Talk

Advanced search

To move into my DMs for 2 months and let my house out?

(21 Posts)
ThatWasMyFavouriteDressNow Tue 11-Aug-15 20:32:55

Saw this on Zoopla the other day

http://m.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/37032128?search_identifier=7716fb746d0be62bc64ab5ac59a90f3d

£28k a month WTF. Just down the road from me. My house is a 3 bed end of terrace on a large 1950s council estate but as it is nearer Twickenham stadium, local estate agents are confident I could get £12k a month.
Bearing in mind I am a part time postperson (desperately trying to get more hours and struggling financiallly a bit) and my gross pay is £15k p/a. No tax credits or any benefits at all. AIBU to move out for to months to my DMs (2 miles away) and get nearly 2 years net wages for it? Some friends are advising me not to.

Or WWYD?

ThatWasMyFavouriteDressNow Tue 11-Aug-15 20:35:25

Sorryy. Can't get the link to work.
How do you do that?
It is a 5 bed house on a short term let for Rugby world cup. At £28, 000 a month.

NoArmaniNoPunani Tue 11-Aug-15 20:37:50

Do it. You'll have to declare it to the taxman but even so it's a good earner.

NewToNoContact Tue 11-Aug-15 20:39:40

Go for it!

GemmaTeller Tue 11-Aug-15 20:42:29

Do it, I would.

I can't remember who it was bit I read an interview where a famous actress said she moves out and lets her house for Wimbledon.

caker Tue 11-Aug-15 20:42:33

I would! Sounds like easy money. Would you need different insurance or anything?

TrueDrWho Tue 11-Aug-15 20:45:05

Assuming you have a mortgage you have to check with them first I think as well as home/contents insurance

ghostyslovesheep Tue 11-Aug-15 20:45:23

it's that expensive because it is immaculate with a hot tub and all mod cons - not just location

but it sound like a brilliant plan anyway grin

FarFromAnyRoad Tue 11-Aug-15 20:45:36

Hell yes! In a flash! I'm sure the letting agent will advise re telling your insurance, mortgage lender etc.

ijustwannadance Tue 11-Aug-15 20:46:05

Why not? I know someone who did same thing 10 years ago during a golf open. Not sure what she got for the week but was thousands. She took everything valuable/sentimental/precious to her mums and went on hol. Can you do it through an agent who will take a cut but will be responsible for any damage etc

Etak15 Tue 11-Aug-15 20:46:09

Do it!

ILovedYouYesterday Tue 11-Aug-15 20:48:43

Clicky link:

m.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/37032128?search_identifier=7716fb746d0be62bc64ab5ac59a90f3d

You have to put [[ ]] around it to make it clicky.

Can you cope with two months at your mum's? I'd find it hard going but I could probably grin and bear it for that amount!

The one you link to is a lovely house, high spec and quite bland.

Can you clear your house of personal stuff, make it holiday cottage like? I would imagine that's what people would want if renting it.

Would it cost you money to get it ready, advertise etc? If it then didn't get booked, could you end up out of pocket?

But, yes, I would seriously consider doing it.

FunHouseGrandPrix Tue 11-Aug-15 20:54:01

shock £28k a month. I was sure that was a typo in your OP but obviously not. I would definitely do it for £12k a month !

Charlesroi Tue 11-Aug-15 21:00:56

Hell yes. You'd clear nearly 20 grand after tax.

GlowWine Tue 11-Aug-15 21:05:33

Good luck, go for it if you can make it work. A (single) friend of mine rented out his house for a year or so (no special events) and rented a small room in a mate's house, just to catch up on his mortgage repayments!

Fluffyears Tue 11-Aug-15 21:14:37

I know seone who rents his flat out during Edinburgh festival as he lives very close to the city centre and goes on holiday and then stays with family.

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Tue 11-Aug-15 21:15:12

Goodness do it!! I would! I was impressed that our house/area commands almost double per month what our mortgage payments are, definitely something to think about but 12k!! That could sort you out for a long time!!

ohidoliketobe Tue 11-Aug-15 21:18:36

Do it! The Open was held locally a few years back and a few colleagues at the time did 6 week rentals of their houses. They made a nice bit of money out of it

talentedmrsripley Tue 11-Aug-15 21:29:50

Who's want to move in for 2 months though?wouldnt it need to be 6 months minimum?

I'd still do it though grin

ThatWasMyFavouriteDressNow Tue 11-Aug-15 21:35:09

Thanks for all your advice on links, tax, insurance and up front costs/ risk.
Will definitely be hard staying with my mum for2 months. I love her dearly but it is is hard for us to live together.

It could be the money I need to make the move I want to
.No mortgage, bought from council 15 years ago for £25k with massive discount (outrageous I know, against my principles and I feel guilty) and paid it off with my redundancy from Royal Mail.

Just find it hard to believe that anyone would pay this much to stay in my house.
The local estate agents are nearly begging me to let it through them butI don't trust them really.

Think I will go for it. See what happens.

Have had a hard few years, things are starting to go better for me maybe.

Just been told today that Royal Mail are giving me 6 extra hours per week. Which means I can get £1000 p/a in tax credits. WTF! When I was earning less I couldn't get any TC. now I will earn more they will give me more.
I know I won't get TC if I let my house out, but next year?
Maybe I can get back on my feet now.

rockybalboa Tue 11-Aug-15 21:38:11

I would absolutely do it in your circumstances. Amazing. Go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now