Talk

Advanced search

to think there's nothing wrong with hoops on buttered toast for lunch?

(285 Posts)
OstentatiousBreastfeeder Wed 12-Aug-15 13:27:38

It's not great, wholesome nutritious food is it. But it's nice, and comforting, and the weather's shit outside and they like it! And it's hardly a bucket of KFC.

Well, DH disagrees, and has just had a huff at me on the phone because I'm 'feeding the children crap all the time' hmm

He's been on a health kick for the past month - homemade raw muesli for breakfast, the works. This has prompted a few discussions about the family's eating habits as a whole recently and he feels we could all do better. I agreed, and we've been reigning in the sugar, adding more veg etc.

But apparently these devil-hoops and the shepherd's pie I made for dinner last night are just a couple of examples of how I'm not really listening to his concerns. I don't really understand how a plate of homemade shepherd's pie and a pile of fresh veg doesn't constitute as at the very least wholesome food, but maybe I'm dead wrong.

So AIBU in thinking a can of spaghetti hoops on some buttered toast is the food of Gods?, along with a varied and healthy diet (aside from the plainly unhealthy shepherd's pie confused), is perfectly fine, and that he needs to unbunch his Y-fronts?

WhatWouldBlairWaldorfDo Wed 12-Aug-15 13:31:34

Yanbu its not like you gave them crack! Ok its not the fanciest meal ever but its perfectly fine! (Though you should have a fried egg with it....tis the law in this house smile )

5Foot5 Wed 12-Aug-15 13:31:51

YANBU. Haven't had hoops for years but I used to like them and DD certainly had things like that occasionally when she was young and has grown up perfectly slim and healthy.

And shepherd's pie is one of my favourite things. What on earth has he got against that? What does he suggest you eat instead and is he prepared to do the menu planning, shopping and his share of persuading the kids that this is what they really want to eat?

Catswiththumbs Wed 12-Aug-15 13:32:18

Well it's what I was brought up on for lunch when we had lunch but it's hardly nutritious. Depends on the food for the rest of the day?
Scrambled eggs or beans would be better.

TriJo Wed 12-Aug-15 13:32:43

For me at this point in time it's one of the few things that I know would go down without too many complaints!

For kids, as long as they are getting a varied diet in general I don't see the problem.

Reignbeau Wed 12-Aug-15 13:33:06

YANBU at all. My DD likes the cartoon pasta shapes, I think it's a fine lunch every now and again. Nothing wrong with home made shepherds pie either. Your husband is being an arse.

WhatWouldBlairWaldorfDo Wed 12-Aug-15 13:33:26

Although if hes that offended by hoops on toast, maybe he should spend a day prepping the entire family meals (inc lunches) for a week. Then he doesnt have to worry.......

insanityscatching Wed 12-Aug-15 13:35:16

Apparently they count as one of your five a day here

Lima1 Wed 12-Aug-15 13:35:28

The crèche/playschool my 3 go to serve this for lunch maybe once a week. I HATE when I see it on the menu, it's a lazy lunch. Even beans on toast would be better, and whole grain toast at that. Yes it tastes nice but it's rubbish food.

ilovesooty Wed 12-Aug-15 13:35:51

Nothing wrong with it. Tell him to do the shopping and food prep himself and shove his muesli where the sun doesn't shine.

Gruntfuttock Wed 12-Aug-15 13:36:59

It's carbs and fat, salt and sugar. Could do better.

talentedmrsripley Wed 12-Aug-15 13:39:07

I think he should be politer about he expressed himself but I have to admit I wouldn't be pleased if my children were given that for lunch.

Bunbaker Wed 12-Aug-15 13:39:26

DD loves it. I don't. I'm not a carb hater, but I don't like double carbs. It is too stodgy for me.

I also don't care for chip butties
Lasagne with chips
Pizza with chips

I do like fish and chips though grin

OstentatiousBreastfeeder Wed 12-Aug-15 13:40:45

Really insanity? I mean I'm defending them and even I'm raising an eyebrow at the one of your five-a-day claim grin

maybebabybee Wed 12-Aug-15 13:41:08

oh ffs, there's nothing wrong with carbs.

YoungBritishPissArtist Wed 12-Aug-15 13:41:41

This has made me really it for tea now grin Might have to pop down the shop to buy the hoops and thick white bread

BarbarianMum Wed 12-Aug-15 13:42:55

I think hoops on toast is pretty dire tbh but wtf is his problem with shepherds pie and veg?

Gruntfuttock Wed 12-Aug-15 13:43:22

Of course there's nothing wrong with carbs. They're my favourite, but my point was that there's nothing BUT carbs, fat, sugar and salt in that meal.

RoganJosh Wed 12-Aug-15 13:45:12

I don't see how it's better than KFC, which we eat sometimes.

fancyanotherfez Wed 12-Aug-15 13:45:40

God I'm thinking of setting up a buffet table of sausage rolls, cheese sticks and crisps every day of the holiday s from now on. I'm so sick of making food for the kids that the don't eat. Hoops on toast would be the only thing stopping scurvy by September! Your DH is becoming a health food bore. Tell him to do the cooking from now on

theconstantvacuumer Wed 12-Aug-15 13:46:24

I will admit to giving my kids hoops on toast. And fish fingers. And chicken nuggets. Not every day but maybe once a week. They eat plenty of homemade, nutritious stuff otherwise.

I can't understand why he's got an issue with homemade shepherds pie and veg?

DurhamDurham Wed 12-Aug-15 13:47:25

It's fine as lunch for growing children, like you say there are far worse things that you could be giving them.
Your husband has to look at the lunch within the contexts of what else they eat at other meal times.

Tell him to prepare lunch before he leaves the house on a morning if he is that bothered. I speak as someone whose husband fed our children 'picnics' while I was at work........it was basically anything they wanted out of the fridge and a bag of crisps set out on plastic plates on a rug in the living room. My girls loved it smile

formerbabe Wed 12-Aug-15 13:48:03

It's fine...my kids have beans on toast quite a bit...I usually stick some salad with it though.

MrsGentlyBenevolent Wed 12-Aug-15 13:49:17

This is what I was sometimes fed at my Grandmother's as a child (if with mother dearest, she would probably have forgotten it was lunch altogether, then huffed and puffed when I said I was hungry). Never did me or my siblings any harm. Even I, as the 'biggest' of all of them, wasn't a fat or unhealthy child (had a wobble in my teen years, but that was nothing to do with 'pasta shapes'!). Always had white bread as well, other than the days we had it with Smash potato (with extra butter and milk added). Happy days, always loved lunchtime at my Grandmother's. I'll do it for my kid as well, because life is too short to worry about brown bread and pasta shapes once in a while.

OstentatiousBreastfeeder Wed 12-Aug-15 13:49:33

I can't understand why he's got an issue with homemade shepherds pie and veg?

Well I asked him this, and 'the mashed potato is fatty and salty and empty of goodness'.

Next time I make it I'll make sure his topping is mashed spinach or something <shrug>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now