Talk

Advanced search

Is it okay to make my children walk until they beg to come home to bed?

(35 Posts)
MotherOfBleach Wed 12-Aug-15 12:21:10

Not literally beg of course, I don't want to cause them harm much

The teen has gotten into a habit over the holidays of staying up late and sleeping late. The pre teen has taken to copying her.

This means I have two over tired, hormonal girls who are constantly niggling at each other and me.

I sent them both up to bed early last night to no avail. I got them up early yesterday, they still would not sleep.

I have access to sea air.

They are 13 and 10.

The proposed walk is around 8 miles.

The teen wants to go, but only to go the arcade and if she sees her friends she is pretending she is not with us.

The pre teen wants to paddle on the beach with the dog, but wants to get the bus home and does not want to walk the full length of the beach. Her proposed walk is around 3 - 4 miles.

I will keep them well hydrated.

Theycallmemellowjello Wed 12-Aug-15 12:22:56

I don't really understand, you're proposing a long walk in the evening? I'm not sure I'd fancy that (is it after dinner?) but it's not exactly child abuse. It might work!

ArmySal Wed 12-Aug-15 12:22:58

Do it! Wish I had a scenic route to walk along, Manchester canal doesn't really cut it.

Spartans Wed 12-Aug-15 12:23:02

A good long walk is a gret idea, regardless of their sleeping habits.

We do 5 miles walks with ours they are 11 and 4

MotherOfBleach Wed 12-Aug-15 12:24:45

No, not evening, late afternoon until evening.

Setting off after lunch at around 2pm and aiming to be home by 9pm.

haveabreakhaveakitkat Wed 12-Aug-15 12:25:02

I'd get the bus there and walk back. 4 miles is roughly an hour and a half at a ploddy pace - lovely if it's a nice evening.

Snozberry Wed 12-Aug-15 12:29:47

A long silent walk in the dark next to a motorway or something would be mean - walking the dog on the beach with a trip to the arcade is a nice afternoon, they might even enjoy themselves once they are there. If they are laying in a heap with jellied legs at the end of it then I'd let them get the bus home.

HemanOrSheRa Wed 12-Aug-15 12:37:28

I think it's an excellent idea to try and wear them out and get some fresh air! I'm having the same issue with 10 year old DS. He went into some sort of horrible meltdown last night and told me he was full of 'bitter anger' grin. I, of course, responded by roaring with laughter and told him "Don't be daft, you're just knackered and just need to go to bloody sleep!"

kelda Wed 12-Aug-15 12:41:05

Eight miles for a 10 and 13 year old is fine! Hope you all enjoy it.

VolumniaDedlock Wed 12-Aug-15 12:43:07

beast them, definitely.

I have to make my four year old go for long hikes in the woods when she starts waking up too early. usually she moans for 10mins on the way there and the same on the way home, but generally manages to have quite a pleasant time, especially if we get all muddy in the stream.

asmallandnoisymonkey Wed 12-Aug-15 12:44:30

Do it! 8 miles is perfectly fine and will hopefully help to reset them to normal circadian rhythms - anyone thinking a 13 and 10 year old can't manage that needs to take themselves outside and give themselves a good talking to.

Take some snacks and a drink though! I sometimes get a bit grouchy on a longish walk even after lunch if I get peckish!

greenhill Wed 12-Aug-15 12:47:41

I'd take a few apples as well as the water. A few snacks and a stop to look at the view sounds lovely.

Mine had a 2 hour long walk over NT land and 15 minutes in a park as a rest yesterday, but are only 8 and 5.

MotherOfBleach Wed 12-Aug-15 12:48:44

The 10yo is arguing that the dog is only 6 and it is unfair make a "6yo baby dog" walk that far hmm I should at least let the dog get the bus home, she will chaperone him.

I plan on stopping for ice cream half way. It's not punishment, it's a nice day out (with the sole intention of getting them back into normal sleeping patterns)

grin @ bitter anger.

horseygeorgie Wed 12-Aug-15 12:49:14

sounds good to me! My DD (nearly 4) walks miles every day with dogs etc. Its good for them!

Nonnainglese Wed 12-Aug-15 12:53:47

Go for it, tell them that they need the exercise and it'll be fun (I hope!)
Certainly isn't too far, DGS walks 2 miles easily as a 2 year old.

They're just looking for excuses to wind you up.

asmallandnoisymonkey Wed 12-Aug-15 12:54:00

I think it sounds lovely, frankly! And ice creams would positively seal the deal for me!

Singleandproud Wed 12-Aug-15 12:54:13

I would take a full pack lunch, it's nice eating at the beach and they are perfectly capable of carrying their own things. You can even do jacket potatoes wrapped in foil and a flask of chilli con carne or spag Bol if they want something hot we live near the beach and often have that for our dinner after school.

Nonnainglese Wed 12-Aug-15 12:54:59

I wouldn't have told them how far, just plan and carry it out grin

HelsBels3000 Wed 12-Aug-15 12:55:31

YANBU - Lots and lots of dog-walking and running around the garden and tennis camp and more dog-walking is the only way to tire my DD - she has ADHD and loads of excess energy!

DeladionInch Wed 12-Aug-15 13:03:45

I'd set off about 10 and try and have them in bed at 8.

FithColumnist Wed 12-Aug-15 13:03:45

YANBU. Do it. Forced route-marches were a scarring happy part of my childhood. And I wouldn't have any truck with this "pretending she's not with you" business either.

NellysKnickers Wed 12-Aug-15 13:04:45

Nothing wrong with that at all. My two are 4 and 10. I walk them til they are exhausted regularly. Especially dc2, we go for a bike ride almost every evening to ensure he's knackered for bed. On the days we don't, he's a pain in the arse and drops off to sleep much later. If they moan all through the walk do it again the next night, telling them they obviously need more practice. grin

MotherOfBleach Wed 12-Aug-15 13:06:51

She won't be able to pretend she's not with us anyway, Fifth, the dog is a collie/whippet x, he will round her up if she wanders off grin

I suspect the 10yo is also part collie, she joins in merrily with the rounding up of stray family members hmm

5Foot5 Wed 12-Aug-15 13:09:17

8 miles is fine and it really shouldn't take anywhere near 7 hours. Unless you are going to have lots of picnic stops and so on.

FlowersAndShit Wed 12-Aug-15 13:11:53

YABU. an 8 mile walk in this heat would be my idea of hell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now