Advanced search

is this unreasonable

(17 Posts)
ghostspirit Wed 12-Aug-15 11:16:23

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30513439

smoking to be be banned in cars with children under age of 18

fieldfare Wed 12-Aug-15 11:18:39

Not unreasonable at all.
Why would you want to poison and pollute the lungs of children travelling with you?
People have the right to chose to smoke if they wish, just not where it impinges upon someone else.

Singsongsung Wed 12-Aug-15 11:21:32

How could it be unreasonable? Children in cars have no power to prevent having to inhale harmful smoke if their parent or whoever chooses to inflict it on them.
The saddest thing is that a law is necessary to convince some to stop wilfully harming their children in this way.

Gottagetmoving Wed 12-Aug-15 11:22:17

I am a smoker, I don't smoke that much but I wouldn't mind at all if smoking was banned in cars completely or at least with any passengers not just those under 18.
I was annoyed at the smoking ban in pubs, workplaces etc when it came in, but now I am glad it did because bit by bit I smoked less and less. You get used to it.
I can't believe now that I ever smoked in a car or in a building of any sort.

AlpacaMyBags Wed 12-Aug-15 11:23:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LurkingHusband Wed 12-Aug-15 11:27:24

What is unreasonable is the hypocrisy of a society willing to tolerate smoking on one hand, whilst telling us it's bad on the other.

If it's as bad as they say, it should be banned. If it's not banned, it can't be as bad as they say. Especially now we ban things that people think might be bad, there can be no justification for tobaccos continued legality.

iklboo Wed 12-Aug-15 11:28:46

I grew up with 3 adults practically chain smoking in a car, with the windows rolled up & the heater on most times. It was utterly, utterly miserable every time and I was sick on most journeys. I thought I was just car sick but it never happened when I was in cars with friends whose parents didn't smoke.

talentedmrsripley Wed 12-Aug-15 11:30:20

I hate it when people light up when you're a passenger.

FarFromAnyRoad Wed 12-Aug-15 11:30:57

Surely you can't find anything unreasonable about this OP? What are you saying with your thread title?

MrsGentlyBenevolent Wed 12-Aug-15 11:33:50

Even when I smoked, hated doing it in the car. Just blew back in my face, almost set my bag on fire once as the end dropped off, the smell sticks around more... That's all without passing it on 'second hand'. I don't care about smoking, some people can certainly get overly precious about it. In this case though, no can't disagree. I'd ban drivers smoking altogether, it's just another distraction.

MrsMummyPig Wed 12-Aug-15 11:42:27

About time! Although I can't believe any responsible adult actually needs to be told not to smoke with children in their car.
Im surprised smoking hasn't been banned altogether while driving. When I smoked I once dropped my cig onto my knee whilst driving (no kids in car) and luckily managed to retrieve it without causing an accident but it was a scary moment and I never lit up whilst driving again after that.

Crinkle77 Wed 12-Aug-15 12:01:30

It does seem a bit daft in that what is the point in banning in a car when the child is probably then surrounded by ciggy smoke when they are at home.

ghostspirit Wed 12-Aug-15 12:08:20

far im not saying anything really i dont drive anyway or smoke. what if an adult is smoking in car alone then kids get car 5 mins later car will still stink of smoke.

what about smoking in the home where children live. whats the point of banning smoking in the car. then to go home and smoke in the house. i guess its to do with the confinde space of a car.

Lurkedforever1 Wed 12-Aug-15 12:22:39

I'm a smoker and I agree entirely, smoking in a car with kids is vile. I think its actually worse than in a house because it's more confined. Not that I'm saying in a house with kids is ok.
When dd was preschool age and many of my friends were childless, the smell was always stronger in the smokers cars than their houses.

talentedmrsripley Wed 12-Aug-15 12:29:09

You're in a very confined space in a car and absolutely can't escape - very different to a house. I think smoking around children is unpleasant anyway but imagine being stuck in a small space with smoke for three hours?

ghostspirit Wed 12-Aug-15 12:52:45

i dont think smoking should be ok in the company of non smokers weather adult or children. but then im a non smoker so probably im alot one sided.

people used to smoke in my house when i was a kid. i remember often walking in to the living room and there was a thick haze of smoke.

if there are people smoking in their garden a couple of houses down i can smell it.

i guess its impossible to keep smoker and non smoker happy. but things have defently got better.

TenForward82 Wed 12-Aug-15 13:19:59

Unpopular opinion: I think smoking in general is vile and no one should do it. There's no reason for it, it's a drain on healthcare and has no positive benefits at all. I don't even understand why people start. "Hey, have this thing that tastes like crap and will slowly kill you - but it's cool, everyone is doing it!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now