feel me with joy, something about the texture. Courgettes can be a bit watery in a sauce.

My bulk standard tomato sauce is onion softened then garlic added.
Couple of tins of tomato.
Sliced Peppers
Glug of balsamic vinegar.
Loads of herbs.
Half to one tea spoon of brown sugar. Not a fully loaded spoon.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Extra water if required.
Let it simmer for long long time. Then blitz until smooth.

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Wed 12-Aug-15 17:54:24

Well if you know they don't like it then why waste time, effort and money?

Is the issue that otherwise none of them eat any vegetables? Tbh I wouldn't like courgettes and peppers in my bolognese, but I would eat a big salad with it, or not have pasta and use shredded cabbage and leeks instead.

What veg will they eat?

Morganly Wed 12-Aug-15 17:55:53

YANBU, how irritating. Your children might develop more sophisticated taste buds as they grow up but your H is clearly a lost cause. How about try the bought sauce but throw in some extra veg?

minilegofigure Wed 12-Aug-15 17:56:46

Jars are full of salt and preservatives so you are being good to them cooking healthily. I work too and get stressed when I feel Im doing so much for my family and they don't appreciate my efforts. How about a compromise? . Your healthy cooking 4 days and convenient food 3 days.
If you give yourself a break you might feel more in the mood to try different recipes they do like. BBC food have loads of easy recipes and can I recommend katielovescooking for healthy quick family suppers.

Mrsjayy Wed 12-Aug-15 17:57:26

I tried the hidden veg thing when mine were young they didnt eat it either

TooMuchRain Wed 12-Aug-15 18:01:22

I like some veg pasta recipes but I wouldn't fancy spag bol with hidden veg so maybe that was the difference if the jar was a plain one? Along with the sugar probably - I add a bit of sugar to tomato based pasta sauces if they need it, at the moment the tomatoes are pretty good but can be a little tart in winter months. Frustrating for you though.

GreenSkittles Wed 12-Aug-15 18:01:37

Don't worry. They were probably enjoying the salt/sugar in the processed one.

Kewcumber Wed 12-Aug-15 18:05:12

If you're going to hide veg in spag bol then you have to cook the shit out of it so the veg disappears. or do what I do and add frozen mashed carrots and swede (Aunt BEssies!)and very finely chopped onions well cooked so they too are soft.

Courgettes are horrible in bolognese sauce. (Sorry!)

And I don;t add herbs (or very very mild ones)

Failing all that blend the vegs and tomato sauce before you add the mince.

Kewcumber Wed 12-Aug-15 18:06:38

Or buy a sauce that isn;t full of crap - there are plenty around.

Frankly even using a base of passata, tiny (blened) fried onions and a handful of mashed carrots/swedes should add enough veg shouldn;t it and approximates a bought sauce mix in texture.

reallybadidea Wed 12-Aug-15 18:09:27

Bolognese sauce is much nicer if you simmer it down for ages to concentrate the flavours. Needs to be well seasoned too.

reallybadidea Wed 12-Aug-15 18:10:18

Arf at 'slag bol'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now