Talk

Advanced search

to post here for traffic?

(8 Posts)
YUDOTHIS Tue 11-Aug-15 17:09:03

I'm really sorry to post here but I need advice asap,
My younger sister (16, 17 in jan 2016 if thats relevant) is legally homeless, My mother and her had a massive bust up and now she is out on her arse basically and sofa surfing with older friends, the door is open here for short term stays but I cannot have her here longterm (DP, me and 2 DC in a flat while we sort out a big move), I've had her telling me with whom she is staying, their number and address etc in case anything goes wrong/so i can get hold of her. she's been out of my mums house for a month. She said she was quite happy to sort herself out in terms of housing, benefits, support with getting back into education (not currently in education and has no GCSE's), however this morning she called me in tears saying she's so confused as she has no idea where to start? I've been sending her money every week so she doesn't have to resort to anything awful out of desperation, I'd hate for my baby sister to be unable to afford food etc. I'm really not sure what to advise her, where to go etc. She doesn't have an NI number as they've stopped sending cards now and mum "lost" the letter with it on, so she has no idea where this leaves her in respect of claiming benefits
What can I advise her to do?
thank you in advance,
MNHQ- if you feel theres a more appropriate topic please feel free to move this x

catzpyjamas Tue 11-Aug-15 17:19:05

She can phone to find out her NI number on 0300 200 3500.
She needs to speak to her local council about accommodation as she is technically homeless. There info here:
www.gov.uk/emergency-housing-if-homeless

or she can contact Shelter for advice:
england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/help_from_the_council_when_homeless/eligibility_for_assistance

Hope she gets something sorted soon. A friend of my DSS has just been through this with his DM . He now has a job, college place and flat after months of sofa surfing.

Redshoes55 Tue 11-Aug-15 17:23:10

Isn't your mum frantic with worry about her. She's only 16? Has she a dad in contact? My dd is 16 and this sounds awful but of course there are obviously circumstances you may not wish to share here and understand that.

YUDOTHIS Tue 11-Aug-15 17:23:41

Catz thats very encouraging, thank you for your help.x

YUDOTHIS Tue 11-Aug-15 17:27:13

Redshoes, when it comes to my M we're talking about a woman who struck out at me while I was holding DS(newborn at the time), I won't go into my sisters circumstances with her as its not my circumstances to share but I hope you can see why my mother isn't the best of parents x

YUDOTHIS Tue 11-Aug-15 17:31:57

Sorry missed your question, No dad around, he hasn't been seen by any of my siblings or myself for at least 5yrs and it'll likely forever stay that way.

bilbodog Tue 11-Aug-15 17:43:31

there are some charities around who specifically help young people who are facing homeless ness but it might d epend where you are. In Bucks there is the Housing Interaction Trust - might be worth a google to see if there is anything similar to you? Good luck - it is not an easy situation for you both to be in.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Tue 11-Aug-15 18:41:22

If you're in East Yorks look up Doorstep or Riverside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now